“Don't believe the hype....Dirty establishment & bland food” 2 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #30 of 760 Restaurants in Myrtle Beach
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Description: We have some of the best soul food in myrtle beach ,our blue plate special is the best deal in town at $ 8.75 A plate.Soul food the way your mama made it!!!!
rockville, md
“Don't believe the hype....Dirty establishment & bland food”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

I was so excited to visit Big Mike's Soul Food due to the great ratings I had read on trip advisor. It was a big SIKE for me as the blinds up to the windows were disgustingly dirty as though they hadn't been cleaned in YEARS. The collard greens were full of huge stems and lacked seasoning; the mashed potatos tasted like they were from a box and the gravy was even worse; the macaroni and cheese was not cheesey; the cornbread crumbled and tasted stale; they ran out of white meat chicken and the dark meat was chewy; the peach cobbler had been microwaved and was just a big clump of gooey dough with very little peaches.

Big Mike's left a lot to be desired and he needs to go back to the drawing board and try again being that his website states he's been cooking for over 30 years. He should call Robert Irvine from Restaurant Impossible on the Food Network and request a makeover with his establishment and menu. The lack of cleanliness is really unacceptable as he and his staff should be able to handle it.

There's a daily special platter for $7.95 in which you get a meat, three side dishes, a piece of cornbread and a drink. There's an additional discount if you're a senior and there's no kids menu whatsoever.

When in Myrtle Beach don't waste your time NOR money on Big Mike's! Yuck!!!!

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Woodbine, Maryland
“Was hoping this would as great as everyone claimed.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

Always looking for great places to eat within walking distance of our condo. This place gets rave reviews so it was a must try. I had the blue plate special, the fried chicken was good, the black eyed/field peas were also good. The cornbread was so dry that it fell into crumbs when I picked it up. However the biggest disappointment were the mashed potatoes. They tasted like nasty instant potatoes. The interior was dirty and unattractive. My waitress seemed kind but struggled to speak to me, however another waitress was extremely out going and friendly, she made sure I had a drink, etc. Maybe it was just bad timing.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Pittsburgh
“Price is right”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

Looking for something different, reasonable and not a buffet so we tried Big Mike's. This is a very small restaurant so we had a bit of a wait and ended up sitting at the counter. The staff is very friendly. We ordered the fried chicken blue plate. Be sure to specify if you have a white meat preference otherwise you will get dark meat only. Overall the food was average home cooked tasting but the price was right. Nothing spectacular that we would have to return for.

Visited July 2013
Waldorf MD
“Great Food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013 via mobile

My family had a taste for soul food so I found Big Mikes on trip advisor and we were not disappointed. Blue plate special for 7.95 includes chicken/fish or pork chops, 3 sides, corn bread & a drink! The food was really good and cooked to order and the servers were awesome. We will definitely return.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Spectacular!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013 via mobile

Went to Big Mikes after reading several reviews on here and was expecting a pretty good meal. What I got was an amazing home cooked meal that took me right back to my mommas kitchen. My wife and I both had the blue plate special and everything we had was amazing. The peach cobbler was delicious and the service truly made us feel at home. By far the best and most inexpensive meal we had while in Myrtle Beach and we will certainly be back!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere