To begin, Myrtle beach is a family oriented town, very small town feel. Most people come here to relax at the large beach, and partake in a huge array of off-beach activities, ranging from Broadway, shopping, boardwalks, and of course, the shows. They have many shows, and This "illusions of Magic" is one of them.
If you want the cheapest version, get coupons and see the matinee. Then it is $28 for adults, $8 for kids (or get the tickets free from your hotel offers)
80% of the show is a husband-wife team (from New Jersey, I think). They do the standard box magic tricks. We would have preferred to see more slight of hand, and indeed the favorite trick we saw was a slight of hand trick. I agree with other reviewers that there were too many of the same kind of "disappearing girl in a box" trick (maybe 10 total) and not enough slight of hand or variety.
however, we were in the front row and saw no wires of any kind. They did several levitation tricks and those were impressive.
There is a lot of decent dancing and one tiger act, but he stays in the cage the whole time. You can get your picture with him after.
But the night belongs to Ben Blaque. He was on America's got Talent and I watched him that season. It was scary as heck to watch his sharpshooting. Afterwards we met him, and he was so kind.
They also had another act of skaters, a couple doing feats on skates. I liked it.
The problem is that the show isn't cheap - even the matinee was $28 for adults with a coupon, but I heard the seats are $50 at night.
1. The matinee was fine. You can sit in the front for under $30 which I would recommend. You will be inches from Ben as he shoots his arrows. that was cool!
1b. Choose your seats wisely. Sit in the middle, as close to the front as you can. You pre-pick your seats.
2. Don't go to be wowed by the most amazing magic tricks you've ever seen. Don't compare this to Vegas. it's just a small-town show meant to entertain beach-goers. That being said, we were really happy we went. It was a fun distraction/
3. Get your coupons: First, they have coupons for the show. Also, you can see the show for free and get free dinner if you agree to visit the timeshares (ask at your hotel). When you pick up your tickets at the Palace, you get $5 coupons for TBonz family of restaurants. Ask for Extras!
4. Good nearby places to eat include Liberty's Steakhouse and Margaritaville, and many others.
5. be sure to tour the Broadway shops while you are there, bring your coupons too (see the visitor's center there). There is a great "bouncy house" section for the kids - all you can bounce for $9 and they have about 8 or so HUGE bouncy slides/houses. Kids Love love love it!
6. Pictures: Be prepared. They take a cool photo when you walk in to the entrance with your tickets. Then you can get one with the tiger. This happens at intermission and supposedly after the show, too. The second intermission starts, run over to the left and get in line in the cue. Then you can get your photo and have time for a break. The intermission is short, 20 mins.
We loved our pictures. YOU HAVE TO TELL THEM if you get two, because the second picture is only $10. Otherwise it was 20 or something.
7. They want you to buy wands to help the magic in the last part. We did, I think the kids liked it, but I'm not sure. I think the last trick didn't go well for us, the timing was off and we were confused. So, either way on the wands.
8: Little KIDS will like it: i'm sure the show is constantly changing, but at this moment, it's fun and worth going to if you are in MB for many nights and want some kind of show for the kids. My kids 4 and 5 were NOT scared (and the little one won't even watch movies), in fact they loved it. The girl loved the dancing. Kids tickets are $8 with the coupon.
9. Accessible: This is easy and accessible. it's easy to drive there, there is a ton of parking. Everything is easy to navigate even if you have trouble walking. Ask which entrance doesn't have steps, because the front door has many steps.
10. Check for combo packages. You'd be surprised what combos they allow. Somehow all these places cooperate. Check out this webpage, for example: http://palacetheatremyrtlebeach.reservemyrtlebeach.com/
or their main link http://www.palacetheatremyrtlebeach.com/
11. GET THE AUTOGRAPHS! Buy a picture of your family, then wait in line to have Ben Blaque and the Magicians sign the picture. That was the highlight because especially Ben was so down to earth, it was fun.
If you own or manage Palace Theatre, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.