“Needs more staff” 2 of 5 stars
Review of 3 Palms Oceanfront Myrtle Beach

You added 3 Palms Oceanfront Myrtle Beach to your Saves list
3 Palms Oceanfront Myrtle Beach
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   703 South Ocean Boulevard, Myrtle Beach, SC 29577 (Formerly Atlantic Palms Resort)   |
Ranked #102 of 214 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
north america
“Needs more staff”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2008

This hotel has practically no lobby, so don't expect to be able to sit around and have a meal, etc. It has a very light staff, so don't expect someone to always be at the front desk. The cleaning crew consists of two young girls. So don't expect your room to be clean. They only make up the beds to "clean". They do not clean the sink or the bathtub. They do not straigten up anything in the room. They won't change the sheets on the bed so there will be sand in your bed. Everyone is friendly enough, but there just aren't enough people to run the hotel properly. That said, the jacuzzi is FABULOUS!!! The other pools are okay, but the lazy river had a sharp edge in it that cut someone so watch yourselves and your children. Also, the pool does not get much direct sunlight and you cannot see the beach from the pool. So it's kind of cold and does not have a good view. However, there is a heated pool.

• Liked — It was close to everything important
  • Disliked — Not enough staff to effectively run the hotel
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
3palmsMyrtleBeach, management firm sales manager at 3 Palms Oceanfront Myrtle Beach, responded to this review, May 10, 2009
Since your stay at Atlantic Palms there is new ownership and a new Hotel Management Company. We are very sorry to hear you were unhappy with your stay last year. Our management company strives for 100% guest satisfaction and has policies and procedures that ensure great guest service. Staffing has been increased so there is always at least one person at the front desk and two during check in hours and on busy days. Housekeeping has also been increased with more workers and we have an executive housekeeper who checks every room before it is reported as clean. Daily housekeeping is done unless a guest requests no service. Our standard for cleaning a room is to change sheets, vacuum. Remove trash, clean entire bathroom and replenish towels. We can not do anything about the location of the pools and lazy river but they are inspected daily and maintained to have no safety issues. Training of all staff is ongoing and our general manger is committed to having all guests enjoy their stay at the Atlantic Palms.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2008

If you select a unit here online, you will not get the same unit upon arrival. It's a major problem with this condo hotel. We booked the Penthouse King unit with 500 sq ft balcony for $199 per night.

Problems: Parking is across the street and 1 block down out in the open. We got keys that had a different number on them but were told to "remember the real room number." We go to the 7th floor with our luggage and find a 2 bedroom interior unit with small windows and no balcony. We go back down. I had my confirmation printed out. They didn't care to look at it. So, we were given more key cards with wrong numbers and went back up in the elevator. 2nd room was a king, not the penthouse and a very narrow balcony with one plastic chair overlooking the construction next door. No instructions on the phone to call the front desk so I called back down on my mobile. I got: "Sorry, we're booked and the description was wrong on the internet...we have a lady who has the same problem next to you." Huh? Do I feel better? Asked for a discount. Was told they would find us another unit in Another Resort. Ah, no, we are tired, it's already 6pm and only there for one night. I gave up. My husband went to get ice for the cocktail I so badly needed at this point. No ice bucket. Was told by the desk clerk it is in our room. No it isn't. She can't help us. So we found a glass pitcher in the unit, which by the way "must be washed and put back exactly where you found it because the maids don't do that." The unit was new, clean and certainly liveable for one night, but I felt taken advantage of and for $199 for a non-penthouse, non-ocean view, non-ice bucket "resort" unit was laughable. We stayed in room 715 which is not on the top floor. Don't waste your time or money. This place is for teenagers.

• Liked — It was new.
  • Disliked — Everything else.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
3palmsMyrtleBeach, management compnay sales manager at 3 Palms Oceanfront Myrtle Beach, responded to this review, May 10, 2009
Since your stay at Atlantic Palms there is new ownership and a new Hotel Management Company. We are very sorry to hear you were unhappy with your stay last year. Our management company strives for 100% guest satisfaction and has policies and procedures that ensure great guest service. Room types have been updated on all online sites and our reservation system puts you into the room you reserved online. Training has and continues to be done with all front desk staff to ensure proper handling of guest check in, our policy is to write your room number on your key envelope. Inventory of staple room items has been done and all rooms have been fully equipped. Housekeeping now forms to report and replace nay missing items. The general manger has worked with our management company for years and is committed to developing his staff to ensure every guest has a great experience at Atlantic Palms.
Columbus, OH
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2008

I'm not really sure what hotel the other reviewers were staying at, but the one I stayed at was completely different. There aren't too many parking spots in the underground garage, but that really can't be helped. The parking lot across the street is not a block down, it is only a 25 foot stroll down the sidewalk and a walk across the street and you're there. The loading and unloading parking lot is a little on the small side, but it's plenty big enough. The view is awesome, and even from the sideview rooms, you can see the ocean. There are two pools, and the pictures online do not give them enough credit. Online they look kind of dirty but they are way better than that. I couldn't even find any pictures of the outdoor pool, which is way nicer than the indoor one. The lazy river was nice, and the upper patio is incredible. There is private beach access and outdoor showers to wash off sand. Sure the rooms aren't huge, but they are plenty big enough for the number of guests you register for. I stayed there an entire week, and never did I encounter rude or unprofessional staff. There was no sign posted that said 'towel shortage' or you need to return towels to get towels. Everytime I left my room for the day, that night when I returned, the bed was made and I had fresh linens. And the rooms smelled like clean laundry, definitely not cat urine. I really enjoyed my stay at the Atlantic Palms and I would recommend others stay here. The hotel is very family-oriented and perfect for families looking for a getaway. A couple of the hotels nearby had karaoke and swim-up bars, which isn't necessarily kid-friendly. This hotel was exactly what I was looking for and I will definitely coming back.

• Liked — Oceanview
  • Disliked — n/a
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Newark, DE
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2008

I found out about Atlantic Palms when my boyfriend and I came down to stay at the hotel next door, Hotel Blue. We absolutely hated Hotel Blue and immediately decided to find another place to stay. We decided to check out Atlantic Palms and the staff was extremely helpful in getting us a room to stay in for the rest of the week. They told us they were always getting guests who hated Hotel Blue and ended up needing another place to stay. The staff at Atlantic Palms allowed us to look at our hotel room before we checked in, and it was beautiful! The kitchen, the bedroom and the bathroom were all really clean. The bed was pretty comfortable. The room was pretty warm when we first got there, but it cooled off in no time when we turned the AC on. We ended up with an oceanfront room that gave us a great view of the beach and the pool. I was able to enjoy every minute of my vacation once I booked a room here...and it was cheaper than the room we had at Hotel Blue! The only minor setbacks were the fact that parking was limited in the garage. We had to park across the street (directly across from Hotel Blue, which is right next door), so it really wasn't bad at all. There were also two times where we had to ask the maids for towels because they forgot them when they cleaned our room, but they were always there to help us right away. The entire staff was friendly and very helpful. There was one night where we had a problem with the lock on our door. When we closed the door behind us, we were able to open it without the key! That's a pretty big problem! But, as soon as I contacted the front desk, they had someone up to our room in less than 5 minutes to fix the lock. The guy fixed our lock in a matter of seconds and we were okay for the rest of our stay. I would definitely stay here again when I visit Myrtle Beach in the future!

• Liked — The view of the beach
  • Disliked — Elevators too slow
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2008

I attended a family reunion and the hotel decided upon by my cousin was Atlantic Palms. I did read some of the reviews before booking but felt obligated to stay there since family would be doing so. I hoped the reviews I read were wrong but no, they weren't. Unloading is a challenge since there is a very small drive-up area in front of the hotel. Also there is a very very small garage under the hotel. Did I mention it is very very small??? There are enough parking spots across a busy street but you may have difficulty crossing safely. The rooms are not as described--much smaller.You have to hunt for workers to clean your room. A cleaned room does not mean you will have fresh towels. That is an additional challenge. You have to store up towels when you see a cart with them or go down to the laundry room when they are freshly done. Rooms are cleaned all the way up to 10PM--I am not exaggeratong. Don't forget to check and make sure you have sufficient linen because if you call the front desk too late, they will send it up the next day. The pool is a large tub so not for true swimmers. The staff was friendly but they seemed to be doing their tasks for the first or second time--not trained but maybe friends helping out. The best part of the hotel is the ocean view from the balcony. Next to this, the other best part is leaving the hotel on your last day. I would not stay there ever again. I hope you pay attention to all I wrote. Unfortunately it is all true.

Stayed July 2008
Findlay, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2008

After being allowed to check in 1/2 hour late, our room for four had a king size bed and a single pull out couch. We had a very nice kitchenette however only three drink glasses and no hot pads, dish cloths or towels. Our whole trip there were signs up telling us they were sorry for a towel shortage. After taking four towels out in the morning, only 2 towels were left, no washcloths or hand towels. However the signs said we had to turn in towels to get towels!?! I'm not sure how this was to work. Could they not buy more towels or have more machines to wash the towels?

The convenience to the beach was awesome, and the pools and lazy river were ok.

The hotel was always clean and the staff was polite.

• Liked — location to the beach
  • Disliked — not enough towels and parking across the street
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
oxford
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2008

No parking, had to park across street one block down, which wasn't terrible...but a hassle.
The staff was horrible, not friendly at all. One girl took break about 15 times a day..she would be outside on her cell phone each time we saw her which is probably why the phone rang about 50 times before someone picked up when you called the front desk. There were no clean towels, they said they had a shortage and had to take our old ones but would bring us new ones. One day I asked for clean towels 3 or 4 times. Elevator was slow, rooms were small. After we waited for the slow elevator & we FINALLY got to our room our keys wouldn't work. we would have to go back to the front desk to get them to fix our keys. BIGGEST thing during our stay had to be the fire alarms going off. Everyone ran out of their rooms, down the fire exits & got outside to the front of the hotel, where we weren't told anything. After about 20 minutes, everyone started going back in. Still don't know what happened there, but their staff was so lazy they wouldn't get out from behind the desk long enough to tell us what was going on. best thing about it was the pool, that's it!!! Don't stay here.

• Liked — pool
  • Disliked — room
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to 3 Palms Oceanfront Myrtle Beach? Share your experiences!