“Awful, awful service” 1 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #30 of 760 Restaurants in Myrtle Beach
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Description: We have some of the best soul food in myrtle beach ,our blue plate special is the best deal in town at $ 8.75 A plate.Soul food the way your mama made it!!!!
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Awful, awful service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

My family and I were really looking forward to eating here because it received such high ratings, but unfortunately, we never got the opportunity to eat any food. We arrived early before the dinner rush, around 5:00. There was only one other table being occupied, and they were finished their meal. We stood by the counters, waiting for someone to tell us to sit anywhere or show us to tables. One worker sat at the counter eating her food, and another was behind the counter texting totally ignoring us. Another work was in the cook area actually working, but she didn't have time for us because the other two workers should've addressed us. After standing there for a few minutes, we decided to seat ourselves. And we sat.....and sat... and sat... We were never acknowledged. After 10 minutes, my husband said "let's go. If they can't greet us and give us menus, then they must not want our business." We left. I would give them a pass if the place was busy, but it wasn't. There were only two tables occupied. I guess the two workers at the counter had more important things to do, i.e. eat and text, then to greet customers, and the other one seemed to be picking up the slack, but she couldn't do the job of 3 people.

Visited August 2013
BigMike843, Owner at Big Mike's Soul Food, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
This is Big Mike himself. I just wanted to apologize for the lack of attention and service that you received. If you could be more specific about the day that you came in to eat so I can address the situation with my staff. I would greatly appreciate it and hope that you would give us another try in the near future. Thank you for your help.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Average Soul Food!!!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

I visited Big Mike's and was disappointed based on where it was ranked on TripAdvisor. I have had a lot better tasting soul food. The chicken, mac and cheese and French fries were good. The cornbread breaks up in your hand. The fried fish, mash potato, cabbage and greens had no flavor. They had a limited actual soul food menu and each day they write on a chalk board. No Candy Yams on the menu at all. I also don't like when places put all the food on one plate, especially with food with juices running all over the plate and making the food soggy. I like sides in small individual dishes.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Not Mama's cooking and over-hyped!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013 via mobile

We went here on a Monday night and they were out of white meat and Mac and cheese. We returned early the next day and the food was definitely NOT what the reviewers said it would be! The hush puppies were hard and overcooked! The string beans were bland, the mashed potatoes were Instant! The chicken was good but nothing special and no ice cream for the canned peaches cobbler. The place was dirty and smelled like the powdered carpet deodorizer. Service was great and waitresses were nice!

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
new york city
“Run, don't walk!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

We went to Big Mike's based on TripAdvisor and once again, I think this site has changed the way we travel. When we asked directions from our concierge, she hadn't even heard of it! Well, it was a wonderful experience for our first night in Myrtle Beach. Food was outstanding, service terrific. We even got to meet Big Mike, a warm, enthusiastic chef who has created an environment where locals and tourists are welcome. We had the blue plate specials, I ordered collard greens in an attempt to put something healthy on my plate, and they were truly the best I'd ever had. The fried chicken was delish, mac and cheese, cole slaw, all as good as it gets. Tonight's restaurant choice will be a tough act to follow...I'm glad we made such a wonderful choice!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Baltimore, Maryland
“Good Food Good Price”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

It was six of us, the food was wonderful. We only paid $46.00 for 6 people and it was plenty. This included the drinks and some peach cobbler for 3. I did not get to have the mac and cheese and I was disappointed.

Visited August 2013