“An outstanding experience...” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
New River, Arizona
“An outstanding experience...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

My family spent four days at this hotel in Myrtle Beach. The room was very clean and comfortable, the service outstanding and the breakfast great. The attendant Theresa was very accomodating and Jack was a terrific host for his hotel. We enjoyed out entire stay at this lovely hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (188)
Shelbyville, Tennessee, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

My husband and I were on our honeymoon and showed up late on a Saturday night. The owner was working and gave us a great deal on a two-night stay. We had a king suite looking at the beach on the fifth floor. The continental breakfast was hot, good and much better than other hotels. We left our balcony door open just to hear the pounding waves against the shore. We plan on going back and requesting the same room. Thanks for your hospitality.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Poughkeepsie, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

We had booked this hotel for one night to extend our trip to Myrtle Beach. It was more than expected for the price. The room was reasonably priced and had two air conditioning units. The bed was very comfortable. It had both a small living room and kitchenette and the bathroom was exceptionally clean. It is not beachfront, nor was the parking ideal but overall it was a very good experience.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Halifax, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

We stayed at the Best Western Plus Grand Strand for a week at the end of May 2013 and it lived up to the positive reviews on Trip Advisor. We booked an oceanfront king suite, and our room on the second floor looked right out on the beach. Sitting in rocking chairs listening to the roar of the surf was a great way to spend some time. The full kitchen and sitting room with sofa bed worked out very well. The free continental breakfast was generous, with several hot dishes each morning. The building was very quiet and the staff were friendly and helpful. Wireless was free, fast, and trouble free. I'd recommend the oceanfront building rather than the main building across the street. The hotel's location was convenient, on the beach but far from the downtown strip, and close to the airport and sights like Brookgreen Gardens or Myrtle Beach State Park. The nearest good grocery store is the Piggly Wiggly in Market Common, only a few minutes away.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thunder Bay
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

I am a platinumum plus Gold Crown member and generally have positive experiences with Best Western - this was the worst -- and it could have easily been avoided. This was a nice property and good accomodations. I, with friends, attended for the Myrlte Beach Marathon on a Sunday. We arrived on a wedensday and enquired about a late check in -- we were told ( which is the indusrty norm, that theycould not guarrantee anything however depending on room we would need to confirm the morning of. We checked back in on the thursday, friday and saturday and each time told essentially the same thing -- should not be a big problem but need to check the morning of to confirm that the rooms were available -- it should be noted that this lace was a host hotel. Well the morning of comes -- we check and are told at 530 am by the clerk that he was told that NO ONE gets a late check out no matter what -- he was told to say this and nothing more -- now - is a problem - we have spent a lot of money to get here to do a full marathon -- now we are told no one gets a late check -- despite I had been watching on line - they had lots of rooms -- we cant finish the marathon in time before the now mandated check out time so we have to switch to the half - and dont even get an official half time -- so we head back and run into the boss- terrible attitude -- tells us that this is always the policy and we had options like using the pool shower after if we wanted -- so this option is presented after the fact - and four mornings we were never told this -- in so far as empty rooms -- we are told that ourt room as watrer front was being taken -- we say -- we would have been happy to move the day before -- we only wanted a couple of hours -- would have paid to for the extension -- but no -- just the rigid line about no late check outs -- wont be back here again and really rethinking the the whole best western thing - I dont care if they have a rigid no late check out policy -- if they would have simply told us -- we would have made other arrangements -- expecially since we checked each mornign for four mornings --

Room Tip: Avoid the place UNLESS you have no issues on times or any extension of courtesy
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Jack R, Owner at BEST WESTERN PLUS Grand Strand Inn & Suites, responded to this review, June 22, 2013
Once again, sir, please allow me to apologize for any way in which you did not receive exceptional service during your stay at my property. I am deeply sorry that our check-out policies affected your race, and especially that you were not informed of our shower facilities until the day of departure. My staff and I do our best to provide open and clear communication with our guests and I apologize that such was not your experience. It was certainly not our intent to cause your party difficulties and I regret that you had such a negative impression of us.

I understand that your primary concern is one of communication, however, please allow me to clarify the rest of the situation for the benefit of other travelers. We were, in fact, fully booked for the night that you mentioned. Our adherence to the normal check-out time of 11 AM was due to the fact that our housekeepers needed to be able to clean the rooms by the 3 PM check-in time. Out of the two rooms that your party had, I did my best to treat you with courtesy and allowed for a noon check-out in one of them, so that you could have a little more time at the hotel. We did offer complimentary parking and the use of our shower facilities to all of our marathon runners, so that they could pack up in the morning, run the race, and then come back to shower and change before they left. Most of the race participants either did this or stayed another night in Myrtle Beach. Again, I am sorry that these options were not effectively conveyed to you.

You can rest assured that we will certainly be using your feedback to ensure that we communicate our policies to all of next year's marathon runners, in order to ensure that they have pleasant experiences in Myrtle Beach. Please accept my apologies for the inconvenience that you experienced, and especially that it negatively affected your race experience. Please know that we would love to have you back at next year's marathon, so that we can have another opportunity to provide you with exceptional service.
Grovetown, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

I personally will never stay @ this hotel again! I booked through AAA by speaking with a representative after thoroughly searching for the type of rooms I needed (I was unable to book online as AAA was having an issue with their online reservation tool). I was travelling with my mom and 2 sisters and 6 children, so I booked 3 rooms. I needed 2 of the rooms to have sleeper sofas and the description of the room I booked clearly said that was available. I was also asked how many children would be in each room, 17 and younger; I have two 13 year olds and a 16 year old, so I selected 3. When we arrived at the hotel, 1st of all, I was told they needed to have all adults staying in each room provide their ID; all rooms were booked and PAID FOR by myself, so that was the 1st irritation, as we were waiting on one member of our party. Next, the guy told me there would be an additional $35 charge for my 16 year old son; after I told them what the AAA site said and they saw it for themselves, they "waived" the fee. As if I am NOT already irritated enough, I get to the rooms, and they only have 2 queen beds; that's IT! Hotel staff was NOT helpful; I was told by the manager the next morning that he tried to contact us the night before to offer an upgrade (which the manager had "looked" for rooms that would fit our comfort, but did not offer any type of discount) but he did not get an answer in either room. I was so disgusted with the night I spent there because I was uncomfortable and irritable because it was bikers weekend; this was Mother's Day weekend. Needless to say, I will NOT be staying here again and would not recommend to anyone else; and to get to the second floor; the steps were winding and so narrow, I just KNEW I would fall! This is an older hotel; the bathroom door would not fully close and the beds were hard.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Jack R, Owner at BEST WESTERN PLUS Grand Strand Inn & Suites, responded to this review, June 14, 2013
On behalf of myself and my entire staff, I would like to apologize for not exceeding your expectations in every area of your stay. Each one of our guests matters to us, and I am sad to see that you would describe your experience so negatively. First, let me say that I am deeply sorry that you had such a difficult booking experience with AAA and, as a result, a problematic check-in. Please know that my employees were simply proceeding with the information we had received from this third party. As the Guest Service Representative told you at check-in, our policy is that your 16 year old is considered an adult and the price of the room is generally altered accordingly. AAA should have given you this information at booking, and it is highly unusual (and incorrect) that they would state that 17 year old is free. Once my employees saw the confirmation you mentioned, they immediately honored what you were told by AAA. In addition, you should know that it is a Myrtle Beach city law that we receive IDs from every adult staying in the room, although I apologize for the inconvenience.

Regarding the room type you received, you were simply placed in what AAA booked for you. I am deeply sorry that you were expecting something different. Once you called and spoke with the supervisor, she contacted me immediately and I gave authorization to give your party free upgrades. We attempted to call you in both rooms and on your cell phone within 20 minutes, and I regret to say that we were unable to get in touch with your party and instead left messages, as you mentioned in your review.

My staff and I do everything in our power to ensure that guests have a pleasant stay, and so I apologize for any way in which you were uncomfortable in your room. The stairs that you mentioned are from the original structure and were left in place as an additional fire exit: there is also an elevator and two sets of straightforward staircases that led to your room. I have asked my Head of Operations to take care of any sticking that may be occurring with the doors. I wish you would have mentioned this concern while you were in-house, so that we could have addressed the problem immediately. Also, I apologize that you felt the mattresses were hard; they are Kingsdown PillowSoft mattresses, which guests generally find soft and comfortable. Unfortunately, the firmness of mattresses is simply a matter of preference, but I am sorry that it added to your discomfort in Myrtle Beach.

Again, please accept my apologies for any way in which we could have better served you while you were staying with us in Myrtle Beach. Thank you for your feedback. I hope that you will consider visiting us again, so that we can have the opportunity to provide you with superior service.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for bike week and had a great time. I stay at Best Western hotels all the time. But this one was the best by far( even during bike week). The staff were great. Housekeeping was awesome. It was also great seeing the owner at the front desk greeting and talking with guest as they were checking in and out. We usually stay in North Myrtle Beach during bike week, but after this stay we will be staying at the Best Western from here on out.

• Stayed May 2013

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Grand Strand Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!