“RUDE, RUDE .RUDE STAFF” 1 of 5 stars

2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1005 South Ocean Boulevard, Myrtle Beach, SC 29577   |
Ranked #179 of 217 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
“RUDE, RUDE .RUDE STAFF”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2006

I WILL NEVER STAY AT THIS HOTEL AGAIN AND I SUGGEST THAT YOU DON'T STAY HERE EITHER!!!!! Upon check in the staff was complaining to each other one was sitting in back not helping at all while one yes one person was checking a long line of guests in. Well she was trying to check people in however no one appeared to have their room ready. We had reserved three rooms as we were in Myrtle Beach for business and only one was ready so we took the keys to that room. The front desk said we would get a call when the other rooms were ready. THREE hours later no call I went down to the front desk and was inform she would not give me the keys to the rooms I had paid for untill my party could come and register. I asked for a refund after trying to explain I just wanted the keys for the room I would be staying in. She finally THREW the keys at me when I told her I would be contacting management about her rude behavior she said"fine contact mangement".

unfortunately that was not the only problem with this place. The pool was gross it had cigarette butts floating in it. The indoor pool was disgusting. It smelled there was mold and mildew every where the elevator is slow slow slow. water from the shower would scauld you then freeze you. None of the housekeeping staff speaks english. One of the jacuzzis is broken. There is no place to sit at the indoor pool and only a few seats at the outdoor pool. really do not waste your money here.

• Stayed June 2006, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2006

I went to this hotel for a week with my husband and my 3 children.The room was clean and we had plenty of towels.We had 5 in our party and we only had 2 cups in the room and 2 bowls but we called the front desk and they were happy to bring us what we needed.The people at the front desk and housekeeping were VERY nice,they also have a nice inside pool.I didnt want to get on here and totally trash the place because it wasnt all bad.Here is the "BUT"....

The beds were so uncomfortable,I felt metal springs in my back and me and my husband both agreed that our backs hurt because of the beds...they really were bad.Our bed clothes didnt get changed except for the one night my daughter spilled soda on them and my husband went downstairs and got some clean ones.The elevator was actually quite scary,it made an awful noise on the way up and shook before it opened.The web site says "color cable TV" which is true BUT there is no HBO or any other movie channel and no pay per view.The thing that REALLY got me was when I went to leave and I was going to get back my "20$ key deposit" and the receptionist asked me if i wanted to take my "phone charges" out of my key deposit.I hadnt made ANY long distance calls at all so I asked where the charges came from and she showed me a SMALL notice on the front desk that said " 75cents PER local call" !! Yes,they charge you to make a local call so we ended up paying over 5 bucks since we used the phone to order pizza and call around town.I would say this place would be ok if you are traveling through town or are on a VERY tight budget but we probably wont stay there again.

Greensboro, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2006

We stayed again at the Ocean Plaza for June 18-20. The elevator did make noise while we where there but being on the 5 floor we had no problems using it. We parked outside the office for our visit, there seemed to be plenty of parking during our visit. Our side room did not have much of a view except for the parking deck, but our room was nice. The maids may not speak the best english but we find them nice and they offer to cleaning our room the second day, we passed. The pools where clean and we enjoyed our stay. I think for the money, the place does a pretty good job.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2006

We just got back from ocean plaza and we had a bad experience .When we first got there we thought it would be a nice place to stay for the money .The room was clean and a decent room .We left the room so the maids could clean and was only gone a few minutes and returned and discovered we had 2 billfolds and an expensive camera missing .which was all there before the maids came in to clean .The Motel done nothing about it .We was hoping that they would at least call the the maids in along with us for a little disscussion .Oh they did give us a 10% discount off our room ...WOW that was nothing for all the trouble we went through .The maids that came to our room could not speak any english nor understand anything. I tried telling her.We had 5 people in our room they would only leave 4 sets of towles ,some days I had to go get my own towels we stayed 5 days and they never cleaned the bathtubs or sinks at all ,after the 3ard day I figured surely they would change the sheets ,she was going to just make the beds with out changing them .I like to never get her to understand I wanted clean sheets .She did finally give clean one's .the vacume was only ran 1 time in 5 days .We stayed on the 7th floor and the elevator only goes to the 6 th floor .The elevator needed some serious attention we was was there.It was extremely slow and souded like it could break down at any time .It was real loud and clanged and banged around and when it got to the top it would just sit and vibrate for a minute or 2 before it would even open .It scared me so bad I was affraid it wasn't going to open up .So needless to say we had to run up and down 7 flights of stairs all week .carry all our luggage up and down the steps .It was a real pain in the butt.IF the elevator would have been working right and we didn't get our stuff stollen it would have been ok for the money .Other than you really have to get on the maids to do much cleaning .They need to get maids that can at least speak or understand a little english .I told them I needed towels and they just looked at me like they had no idea what i was saying .They did not have room for parking for all the people staying there either .we had to park next door or across the street down the road a little from the motel .that was very inconvient also .I guess you get what you pay for .Which is not Much at ocean Plaza.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2006

This was our 2nd year staying at the Ocean Plaza Hotel for Bike Week. Last year we had no complaints. This year we arrived one day early, they were very accomodating and placed us in another room which was good. The next day they placed us in our reserved room for the next 7 nights. This room was located on the end next to the Polynesian. That hotel allowed their guests to do burn outs of the motorcycles until 4:00 a.m. in their parking garage and we listened to the constant revving of the bikers. Since both of these hotels are managed together I view it as an Ocean Plaza problem too. I believe the hotel should have put a stop to this activity - at least not allow it past 11:00 p.m. We also had our digital camera stolen out of our room during a 2 hour trip down to the beach. At this time housekeeping was in there. We reported it as soon as it was noticed to the desk clerk and was told to report it to the management the next day, which we did. Nothing was done. We were offered to file a police report. We were told it should have been in the safe. Well, when the room key opens the safe, what is the point? We were extremely unhappy that nothing at all was done by the hotel regarding this issue. We checked back with them 2 days later and was told "sorry, no camera". Upon check out we were not asked how are stay was or no mention of the problem we had.

We are not happy with our stay at this hotel this year at all. We have now decided to choose another hotel for our stay next year.

• Stayed May 2006
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2006

We just returned today from a visit to the Ocean Plaza. The hotel we usually stay at was all booked up. This was a last minute weekend getaway for my wife and kids and the pics. on the website mad the place look okay. Now I wonder just how old those pics. are. The pools were disgusting. The outside pool had cigarette butts and garbage floating in it, and the inside pool was so dirty looking that I wouldn't even let my kids go to look at it. The funrniture in the room was nasty. The carpets were just plain disgusting and the parking was horrible. We stayed on the bottom floor oceanfront, but there was absolutely no way to see the ocean. The front desk staff wasn't all that friendly either. It seemed like if you had a question for them you were a bother. The Ocean Plaza was a major disappointment to me and I will definetly not stay there again.

• Stayed April 2006
columbus ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2006

We had a foursome heading to Myrtle Beach for a golf trip from April 8th to April 15th. We chose a golf package with Ocean Plaza because of the price. The next lowest price quote we received for the courses we wanted was hundreds more. I was a little nervous pulling up to the parking lot because of some of the reviews I read but as we pulled in there was plenty of parking and actually all week we never had a problem with finding a spot right in front of the hotel. Checking in was very easy and only took a couple of minutes. The front staff was very friendly and polite and answered any questions we had. We had rooms on the fourth floor with a balcony and a kitchens. The elevator was a little slow but we never had to wait for more than a minute for it. Walking into the room I was a little nervous but was surprised at the cleanliness of the room. There was some dirt around the edge of the stove and under the refigerator as if they did not get under and in between the stove and the refigerator real well. Other than that everything went very well and was pleasent. The carpet and the beds both seemed clean and neat. I did notice the phone book in the room was from 2004 as we were looking for the number for a restaurant that opened recently. The view of the ocean from the balcony was also very nice. The cleaning crew came and cleaned the room every day and provided us with clean towels. Overall I was very happy with the Ocean Plaza. I can say this is not the Hilton and if you are looking for something that is above average to upscale then you should probably stay somewhere else. If you are looking for a decent place to stay with a great view and cheap price then this is the place for you.

• Stayed April 2006