“Ok if you aren't expecting a 5 star hotel.” 3 of 5 stars

Ocean Plaza Motel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1005 South Ocean Boulevard, Myrtle Beach, SC 29577   |
Ranked #179 of 214 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Louisville, Kentucky
“Ok if you aren't expecting a 5 star hotel.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

I am going to be honest I was expecting the absolute worst after reading reviews but we stayed here anyways, I wasn't expecting a fancy room we just wanted an ocean front room free of bugs and we got that. We recently stayed here July 31-Aug4, we checked in super late around 10:30pm and there isn't anyone in the hotel office that late and I had called so I knew that we had to walk right next door to check in. I may have arrived on a good night b/c there were at least 2 other people checking in before us and we didn't wait but maybe 15 mins to check in and the lady at the desk was friendly. I only had to go into our lobby once right before checkout and they weren't the most friendly but we didn't have to deal with them so that I can handle. We were on the second floor so our view was okay would have liked to been a little higher up but just glad we didn't end up on the bottom level wouldn't have had much of a view of the ocean. The room was out of date which was to be expected but it was clean, the kitchen area was also clean.
Pros: ocean front, clean, easy beach access, clean pool, boardwalk is about 12 blocks away, hot water and good shower pressure
cons: rough bath towels, actual keys to get in room (no key card here), just a sheet and the normal hotel blanket (which I do not use:-) I brought my own blankets just b/c I am a little funny about using the comforters on hotel beds:-) they provide you with dishes in the kitchenette and they ask that you wash them before checkout which is understandable but you have to go to the lobby and buy your own soap, one of the ceiling panels above the shower was a little molded, make sure you get a parking spot on the street level b/c I did not like the below ground parking our last night there was no spots available on the street level so we went down the ramp to the other parking area which is pretty steep driveway and got down there and no parking spots available and so small I had to back up the driveway if you go you will see how this wasn't a very easy task:-)

Other than that you get what you pay for the beds weren't bad, air worked good, hot water, bug free & ocean view:-) The weather was bad so most of my pictures show cloudy sky it rained every day we were there.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014 via mobile

Unfortunately this is the only hotel in MB you can rent being under 21. My boyfriend turns 21 next month and we definitely should have waited to come. Check in was okay, she let us check in an hour early. The room had Popsicles left in the freezer & by the door & bathroom it smelled terrible the whole time! The only silver wear we had in the was butter knifes. The balcony door was very hard to open I couldn't open it myself. This hotel really needs some updating.

• Stayed August 2014
Stow, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

I had stayed for a week in July (this month) of 2014. Check in is rather late being at 4 pm. It took half an hour just to get checked in due to slow service in the main lobby (only had one person working). At the check in they gave me a piece of paper saying a bunch of items that would be in the room and they wanted me to go to my room and count how many forks, spoons etc... were in the room. they gave me an hour to turn the paper back in... last time I knew I came on vacation to relax, not to check in all the items in my room. There was mold on the ceiling in the bath room.
the light in the bathroom wouldn't turn on, you had to keep turning on and off the light switch to make it come on. wifi worked when ever it wanted to. the view was great. the pool was cleaned every morning. One night there were a bunch of people screaming in the pool way after pool had closed, called security and they came out very quickly to resolve the problem. I had a 100.00$ security deposite so I wasn't able to check out until 8:30 in the morning even though I wanted to get on the road by 7 the day of check out. the main office closes at 9 I belive so there for if you have a problem in the night theres no one to help out except for the hotel next door seeing they are under the same owner ship.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

It took an hour or more check in cause of only one person running the front desk with only one computer. The room had no remote to the t.v. Still had tater chips in the desk. Stains on the comforter and beer bottle tabs in other drawers. Wifi did not work and the ac sounded like a jet taking off overtime it came on.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Burlington, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

Checked in today and front desk was kind of rude, it took us 30+ mins to check in and it was only 2 people ahead of us, room was no Hilton but I've seen worst ..motel could use a upgrade but all in all okay experience nothing more.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Lexington, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

Just got back from the worst hotel in Myrtle, don't stay here unless you love the smell of urine in the star well. Place is disgusting, filthy, they didn't clean out room until 6pm and we had to ask them 3 times, they turned our heat on and set it on 80 degrees, I guess they wanted revenge for our complaints. This place is not safe could not open the front door or sliding door without my husband helping. A real fire hazard. Pool is more like a pond, trash everywhere rude staff, they don't care about you here. Its not cheap so don't use that excuse to stay here. if you stay here after reading all the bad reviews than you must live under a bridge.

Room Tip: Here is a tip, stay home if you cant spend some time finding something else
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Louisville, Kentucky
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

For the price you get what you pay for, the room was mediocre. Housekeeping barely cleaned and didn't want to work at all! On check out day we understood there was an 11 o clock check out but we needed some extra time because traveling with a 6 month old and 9 year old with all our stuff for 5 days with one elevator and our room being now where near the parking lot can be difficult. Housekeeping had already been by twice by 11 and the front desk called at 11:12 to inform me of the $25 late fee which was fine and we needed to be out by 12 which I also agreed to. By 1130 housekeeping supervisor knocked again as we are packing and we informed them that we spoke to the front desk and they acted like we were refusing to leave..... SIX staff members surround our door yelling at us as my husband was trying to take stuff down to our truck. We had to call police because of the harassing it was awful and scary for my children. The cop came at 12:05 and we were waiting in the parking lot for him( we met the 12 deadline) and we were still being harassed. Worst experience for my child and baby. I am going to be filing a charges and a lawsuit on this hotel!!!!!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Been to Ocean Plaza Motel? Share your experiences!