“Wonderful Time” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #33 of 215 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Naples, Florida
“Wonderful Time”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2011

We returned home from the Long Bay resort and loved everything about it except the rude college students that had no respect for the Long Bay staff or any visitors. This did not stop the fun we had and we certainly enjoyed the amenities that Long Bay offers. The pool areas were always clean and the condo was very clean. We had a 3 bdrm condo on the 16th floor which was very updated. It also was very quiet and the view was certainly the best on Ocean drive.
We certainly did not let any rude students ruin our vacation. We were impressed with the management staff at Long Bay who handled the situation very well. We certainly will be back at Long Bay on our next vacation.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (388)
Roanoke, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2011

The hotel was clean, the pools were great, and the location was great for the price. It's funny because the parking garage is the whole front of the hotel and most of the rooms when you exit them you are looking at the parking garage.

Room Tip: I would go on their website
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Tanya_Manager, Manager at Long Bay Resort, responded to this review, May 25, 2011
Thanks for writing such a great review in regards to your most recent stay at Long Bay Resort. I am glad to hear that the location was great for you and your family, also that you were able to enjoyable a great price. I hope that you will be visiting again in the future.

Bay City, Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2011

My family just returned home last night from an 18 hour drive from the Long Bay Resort. It was our first family vacation - we've saved a year for this trip - the condo cost $1100 plus over $350 in gas. I have to say - I am totally disappointed in the Long Bay Resort!!! I have stayed there before, and the only reason my entire family stayed there this trip was because I've raved over the hotel and pool areas so much. I feel like I totally ruined my family's vacation by suggesting this hotel! So many things went so terribly wrong this trip!

When I made the reservations, I'd requested a specific condo I've stayed in numerous times before, and the lady taking my reservation said she'd put in a request for the penthouse as well because of the size of our group. When we checked in, I was informed by Seth that both of the rooms on our reservation request had been booked and filled already. We checked in shortly after 3pm so we'd have a better chance to get our requested room. I have always been told when making reservations that you cannot reserve a specific condo, that they're filled as you check in. Apparently this is a lie! Upon my check in, Seth informed me that the condo had been reserved over a year in advance for our week. How can this happen? Why was that party able to reserve a specific condo when mine wasn't? I'd requested room 503 because it doesn't face the resort pools area. We had a 4 year old and a 19 month old in our group -- I wanted it to be quieter for them to be able to take naps and sleep sounder. The condo we were put in was 501, facing the inside resort area and was really, really, REALLY loud our time there. People yelling from balconies down to people on the beach starting at 3am and going all day and night.

I'd also asked Seth if we were able to move rooms should room 503 come open during our stay. He informed me that it was booked the entire time of our stay -- it was NOT! Those people checked out 4 days before we did...I don't understand why we weren't allowed to move rooms, when I'd made a specific request to let us know when it came open and that we wanted to move.

Another problem was parking in the Savoy Building -- when I made the reservation, I specifically asked if there would be adequate parking in that parking lot for 2 vehicles for our group and was told it wouldn't be a problem, there was sufficient parking there. WRONG! We ended up parking in the PAY parking because the entire parking lot and parking garage were full. That added extra cost to our trip. One night we did get to park the van in the reservation parking, but that wasn't what I was told upon making our reservation. It wasn't until I was checking out and voicing my displeasure in the situation for the 3rd time, that I was informed there is "over-flow" parking located across Ocean Blvd. Why weren't we told that before (in all the years I've stayed here, I've never heard about that parking lot!), it sure would have saved us a lot of extra $$ from having to use the metered parking.

When we checked into the Savoy Building on Saturday (5/14) - there was so much sand in the bottom of the pool out front there, we wouldn't use it - it was disgusting! I called down to the front desk and informed them the pool was nasty and needed some cleaning - I was told they'd get to it. It wasn't until MONDAY that the pool was vaccumed and cleaned!

This resort was a complete mess the time we were there May 14-19th!! It was Gettysburg College's Senior Week and apparently they all stayed at the LBR. We complained to the employees at the front desk and the cleaning/maintenance staff time and time again about issues during our stay and I was only told "We can't control everyone, the... manager has been told". I do understand, things are going to happen - but this was totally uncalled for and completely ruined our vacation...you might not be able to control everyone -- but something should have been done to make it nicer for the familys paying a lot of money to stay here! We should NOT have had to put up with this crap! We paid a great deal of money for a nice family vacation!!

The lazy river was shut down for part of a day because one of the drunks rammed their car into the parking garage lot and knocked down part of a wall. That ruined our plans for that afternoon using the pool areas as it was shut off with caution tape everywhere. There were pool towels and beer cans scattered everywhere - but the beach was the worst part. It was hard to find a place that hadn't been trashed with towels left out, underwear left on the pool area and beach multiple times, beer cans, stuff just left all over the beach. The boys in the room next to ours (502) told us they were almost evicted because they'd trashed their room -- unfortunately, we heard most of it because they were so loud and rude. Beer cans in the hallway and the whole floor reeked of stale beer. They'd eaten bbq ribs one night and left the bones in the hallway and tossed down towards the lazy river from the inside balcony. The cleaning ladies told us they'd been told not to even bother with cleaning that room because it was so trashed. These college kids destroyed parts of the resort and completely trashed the beach out front!

Overall -- just a complete disappointment in the hotel's amenities this time and the lack of care or respect by the front desk clerks when voicing our disappointments. I understand "you can't control everyone"....but my whole family's vacation was an absolute disappointment because it didn't seem anyone cared enough to do anything about anybody. The yelliing from the balconies all hours of the morning (from 3am on), the trash everywhere, the unclean pool area, the lazy river being shut, inadequate parking, dis-satisfaction with the reservations, lack of customer service when making my complaints or efforts to help correct thes problems, etc....just the worst trip I've had to the LBR and a total failure of a vacation. Why wasn't anything done to help us salvage our vacation??

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
I apologize for the issues that you experienced during your stay at Long Bay Resort. We pride ourselves in being a family oriented resort and we do not typically attract the type of college crowd that was here during your stay. Due to the issues that we had from this college group and to avoid this from happening in the future, we are taking a look at changing the age that can check in without an adult to 25.

In regards to the pool area, the pools are cleaned daily in the mornings and checked throughout the day by our maintenance staff. We also have a pool attendant on staff that goes to the beach access area as well as the beach property in front of our resort to check for things that may be left behind and to also pick up trash and other items.

We have a ten story parking garage attached to our main tower and assigned parking at the Savoy building which is where you stayed. Visitors are more than welcomed to park in the visitor parking spaces at the Savoy building or in our main tower. Rooms are assigned the morning of your arrival. We do not guarantee specific unit numbers to any of our guest, only room types.

Again, I do want to apologize that your stay did not turn out as you planned. We look forward to better serving you in the future.

Williamsport, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2011

This is the 2nd time I've stayed at Long Bay and thoroughly enjoyed it. We had a 3 bedroom oceanfront which was perfect for us. The rooms were very clean and spaceous. We had everything we needed, including a washer/dryer, which was great with a 2 y/o. The submarine pool was great for the 2y/o, and we also enjoyed the outdoor pool when the weather was good, and other times we used the heated pool and the lazy river. The location was great and close to everything. Would absolutely stay here again.

Room Tip: Spend the extra and get an ocean front room.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your 2nd stay at Long Bay Resort. We really appreciate our repeat guest and the great reviews you place on trip advisor for other potential guest to see. We look forward to having again as guest at Long Bay Resort in the future.

Corning, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2011

We had three adults, two teens and a young child in our group. The suite was comfortable and well maintained as was the rest of the facility. Wonderful spot on the beach. It was the perfect way to let go of the winter blahs and the staff was friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Go for the ocean view - it's worth it.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
It sounds like your extended family had an enjoyable stay at the Long Bay Resort. There's no better place to be then the beach after a long hard winter. It's nice to hear that you not only enjoyed your accommodations, but also got great guest service. I hope you and your family will be back again very soon.

Linthicum Heights, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2011

Our foursome has stayed at Long Bay Resort for the last 3 years and find it to be one of the best, if not the best, place to stay for a week of golf and leisure. The golf department has never failed to accomodate us with courses and tee times we requested. The overall hotel staff (desk clerks, housecleaning, etc.) is also very accomodating and efficient. The on site restaurant is a plus for breakfast and the parking garage is a bonus for convenience in loading and unloading luggage and golf bags.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
Cleveland, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2011

Long Bay Resort is by far the nicest hotel I have stayed at in Myrtle Beach. The Staff is friendly and helpful, the rooms are clean, and security is very friendly as well. I love the ocean, and I will definately recommend Long Bay Resort to all of my friends and family memebers.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are wonderful!
  • Stayed April 2011

Been to Long Bay Resort? Share your experiences!