“Nicely decorated, but needed a thorough cleaning, noisy outside until 2-3 am” 2 of 5 stars
Review of San-a-bel

Save Saved
You added San-a-bel to your Saves list
San-a-bel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1709 South Ocean Blvd, Myrtle Beach, SC 29578   |
Ranked #169 of 214 hotels in Myrtle Beach
“Nicely decorated, but needed a thorough cleaning, noisy outside until 2-3 am”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I were excited about our beach trip and were pleased when we checked in, so easy, just go to the office on the property site and get the keys! However the more time we spent getting settled in, we realized the complimentary cleaning service was practically nonexistent. The owner of this nicely decorated unit would be appalled at the condition it was in when handed over to the next renter....mold in master shower, splattered toothpaste still on the bathroom mirror and in the sink, VERY FILTHY bedspread on the master bed--we took it off and used the queen-sized one from the other bedroom. The nice tiled floor throughout had not been swept in a while, crumbs were all over the floor and rug in the living area, and a LOT of sand was in the new sectional couch.

The unit is also adjacent to a Pub/restaurant that serves patrons on an outdoor patio right under our balcony and bedroom window and entertains until 2:00 am on the weekend and 3:00 am weekdays. We never would have rented this unit had we known this.

We appreciated the great remodeling job that has even done to the unit--it had the best stocked kitchen I've ever seen in a beach condo and had a lot of nice amenities. I loved the glider wicker chairs on the balcony! But unfortunately, Elliott Realty let us down preparing the place for our stay, and the location next to a pub will keep us from staying there again.

Stayed August 2012

24 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Cincinnati, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

I would like to start by saying that my family and I have stayed at the San-a-bel for the last three years and the onsite manager is very nice and quick responding. With that being said, this year was a bit of a disappointment in regards to our room. Every year we look so forward to coming down from Cincinnati to Myrtle Beach and this year was no exception. Arriving at the San-a-bel the onsite manager was quick, nice, and informative. So we headed up to our room and to say the least were a bit shocked and heartbroken. Elliott Realty did not post pictures of what room #610 really looks like, I don't know if they even know what it really looks like, if they did I would think they would be embarrassed to advertise this room. I understand that these rooms are privately owned but there should be health and safety standards that need to be met before renting out a property. Upon opening the door you are welcomed to the cracked and popped up flooring, dirty walls, doors, and floors and the previous occupant's hair everywhere. Walking farther into the room you see thick dust covering the tops of the walls and vents, pealing and dirty wallpaper, cracked and falling parts in the ceiling, fire detecters are not hooked up and wires are exposed, broken doorknobs. The first two hours of my vacation was spent sanitizing the room... cleaning toilets, tubs, showers, appliances, and removing tons of hair from the entire room. I did not take my shoes off for the entire time and used extra blankets to cover the stained and unappealing furniture so that we could sit. The only positive thing about this room is the oceanfront view and easy, quick access to the beach. Also the bed in the room closest to the front door is very unappealing. The box spring and mattress are stained and very old and the shower in this room has mold. The whole room is just very much in need of renovating. Its old, dirty, and outdated. I would highly recommend avoiding this room. While our first two years staying at the San-a-bel were great and the staff is always nice and helpful it seems as if your chances are 50/50 on getting a good, clean room. When we reserve a condo for our trip next year we will not be coming back to the San-a-bel.

Room Tip: Just avoid this room, #610.
Louisville, Kentucky
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2012

This is a 2br, 2 bath unit. The layout of the condo is fine. Each bedroom has it own bathroom. Bedrooms & bathrooms are a little small, but suited 2 adults & 2 children fine. The building has an elevator, so - no hiking up and down stairs. The View... Spectacular! Private balcony. There are 3 tvs in the unit & all worked fine. We did have trouble with the dvd player in the living room, it would freeze up when trying to watch a movie. It does have a dishwasher, but we never used it. A small washer/dryer combo is included, but turned out to be a bit of an aggravation. If you didn't catch the washer at the right moment, it would go on to wash the load again...and again.

I wasn't a big fan of the lighting in the unit. The ceiling fan in the living room was very dim. There were A LOT of lamps... but I could never seem to get it quite bright enough for my liking.

A/C worked perfectly.

The indoor pool and hot tub were nice. I noticed there were a set of bathrooms by the pool area.

One major problem.... and I hate that it happened, cause I love Elliott R. & I'm sure I'll use them again.... but I will never rent another room from the San-a-Bel due to this. There were roaches in the kitchen area. They promptly sent an exterminator, but the next day...they were back. They seemed to wanna come out when we used the stove. We barely saw anything else in the following days. Probably the combination of the extermination & the fact that we quit using the stove. Hated to stop using it, because it is expensive to eat out for every meal. We had some food go to waste because of it.

Hope this helps someone!

, Guest Relations Manager at San-a-bel, responded to this review, June 27, 2012
Thank you so much for your review of your stay with us. We strive to give the best that the Grand Strand has to offer in accommodations and we appreciate your business. We deeply regret any instances in which one of our units failed to meet the high standards of quality and hospitality that our guests deserve and expect. We have requested a thorough inspection of this unit to help us resolve any outstanding issues. Your comments have been invaluable to help us improve this unit and we hope that you were able to enjoy your vacation and all that this area has to offer. It is our wish for all of our guests to be happy and say nice things about us when you leave.

It is because of our loyal guests that Elliott Beach Rentals has been the front runner in vacation rentals in the Myrtle Beach area for over 50 years.

We sincerely thank you again. It was our pleasure to have you as our guest and we hope to serve you and your family again.
Winder, Ga
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2012

We have just returned home after staying at San A Bel North Myrtle Beach. We were in 614. The place was not cleaned before we arrived and on Wed. my grandson found one of those little barrel drinks under the couch. We did not have any of these so, it had to have been left by someone before us. I tried to mop the floor and the sponge mop in the unit was falling apart so I just put it back and said forget it. After all we were only there for a week, but, I for one do not like to walk on a floor and have the bottoms of my feet turn black from the nasty stuff. We did tell the on site person about the detergent door not working on the dishwasher but she acted as though she didn't care and said that as long as it cleaned the dishes she didn't think it mattered, because it's not something that can be fixed, the entire dishwasher would have to be replaced. I think that what it cost us alone should be more than enough to fix it. Will NOT stay here again. The entire trip was horrible, the rooms are wayyyy to small for what you pay....

Room Tip: Do not stay here, not worth your money.
Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2012

I love the new balcony that they have put on these condos. Rented through Elliott - place was clean, well stocked and I great a great price. Love the location on the beach and very close to everything. Looking forward to staying again!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Washington DC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2011

Dishwasher - soap dish does not close, got call owner does not want to fix

Mirror by bath tub corroded/old looks nasty

Will not stay here again. I would be embarrassed if I were the owner (unknown) or company (Elliott) renting this out.

Pride in ownership/property management is poor.

Heaven for bid a cookie sheet or a pizza pan for cooking. Seriously, who stocked the kitchen?

Not what I thought I would be paying for.

Nasty mirror when taking a shower/bath kind of ruins romantic fun on a vacation.

• Stayed September 2011
ElliottRealty, Manager at San-a-bel, responded to this review, March 16, 2012
Dear Kayakmr,

We were very concerned about this review and contacted you multiple times while you were here in an attempt to resolve any problems you had with your unit. We are very lucky to have an outstanding on-site manager and office located at San a Bel and she attempted to contact you personally several times during your stay after reading this review. We understand that while on vacation you are busy with fun activities and and we are just wish that you would have spoke to the onsite manager or returned one of our calls while you were here. We were finally able to speak to you after you returned home concerning the issues and we are very proud of the fact that you have since contacted us to re-book another unit. We thank you for giving us the opportunity to speak with you personally and we are confident that given a chance we have the capabilities to resolve any issue.
Columbus, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2011

My husband, 14 month old daughter and I spent a week at San-a-bel.

The location was great, especially for the busier summer months. We took a trip down to Myrtle Beach and got stuck in terrible traffic on Ocean Blvd. We were very happy to return to the condo in the less crowded area of North Myrtle Beach. It is within walking distance of an ice cream shop, beach shop, and an Irish Pub/Restaurant.

Our views from the 7th floor were great! There was a nice size "L" shaped balcony, with several chairs and tables.

The unit was clean and comfortable. It wasn't large, but for the three of us, it was the right size. There are two bedrooms with adjacent bathrooms. The master bedroom (with the oceanfront window) only has a jetted tub. To take a shower, we had to go to the other bedroom. Something to keep in mind if two couples were to share one of these units.

The unit could use some updating. Very old appliances (the light for the stove indicating heat never turned off), the handle on the front door was broken (we could only deadbolt), the handle on the sliding doors was very loose and hard to use without pulling the glass door off the track. and there is only a VHS player connected to the very small and old tv.

I know these are privately owned units, so some may be more up to date than ours was.

We rented through Grand Stand Rentals and have no complaints there. Our unit was even ready to check in to a few hours earlier than expected.

Regarding the building.....there is no outdoor pool. Only an indoor pool. One of the elevators is in serious need of repair. I got stuck on it for around 3 minutes one day with 7, or so, other people. My husband got stuck on it with our daughter for a few minutes as well. It was a very scary experience. I ended up taking the stairs to the 7th floor a few times to avoid riding.

All in all, it was an ok place. Should we visit NMB again, I believe we will look into other condos to better suit our needs and comfort.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Been to San-a-bel? Share your experiences!