“Great Vacation wonderful location” 5 of 5 stars

You added Wave Rider Resort to your Saves list
Wave Rider Resort
1600 S Ocean Blvd, Myrtle Beach, SC 29577   |
Ranked #99 of 214 hotels in Myrtle Beach
“Great Vacation wonderful location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012 via mobile

Iocation is directly across the street from the ocean. Great pools wonderful staff and clean rooms. Best of all the rates they charge Is inexpensive compared to others we looked at. They have a free continental each morning which had waffles cereals jellies toast coffee juices doughnuts. They had an indoor pool outdoor pools lazy river and a convince store. I would recommend this hotel to anymore . I will be back

• Stayed August 2012

89 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Chattanooga, Tennessee
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

NASTY! ROACHES! Bad beds. Doors don't lock. FILTHY! Safety Hazards. Pet urine, holes in towels, cords draped across the room, stained sheets, rusty decor on walls, roach infested room, broken dishes, filthy appliances, outdated worn furniture, unusable sofa bed, no smoke alarms, holes in the wall, falling wall paper, mold, broken bed frames. Air conditioner quilt working! We didn't even want to bring in our bag, because we were afraid of bringing bugs home with us. We were afraid to leave our room because it was to hot to lock our electronics in the car, and the room door didn't lock so we couldn't leave them there. The beds were so nasty that we bought blankets and slept on top of the bedding. I laid in bed and cried to go home. RUINED OUR VACATION! ROOMS are not the SAME! There are some nice rooms here, but it's luck of the draw that your reservation will actually be for one of the remodeled rooms. We were put in a BAD room. Front desk said it's because "owners get paid when people stay in their room." Apparently the reservationist is required to book all rooms equally even if they are inhabitable. Lost 2 full days trying to trade rooms. Hotel doesn't honor deposits or transfer dates/rooms. Halls, lobby, and facilities aren't maintained. Staff is a joke. Breakfast is ridiculous, you'll be better off stopping at a vending machine. Pools close early, office opens late, staff lives at hotel and hangs out but never works. Maintenance man is a joke. Front office staff Robert tried his best to help us but it was beyond his control and he was SO overwhelmed. We met one really nice housekeeper that kept us in clean sheets and towels after we transferred rooms. This place has such potential to be a diamond but it's being ran in the ground! AVOID ROOM 157. It's NASTY and a SAFETY HAZARD! Room 246 was acceptable. You wouldn't believe they were in the same building. PLEASE PLEASE don't ruin your family vacation by staying at the Wave Rider. I'll never stay there again. I could write a huge list of complaints but I think my pictures speak for their self. If you are even considering staying here... be sure you look at the photos, I'm sure you'll change your mind. You'll feel dirty and unsafe here.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
pgw9393, Manager at Wave Rider Resort, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
I am so sorry to hear that you were not pleased with your stay at the Wave Rider. We work very hard to provide each guest with the best possible vacation. We share in your concern over the roach that you saw in your cabinet and apologize for the inconveniences it may have caused. We have a professional pest control company who comes out every third Monday of the month to do a preventive spraying for these types of pest. However unfortunately every once in a while we do receive a complaint regarding this type of pest. Our policy is to immediately address any concerns by a guest by shutting the room down and having the pest control company come out to spray again.

Please note that all of our units here are individually owned and we are working continuously with our homeowners to update their units. The vast majority of the units are lovely and we do rent our nicest units first. Therefore, when you make a last minute reservation often the best units are already taken. Since your review, we have made many changes to the room, including removing all of the wallpaper and texturing and painting the entire condo.

Any time you have a problem or complaint we encourage you to let us know so that we can do everything in our power to correct the situation. According to your review you did mention that Robert who works our front desk tried his best to accommodate you and your family and we were successful in moving you to another room, which met your needs.

Again I am sorry to hear you were not pleased, however I do think that much of your review is exaggerated and simply untrue. For starters you said that our office opens late and our pools close early. Our office is open each day by 8am; however most days our general manager is in the office working by 7:30am. Our office closes during the summer around 10PM, DHEC regulations prohibit the pools from being open when the office is closed due to guests may not have access to a phone in the event of an emergency and this is the reason why the pools close at 10PM each night.

You also mentioned that the halls, lobby, and facilities aren’t maintained and that our staff is a joke that hangs out but never works. Our lobby was completely renovated less than 1 ½ years ago. We spent a great deal of time and money to improve this area and have had many complements of the way it looks. Over the past few years we have also worked hard to improve the over all appearance of the resort. In addition to the items already mentioned, we have added a fitness center, upgraded our continental breakfast area, added a convenience store, upgraded our guest laundry facilities, and installed a media room where guests who check in via the front desk can view emails, browse the internet and make free long distance calls to anywhere in the US or Canada. Many of your photos showed parts of the outside portion of our building where there was a little bit of rust showing. During our slow season we do touch up paint these areas throughout out building so we will not disturb the guests during our busy season, however as you can imagine with the saltwater in the air there is going to be small rust spots showing at virtually any resort you visit in the Myrtle Beach Area. This building was built in the 60’s so I would expect to have it show some wear and tear, but overall I believe the building looks well.

We do have several of our staff members who live on site. Each of them typically works 7 days a week and begin their day at around 6:30am, their schedule allows them to take breaks whenever the cleanup of trash and debris has been taken care of, typically they are back to work at around 4Pm removing trash from the property to take to the trash compactor a few blocks from the resort. Many times at night they are still walking the property as after hour security to keep people out of the pools after hours. I have had numerous complements from various homeowners and repeat guests who have stayed at the Wave Rider for a number of years, regarding my staff’s dedication to cleaning the property.

I am sorry that you thought our breakfast was “ridiculous, and that you’ll be better off stopping at a vending machine”. We added the continental breakfast a couple of years ago, Even though most smaller resorts such as ours do not offer any type of free breakfast, we felt it was necessary to help better satisfy our guests needs. We offer two types of cereal, a variety of doughnuts, eggo waffles, toast, and a variety of oatmeal. An assortment of jellies, milk, orange juice, and coffee is also available each morning during the months of May through September. These items typically satisfies most guests, however if a guest wants more we do encourage them to stop by one of the many breakfast restaurants in the Myrtle Beach area where they can expect to pay about $10.00 per person.
Anderson, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

my second year at the wave rider was wonderful.the people were very friendly and helpful.the pool was nice and cool.the housekeeping was very helpful.and our room was great.great prices for rooms and the people in the office were so pleasant.this will be the only place that we will stay when we come back next year.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

We stayed at Wave Rider for the first time and we were blown away by how helpful and friendly the staff was - they went out of their way to help us when we had questions or needed something. A great value!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
pgw9393, Manager at Wave Rider Resort, responded to this review, August 7, 2012
We are so glad that you had such a good time here at the Wave Rider! We all work very hard to ensure that our guests have the best vacation experience possible. Thank you for taking the time to post such a wonderful review and we look forward to having you back with us again.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012 via mobile

This hotel is very nasty. The people are supper rude. I smelled gas in my room and went to the front desk expressing my concerns. The man at the front desk was very rude told me he was aware on the smell and he had called someone to come fix it. I asked for a refund due to the smell of gas. He told me no refunds were given.At this point I decided to call the police department and they sent out firemen. The fireman evacuated the building. Because there was s true health hazard. I will never stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed July 2012
pgw9393, Manager at Wave Rider Resort, responded to this review, August 5, 2012
I apologize for any inconvenience you experienced during your stay with us. Unfortunately an intoxicated woman who thought she had smelled gas called the fire department. After evacuating a portion of our building it was determined that what the woman actually smelled was exhaust from the muffler of a motorcycle that another guest had cranked up in the parking lot within close proximity of the woman’s room. Again, I am sorry that you were not able to enjoy your stay with us. I would love the opportunity to re-earn your business.
Salisbury, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

this was the best trip our family has ever had the rooms was great the maids was so nice an sweet my kids loved the pools an the game rooms my husband loved the wight room an plus the rooms are so big an the over look is great the guards are always walking around to make sure everything is ok we never had a problem why we was there an we are planing on going back on aug 3 to aug 5 to the same place an it really get to me that someone is gonna say that this place was nasty an that they will never go back well im so sorry for you cause you are really messing out on alot by not staying here

Room Tip: if ur gooding for great place to stay well this is the place