“Nightmare on Ocean Blvd.” 1 of 5 stars

and 1 more site!
Wave Rider Resort
1600 S Ocean Blvd, Myrtle Beach, SC 29577   |
Ranked #145 of 214 hotels in Myrtle Beach
“Nightmare on Ocean Blvd.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013 via mobile

Let me start by saying this is the worst hotel I've ever stayed! The building is extremely old and infested with roaches! They were in the shower above my head, coming from cracks in the walls and floors in the bedroom. We couldn't sleep at night because every time we would turn off the lights they would come from everywhere. There were leaks all over the hotel. The curtains were mildewed! The office closed completely down at night and no one is available for assistance! And NO REFUND is given for any reason at all! Don't stay here at all. The rooms are cheap but you will pay in different ways.... Never again room 338 (hell)

• Stayed July 2013

105 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
myrtle beach
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

I needed a quick room for saturday night last. And was able to get one at the wave rider, He said it was thebest he could offer me and heck I've paid more money for a bad room this was perfect clean and comfortable and had breakfast to. great customer service. and very hostpiatality was good thanks to greg and his staff for helping me so promptly.

Room Tip: I was on second floor so no noise or passersby did i hear.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
myrtle beach
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

this time if year is very slow and usually quiet in myrtle beach and my stay at the waverider on the beach was exactly that.i found service good the front desk person sylvia and i think a guy ,greg took xare of me as i needed a place quickly for a couple of nights and even ot got breakfast included . I would recommend this place..i felt when i called they explained all things to me as i wasnt positive i was going to be ther but they told me about my deposit so i waited till i was positive and made my reservation.

Room Tip: corner suites are large andsunny as long as the suns out.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Sevierville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

Was in transition awaiting on a apartment to come available. Work at a local resort here in town, the staff was very friendly and the room clean. It was on the back side of the building and was very quiet at night. In the heart of South Myrtle Beach within walking distance to many attractions.

Room Tip: This property is managed by a management group and is individually owned by different people. Amenit...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012 via mobile

My family has stayed at this resort many times and we are always very satisfied ..Greg and Henry are always doing the extras to make our stay the best it can be...I highly recommend this resort to all

• Stayed June 2012
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012 via mobile

Iocation is directly across the street from the ocean. Great pools wonderful staff and clean rooms. Best of all the rates they charge Is inexpensive compared to others we looked at. They have a free continental each morning which had waffles cereals jellies toast coffee juices doughnuts. They had an indoor pool outdoor pools lazy river and a convince store. I would recommend this hotel to anymore . I will be back

• Stayed August 2012
Chattanooga, Tennessee
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

NASTY! ROACHES! Bad beds. Doors don't lock. FILTHY! Safety Hazards. Pet urine, holes in towels, cords draped across the room, stained sheets, rusty decor on walls, roach infested room, broken dishes, filthy appliances, outdated worn furniture, unusable sofa bed, no smoke alarms, holes in the wall, falling wall paper, mold, broken bed frames. Air conditioner quilt working! We didn't even want to bring in our bag, because we were afraid of bringing bugs home with us. We were afraid to leave our room because it was to hot to lock our electronics in the car, and the room door didn't lock so we couldn't leave them there. The beds were so nasty that we bought blankets and slept on top of the bedding. I laid in bed and cried to go home. RUINED OUR VACATION! ROOMS are not the SAME! There are some nice rooms here, but it's luck of the draw that your reservation will actually be for one of the remodeled rooms. We were put in a BAD room. Front desk said it's because "owners get paid when people stay in their room." Apparently the reservationist is required to book all rooms equally even if they are inhabitable. Lost 2 full days trying to trade rooms. Hotel doesn't honor deposits or transfer dates/rooms. Halls, lobby, and facilities aren't maintained. Staff is a joke. Breakfast is ridiculous, you'll be better off stopping at a vending machine. Pools close early, office opens late, staff lives at hotel and hangs out but never works. Maintenance man is a joke. Front office staff Robert tried his best to help us but it was beyond his control and he was SO overwhelmed. We met one really nice housekeeper that kept us in clean sheets and towels after we transferred rooms. This place has such potential to be a diamond but it's being ran in the ground! AVOID ROOM 157. It's NASTY and a SAFETY HAZARD! Room 246 was acceptable. You wouldn't believe they were in the same building. PLEASE PLEASE don't ruin your family vacation by staying at the Wave Rider. I'll never stay there again. I could write a huge list of complaints but I think my pictures speak for their self. If you are even considering staying here... be sure you look at the photos, I'm sure you'll change your mind. You'll feel dirty and unsafe here.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
pgw9393, Manager at Wave Rider Resort, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
I am so sorry to hear that you were not pleased with your stay at the Wave Rider. We work very hard to provide each guest with the best possible vacation. We share in your concern over the roach that you saw in your cabinet and apologize for the inconveniences it may have caused. We have a professional pest control company who comes out every third Monday of the month to do a preventive spraying for these types of pest. However unfortunately every once in a while we do receive a complaint regarding this type of pest. Our policy is to immediately address any concerns by a guest by shutting the room down and having the pest control company come out to spray again.

Please note that all of our units here are individually owned and we are working continuously with our homeowners to update their units. The vast majority of the units are lovely and we do rent our nicest units first. Therefore, when you make a last minute reservation often the best units are already taken. Since your review, we have made many changes to the room, including removing all of the wallpaper and texturing and painting the entire condo.

Any time you have a problem or complaint we encourage you to let us know so that we can do everything in our power to correct the situation. According to your review you did mention that Robert who works our front desk tried his best to accommodate you and your family and we were successful in moving you to another room, which met your needs.

Again I am sorry to hear you were not pleased, however I do think that much of your review is exaggerated and simply untrue. For starters you said that our office opens late and our pools close early. Our office is open each day by 8am; however most days our general manager is in the office working by 7:30am. Our office closes during the summer around 10PM, DHEC regulations prohibit the pools from being open when the office is closed due to guests may not have access to a phone in the event of an emergency and this is the reason why the pools close at 10PM each night.

You also mentioned that the halls, lobby, and facilities aren’t maintained and that our staff is a joke that hangs out but never works. Our lobby was completely renovated less than 1 ½ years ago. We spent a great deal of time and money to improve this area and have had many complements of the way it looks. Over the past few years we have also worked hard to improve the over all appearance of the resort. In addition to the items already mentioned, we have added a fitness center, upgraded our continental breakfast area, added a convenience store, upgraded our guest laundry facilities, and installed a media room where guests who check in via the front desk can view emails, browse the internet and make free long distance calls to anywhere in the US or Canada. Many of your photos showed parts of the outside portion of our building where there was a little bit of rust showing. During our slow season we do touch up paint these areas throughout out building so we will not disturb the guests during our busy season, however as you can imagine with the saltwater in the air there is going to be small rust spots showing at virtually any resort you visit in the Myrtle Beach Area. This building was built in the 60’s so I would expect to have it show some wear and tear, but overall I believe the building looks well.

We do have several of our staff members who live on site. Each of them typically works 7 days a week and begin their day at around 6:30am, their schedule allows them to take breaks whenever the cleanup of trash and debris has been taken care of, typically they are back to work at around 4Pm removing trash from the property to take to the trash compactor a few blocks from the resort. Many times at night they are still walking the property as after hour security to keep people out of the pools after hours. I have had numerous complements from various homeowners and repeat guests who have stayed at the Wave Rider for a number of years, regarding my staff’s dedication to cleaning the property.

I am sorry that you thought our breakfast was “ridiculous, and that you’ll be better off stopping at a vending machine”. We added the continental breakfast a couple of years ago, Even though most smaller resorts such as ours do not offer any type of free breakfast, we felt it was necessary to help better satisfy our guests needs. We offer two types of cereal, a variety of doughnuts, eggo waffles, toast, and a variety of oatmeal. An assortment of jellies, milk, orange juice, and coffee is also available each morning during the months of May through September. These items typically satisfies most guests, however if a guest wants more we do encourage them to stop by one of the many breakfast restaurants in the Myrtle Beach area where they can expect to pay about $10.00 per person.

Been to Wave Rider Resort? Share your experiences!