“Not for those with mobility problems!” 3 of 5 stars

Ocean Plaza Motel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1005 South Ocean Boulevard, Myrtle Beach, SC 29577   |
Ranked #179 of 214 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Ohio
“Not for those with mobility problems!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2006

I arrived at Ocean Plaza at around 3pm on Oct. 8th, I took my parents who are in there 70's, the office was closed with a sign on the door telling people to check in at the Polynesian hotel (they are owned by the same company) which is next door so we did that with no problems (the office at Ocean Plaza remained closed for our entire 5 day/night stay). We stayed in room 105 ocean front which is ground level. I'm so glad we stayed on ground level because the only elevator in the whole building was out of order (maintance man said it could be out for a month or more). If you have mobility problems, I wouldnt even consider this hotel. Even though we stayed on ground level we still had steps to go down/up. I couldnt imagine staying up on 6th floor with no Elevator. We thought our room was nice and clean, it looked somewhat freshly painted and carpeted, the bathroom looked nice, with a nice shower, we couldnt get the slide door to the balcony to lock but there was a stick to wedge in to keep someone from entering (we were on ground level). The AC/heat switch was a little funky but seemed to put out good. Maid service was good, they smiled alot and seemed friendly. The outdoor pool was too cold for us but was very clean, maintainace was out there every morning cleaning it even though we saw almost no one using it. The indoor pool is up on 4th floor (no working elevator, so PLAN on walking up steps) not good for seniors or those with mobility problems. One whirlpool was dry and out of order, the other one just wasnt warm enough and somewhat low on water (although we noticed they filled it up just before we left), the indoor pool was too cold for us. The good thing about the pool situation is that we had full access to the Polynesian indoor pool behind the office there (much nicer and newer) with a spacious whirlpool. The water was very warm, its a short walk (right next door) from Ocean Plaza but well worth it. We were almost always the only one using it and maintance was cleaning it every morning, dont think i ever saw a cleaner pool. The towels at Ocean Plaza was too rough for us (I wish I would have brought my own). IF you plan on making any local calls from your room u will be charged 75 cents each (didnt realize that at the time, till we read the signs at the office when we checked out). Overall we had a nice time, we made the best out of a somewhat difficult situation with the elevator and all. I think actually it was our best trip ever out of about 7 but I think the hotel could have been better had a few things been working properly.

• Liked — rates
  • Disliked — out of order elevator
  • Tips/Secrets — bring bath towels unless u like rough
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Phoenix Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2006

I was amazed how low the rates were for June. I was expecting a "roach motel". But, was so happy to find just what they promised to deliver. It was clean, on the ocean and the staff was very pleasant. The only problem we had was that there was no remote control in the room when we got there. But, one call to the desk and it was delivered in no time. We loved staying here and look forward to booking another room for our trip in June of 2007.

• Liked — location and cleanliness
  • Disliked — parking
  • Tips/Secrets — be prepared for limited parking. Other than that, just enjoy your stay.
  • Stayed June 2004, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2006

This was our 2nd stay at Ocean Plaza and it was more pleasant than the first. We were able to get a 2nd floor room...sideview only and that made carrying luggage really nice. The room did not have any stains, nor was the carpet dirty. Housekeeping did attempt to clean everyday, but we slept late everyday but one, so I would just open the door to give them the dirty towels and get clean ones. I had to sign my name that I wouldn't let them in to clean the room..first time I'd had to do that, but didn't mind. Sometimes the towels were a little rough, but not all the time. I always heard them running a vacuum cleaner somewhere and although one of the whirlpools was broken, the other one was sufficient and both the indoor and outdoor pool areas were clean. Saturday night was a little loud as there was a family reunion outside next door way up into the night...but we were pooped, so able to sleep. The shower did lack constant temperature control..sometimes it would get hot and sometimes it would get cold..just tweak it a little..this isn't the Hilton, but it's clean..and we got good parking.

• Liked — the price
  • Disliked — the constant changing water temperature
  • Tips/Secrets — Ocean-plaza website is usually the cheapest way to go.
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2006

I WILL NEVER STAY AT THIS HOTEL AGAIN AND I SUGGEST THAT YOU DON'T STAY HERE EITHER!!!!! Upon check in the staff was complaining to each other one was sitting in back not helping at all while one yes one person was checking a long line of guests in. Well she was trying to check people in however no one appeared to have their room ready. We had reserved three rooms as we were in Myrtle Beach for business and only one was ready so we took the keys to that room. The front desk said we would get a call when the other rooms were ready. THREE hours later no call I went down to the front desk and was inform she would not give me the keys to the rooms I had paid for untill my party could come and register. I asked for a refund after trying to explain I just wanted the keys for the room I would be staying in. She finally THREW the keys at me when I told her I would be contacting management about her rude behavior she said"fine contact mangement".

unfortunately that was not the only problem with this place. The pool was gross it had cigarette butts floating in it. The indoor pool was disgusting. It smelled there was mold and mildew every where the elevator is slow slow slow. water from the shower would scauld you then freeze you. None of the housekeeping staff speaks english. One of the jacuzzis is broken. There is no place to sit at the indoor pool and only a few seats at the outdoor pool. really do not waste your money here.

• Stayed June 2006, traveled on business
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2006

I went to this hotel for a week with my husband and my 3 children.The room was clean and we had plenty of towels.We had 5 in our party and we only had 2 cups in the room and 2 bowls but we called the front desk and they were happy to bring us what we needed.The people at the front desk and housekeeping were VERY nice,they also have a nice inside pool.I didnt want to get on here and totally trash the place because it wasnt all bad.Here is the "BUT"....

The beds were so uncomfortable,I felt metal springs in my back and me and my husband both agreed that our backs hurt because of the beds...they really were bad.Our bed clothes didnt get changed except for the one night my daughter spilled soda on them and my husband went downstairs and got some clean ones.The elevator was actually quite scary,it made an awful noise on the way up and shook before it opened.The web site says "color cable TV" which is true BUT there is no HBO or any other movie channel and no pay per view.The thing that REALLY got me was when I went to leave and I was going to get back my "20$ key deposit" and the receptionist asked me if i wanted to take my "phone charges" out of my key deposit.I hadnt made ANY long distance calls at all so I asked where the charges came from and she showed me a SMALL notice on the front desk that said " 75cents PER local call" !! Yes,they charge you to make a local call so we ended up paying over 5 bucks since we used the phone to order pizza and call around town.I would say this place would be ok if you are traveling through town or are on a VERY tight budget but we probably wont stay there again.

Greensboro, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2006

We stayed again at the Ocean Plaza for June 18-20. The elevator did make noise while we where there but being on the 5 floor we had no problems using it. We parked outside the office for our visit, there seemed to be plenty of parking during our visit. Our side room did not have much of a view except for the parking deck, but our room was nice. The maids may not speak the best english but we find them nice and they offer to cleaning our room the second day, we passed. The pools where clean and we enjoyed our stay. I think for the money, the place does a pretty good job.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2006

We just got back from ocean plaza and we had a bad experience .When we first got there we thought it would be a nice place to stay for the money .The room was clean and a decent room .We left the room so the maids could clean and was only gone a few minutes and returned and discovered we had 2 billfolds and an expensive camera missing .which was all there before the maids came in to clean .The Motel done nothing about it .We was hoping that they would at least call the the maids in along with us for a little disscussion .Oh they did give us a 10% discount off our room ...WOW that was nothing for all the trouble we went through .The maids that came to our room could not speak any english nor understand anything. I tried telling her.We had 5 people in our room they would only leave 4 sets of towles ,some days I had to go get my own towels we stayed 5 days and they never cleaned the bathtubs or sinks at all ,after the 3ard day I figured surely they would change the sheets ,she was going to just make the beds with out changing them .I like to never get her to understand I wanted clean sheets .She did finally give clean one's .the vacume was only ran 1 time in 5 days .We stayed on the 7th floor and the elevator only goes to the 6 th floor .The elevator needed some serious attention we was was there.It was extremely slow and souded like it could break down at any time .It was real loud and clanged and banged around and when it got to the top it would just sit and vibrate for a minute or 2 before it would even open .It scared me so bad I was affraid it wasn't going to open up .So needless to say we had to run up and down 7 flights of stairs all week .carry all our luggage up and down the steps .It was a real pain in the butt.IF the elevator would have been working right and we didn't get our stuff stollen it would have been ok for the money .Other than you really have to get on the maids to do much cleaning .They need to get maids that can at least speak or understand a little english .I told them I needed towels and they just looked at me like they had no idea what i was saying .They did not have room for parking for all the people staying there either .we had to park next door or across the street down the road a little from the motel .that was very inconvient also .I guess you get what you pay for .Which is not Much at ocean Plaza.

• Stayed June 2006

Been to Ocean Plaza Motel? Share your experiences!