“Bad Choice” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #180 of 217 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Clinton, South Carolina
“Bad Choice”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2007

My Fiance' and I stayed at this motel during our wedding and honeymoon. When we booked the room, we knew that we would be on the 7th floor. We recieved a call a night later wanting to know if we wanted a lower floor because the elevator only went to the 6th floor, we told them no, that we could handle one flight of stairs. When we arrived there, the Lobby was closed due to maintenance, so we had to check in through the Polynesian. They asked if we were told about the stairs and we said yes. After we paid our money, we asked where to get on the elevator and were told that the elevator was being repaired and would have to take the stairs, which we didn't
mind at that time. The elevator never got fixed and we couldn't change rooms so we were forced to walk up and down 85 steps every day for five days. Not only that but the parking garage was flooded for two days and on my wedding day, my shoes got wet and if my dress had been a little longer, it would've been ruined. Then, the toilet started leaking around the bottom and was never fixed. After all this, we were told we couldn't be reimbursed any money nor were we even issued an apology. I will never stay here again nor will I recommend it to anyone.

Stayed March 2007

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Cincinnati, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2007

Dirty and nasty but a good beach location.
I got a "free" 2 night stay here. Free was not cheap enough for me to enjoy it. I would have found another place to stay, but I would have been charged for my stay if I checked out early. The location is the only good thing I can comment on. It is located directly on the beach. I was first given a room on the side of the motel without a beach view and the floor of the bathroom was super sticky. I requested an ocean view room and paid an extra $15 per night to get it. The elevator was broken. The motel has 6 floors, I was on the 4th. The rooms are very run down. The lamps, chairs, mattresses, mirrors, etc are old and yellowed. There are no blankets on the beds, only sheets and the nasty bedspread. On the patio there were old cigarette butts and the grate was falling off of the AC unit. There was a small kitchen in the room. The refrigerator worked. I didn't try the stove or microwave. The light in the kitchen didn't work. The mirror in the bathroom was missing all of the reflective coating around the edges. The tub drain was very rusty. The bed was not comfortable. I woke up with a backache. This was my first trip to Myrtle beach and staying at the Ocean Plaza left me with a bad opinion. I never want to go back. Sure, there were nicer places all around to stay, but why go back if they let places like this stay in business.

• Liked — view
  • Disliked — everything elses
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2007

The Ocean Plaza is a nice little hotel for the money. The rooms were clean and roomy with a kitchenette (complete with microwave, toaster, coffee maker, stove, refrigerator, dishes and sink). We had an oceanfront room, which are the only rooms I would recommend if you want to see the ocean. The side rooms overlook the parking areas of the hotels on either side.

The PROS:

Clean towels provided daily. The bed was very comfortable. The view from the balcony was great! No foul odors and the walls and ceiling looked to be freshly painted.

The problems we encountered were:

DO NOT BOOK THROUGH ORBITZ (or any other service like it) - book directly through the hotel. That way, if there is a problem with your reservation the hotel will correct it without an additional charge. We booked through ORBITZ and was "promised" an OCEANFRONT room. When we arrived we had a side view (or should I say NO view). Luckily they had one oceanfront room available but we had to pay an extra $20/night.

The bathroom was a little outdated but tolerable.

The elevator was out of service -- good thing we're in shape having to climb seven floors a few times a day. Orbitz failed to notify us of this fact.

The pigeons on the balcony were annoying with their flapping and cooing all night long!! Not to mention the bird crap all over the balcony.

People slamming doors and yelling to others out on the beach. I know there's no way to control this but it would be nice to have a quiet time posted (maybe I'm just used to camping).

No safe in the room - so take your valuables with you when you leave the room.

No HBO!! I thought all hotels had at least one movie channel. Guess I'm wrong on that one. I was told "there's a problem with the cable provider." Hmmm....kind of vague....

In summary, I've stayed at a lot worse places - it's definately not an upscale hotel but for the price, the Ocean Plaza was worth the stay if you can overlook a few small inconveniences.

• Liked — The view
  • Disliked — Noise at night and the pigeons roosting on the balcony.
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2006

I arrived at Ocean Plaza at around 3pm on Oct. 8th, I took my parents who are in there 70's, the office was closed with a sign on the door telling people to check in at the Polynesian hotel (they are owned by the same company) which is next door so we did that with no problems (the office at Ocean Plaza remained closed for our entire 5 day/night stay). We stayed in room 105 ocean front which is ground level. I'm so glad we stayed on ground level because the only elevator in the whole building was out of order (maintance man said it could be out for a month or more). If you have mobility problems, I wouldnt even consider this hotel. Even though we stayed on ground level we still had steps to go down/up. I couldnt imagine staying up on 6th floor with no Elevator. We thought our room was nice and clean, it looked somewhat freshly painted and carpeted, the bathroom looked nice, with a nice shower, we couldnt get the slide door to the balcony to lock but there was a stick to wedge in to keep someone from entering (we were on ground level). The AC/heat switch was a little funky but seemed to put out good. Maid service was good, they smiled alot and seemed friendly. The outdoor pool was too cold for us but was very clean, maintainace was out there every morning cleaning it even though we saw almost no one using it. The indoor pool is up on 4th floor (no working elevator, so PLAN on walking up steps) not good for seniors or those with mobility problems. One whirlpool was dry and out of order, the other one just wasnt warm enough and somewhat low on water (although we noticed they filled it up just before we left), the indoor pool was too cold for us. The good thing about the pool situation is that we had full access to the Polynesian indoor pool behind the office there (much nicer and newer) with a spacious whirlpool. The water was very warm, its a short walk (right next door) from Ocean Plaza but well worth it. We were almost always the only one using it and maintance was cleaning it every morning, dont think i ever saw a cleaner pool. The towels at Ocean Plaza was too rough for us (I wish I would have brought my own). IF you plan on making any local calls from your room u will be charged 75 cents each (didnt realize that at the time, till we read the signs at the office when we checked out). Overall we had a nice time, we made the best out of a somewhat difficult situation with the elevator and all. I think actually it was our best trip ever out of about 7 but I think the hotel could have been better had a few things been working properly.

• Liked — rates
  • Disliked — out of order elevator
  • Tips/Secrets — bring bath towels unless u like rough
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Phoenix Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2006

I was amazed how low the rates were for June. I was expecting a "roach motel". But, was so happy to find just what they promised to deliver. It was clean, on the ocean and the staff was very pleasant. The only problem we had was that there was no remote control in the room when we got there. But, one call to the desk and it was delivered in no time. We loved staying here and look forward to booking another room for our trip in June of 2007.

• Liked — location and cleanliness
  • Disliked — parking
  • Tips/Secrets — be prepared for limited parking. Other than that, just enjoy your stay.
  • Stayed June 2004, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2006

This was our 2nd stay at Ocean Plaza and it was more pleasant than the first. We were able to get a 2nd floor room...sideview only and that made carrying luggage really nice. The room did not have any stains, nor was the carpet dirty. Housekeeping did attempt to clean everyday, but we slept late everyday but one, so I would just open the door to give them the dirty towels and get clean ones. I had to sign my name that I wouldn't let them in to clean the room..first time I'd had to do that, but didn't mind. Sometimes the towels were a little rough, but not all the time. I always heard them running a vacuum cleaner somewhere and although one of the whirlpools was broken, the other one was sufficient and both the indoor and outdoor pool areas were clean. Saturday night was a little loud as there was a family reunion outside next door way up into the night...but we were pooped, so able to sleep. The shower did lack constant temperature control..sometimes it would get hot and sometimes it would get cold..just tweak it a little..this isn't the Hilton, but it's clean..and we got good parking.

• Liked — the price
  • Disliked — the constant changing water temperature
  • Tips/Secrets — Ocean-plaza website is usually the cheapest way to go.
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2006

I WILL NEVER STAY AT THIS HOTEL AGAIN AND I SUGGEST THAT YOU DON'T STAY HERE EITHER!!!!! Upon check in the staff was complaining to each other one was sitting in back not helping at all while one yes one person was checking a long line of guests in. Well she was trying to check people in however no one appeared to have their room ready. We had reserved three rooms as we were in Myrtle Beach for business and only one was ready so we took the keys to that room. The front desk said we would get a call when the other rooms were ready. THREE hours later no call I went down to the front desk and was inform she would not give me the keys to the rooms I had paid for untill my party could come and register. I asked for a refund after trying to explain I just wanted the keys for the room I would be staying in. She finally THREW the keys at me when I told her I would be contacting management about her rude behavior she said"fine contact mangement".

unfortunately that was not the only problem with this place. The pool was gross it had cigarette butts floating in it. The indoor pool was disgusting. It smelled there was mold and mildew every where the elevator is slow slow slow. water from the shower would scauld you then freeze you. None of the housekeeping staff speaks english. One of the jacuzzis is broken. There is no place to sit at the indoor pool and only a few seats at the outdoor pool. really do not waste your money here.

• Stayed June 2006, traveled on business