“It's Going to be Hard to Leave” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 215 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersSilver level
Adirondack Foothills of NY State
“It's Going to be Hard to Leave”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013 via mobile

Clean and friendly; we chose this hotel based on others' reviews and were not disappointed. Typical free breakfast fare but nicely laid out right near the front desk. The breakfast area is not large but counter seating at the window frees up the tables when it gets busy. Front desk staff appear naturally friendly and were very helpful. Jack, the owner, was greeting people in person on Sundaymaing sure everyone was enjoying their stay. He took care of a small problem for us, pronto,but I think the ther st,aff would have, too. Jack also suggested a great place for supper.

The rooms are clean, comfortable and reasonably free of sand which is amazing since this is a beach hotel. We stayed at the ocean front building which also houses an indoor pool and hot tub. Heated outdoor pool and hot tub are across the street at the main building where breakfast is served. Those rooms are considerably cheaper in price but many offer an ocean view (til something else is built to block the view.)

If the outdoor pool had the heater working, and the jets working on the outdoor hot tub, I would have given them an "excellent'' instead of a "very good."

Now, we have to go home to face a spring snow storm!

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Jack R, Owner at BEST WESTERN PLUS Grand Strand Inn & Suites, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Thank you for your kind words. It's always good to hear when guests choose our property based on TripAdvisor.com reviews, and we're grateful that you decided to share your experience with other travelers. I'm glad that your stay was so exceptional that you didn't want to leave! That is a wonderful compliment. I also want to take this opportunity to apologize that the outdoor pool was not heated and that hot tub jets were down during your stay. I can assure you that both are fixed and everything is operating normally now. You'll have to come back to try them out!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (199)
Guelph, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

This place was wonderful - clean rooms, very friendly and helpful staff, and with both an indoor and an outdoor pool and 2 hot tubs plus a small lazy river there was lots of pool space for the kids! The location couldn't be better either, right across from the beach! Free wifi and continental breakfast made this a great March Break trip for my family.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Woodstock, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013 via mobile

Very service oriented. Nice rooms if you get the waterfront across the street. Fast internet. Teresa was great at breakfast taking care of your every need. Dennis was a nice host in the mornings at the front desk. Good value and very accommodating.

• Stayed March 2013
Belle River, ontario, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

Where do I begin. This hotel ( or motel I would call it) is located at the south end,not near a whole lot which you can walk to. Other places further up would allow you that. But driving is not a big deal and very easy to get around.
Parking is very tight. And if your room is on the lower level your view would be of a car parked right outside your door.
Our room was located in the main building, a 3 bed with a small kitchen. The musty smell was overwhelming when we first entered. I called down to the main desk to tell them, the only different room would cost 200 more a night to upgrade to a 3 bedroom penthouse, which I wasn't about to pay. They did however offer to run a machine to clean the air, she said it was the people before us that had been cooking with curry. They showed us the same room type but on the first floor ( no view, or view of cars right there and strong smell of cleaning products probably to mask the musty smell). Another room which we ended up taking seemed ok, and by this point we just wanted to get settled. They tried their best to be sure we were happy and were very nice,but that room smelled too.The room was big enough for our family of 5. But musty, outdated with carpet and very little utensils and cookware. No counter space and only a small table for 3 people to eat at. Bedding seemed clean,pillows way too soft, they did not change linens at all through the week, and somehow missed cleaning our room the last day. I guess if your do not disturb sign is out, they don't come back again even though we're were out by 11:00. The windows ended up full of moisture by morning and would drip leaving puddles of water on the windows edge. (probably the musty smell). Mentioned that to one of the housekeepers and she knew all about it and told us she would wipe it when she cleaned. Also seems that there are people who stay there for long periods of time, with trinkets in their windows,no big deal but unusual.
Maybe the rooms ocean side were better, but the main building rooms need help. If it's a bestwestern plus they should all be the same, but from other reviews seems like the other side is updated. Just nothing over there to accommodate 5 people.
Breakfast room was small and tight when busy, but clean. Nice friendly breakfast lady that would help or get anything you needed. It was the same thing each day, and got a bit boring. Cereal,oatmeal,yogurt,fruit cup,banana or apple,waffles,egg discs,sausage patties,biscuits and gravy. All good but they could change it up a bit. It was too chilly for the outside pools and when they did open the outdoor hot tub it was occupied by young kids the entire evening. The pool and hot tub across the street were okay, no pressure in the hot tub and the seats were too high, not what I have enjoyed before.
So many good reviews we thought it would be alot better than it was. I would try something different next time, Hampton across the street or somewhere north.

Room Tip: Don't take a room in the main building, try the ocean side or another place all together.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Jack R, Owner at BEST WESTERN PLUS Grand Strand Inn & Suites, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
I am deeply sorry to see that, despite our efforts, you did not have a good experience at my property. I would like to apologize again for any way in which we did not exceed your expectations during your stay. Although I understand that it was an inconvenience, I wish that you had told my Head of Operations that you were still unsatisfied with the smell. We would have been more than happy to continue to take steps to ensure that you were completely comfortable in your room. I would also like to apologize for the lack of exemplary housekeeping service during your stay. I very much wish that you had mentioned your concerns to either the housekeeper (when you spoke to her) or the front desk immediately so that we could ensure that you received full service each day. Again, please accept my apologies for any way that your stay was less than exceptional. We hope that you will return to our property and give us another chance to serve you.
Raleigh, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

Me and my family stayed at this hotel from December 30-31th of last year and had problems from the time I checked into the hotel. I reserved a cottage unit and when we entered the room it smelled horrible. In addition, the room was filled with old furniture that made it depressing to look at. We quickly went to the front desk and requested to change rooms. We finally were able to find a decent room to sleep for the night in the main building 3 bed apartment which did not smell bad. We booked the reservation through delta skymiles so we could not get a direct refund for the room, but Jack Robertson did work with us and try to make it right as best as he could. We ended up getting the difference in delta points back due to the room we stayed in costing less points than the cottage unit. Overall, I would not stay here again as the hotel does adequately not fit my needs as a traveler. However, If you are looking for a affordable place to stay and do not mind a lower-scale place to stay, this is the hotel for you. If you are to stay here,make certain that you do not stay in the cottage units, they are closed up and smell terrible! The oceanfront building is decent as well as the apartments in the main building.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Jack R, Owner at BEST WESTERN PLUS Grand Strand Inn & Suites, responded to this review, March 16, 2013
I remember your situation distinctly and would like to take this opportunity to again apologize for the musty smell in the cottage that you experienced last year. I can assure you that since your stay, we have taken measures to prevent a similar situation for incoming guests. We have since had an immeasureable amount of positive feedback on the cleanliness and decor of those units. In fact, if you scan through our TripAdvisor reviews, you can read some of those recent comments from guests. Again, I am sorry that your experience was anything less than exceptional in every way. Despite your comment that you will not return, I hope that you will consider giving us another try. We take guests' feedback very seriously and I believe that you would enjoy our property a second time.
Williamsburg, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

Went down to MB for a guys golf weekend and the hotel was a perfect fit. Right at the beach and close to all the courses. Clean, modern and an outstanding staff! Perfect for families, golf, beach and great prices. Dennis the GM is a wealth of local knowledge. This is the place in MB!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Wincanton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

We stayed at the Best Western Grand Strand out of season (28 March). It was a truly excellent stay. We had an Ocean view which was actually right on the Ocean, the room was equipped with cooker, microwave, refridgerator etc and had two queen beds. It was most comfortable and was in easy distance of restaurants and attractions. The staff were very friendly and typical of South Carolina. In particular the lady who arranged the breakfast was most charming and attentive and when possible made cooked items to suppliment the continental breakfast provided. The hotel was exceedingly clean and we could not fault anything. Yes, we would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: It was cool in Myrtle Beach in March so bring warm clothes, but it is worth it.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Jack R, Owner at BEST WESTERN PLUS Grand Strand Inn & Suites, responded to this review, March 15, 2013
Thank you so much for your positive review. We strive to provide every one of our guests with clean, high-quality rooms and exceptional customer service, and so it is so good hear that your experience was one of excellence. I'm especially pleased to hear that you found my property to be a great value during the winter months. Other March travelers will, I'm sure, find your review to be very helpful. Again, thanks for your comments! I'll look forward to welcoming you back to my property soon.

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Grand Strand Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!