“Surprised at the Staff Kindness!” 5 of 5 stars

Monterey Bay Suites
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   6804 N Ocean Blvd, Myrtle Beach, SC 29572   |
Ranked #71 of 215 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Abingdon, Virginia
“Surprised at the Staff Kindness!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

The first thing I noticed was how friendly and kind the staff was! There's always some kind staff anywhere you got but almost everywhere you go you'll catch at least one employee possibly having a bad day or in a bad mood. Whether it's that their rude directly to you or just seem to feel like you're a bother, it's something that sticks out. I didn't have that experience with not even one employee. Every single one was as kind as can be and seemed to be enjoying their job. I even tried to goad a few into complaining but they were just all so friendly! The second thing about the hotel, is that I didn't realize how family friendly it was. We watched a free magic show, the kids had a duck race and they even did arts and crafts for the kids. There was slight entertainment during the free hot breakfast every morning (and they served something different for each one). One emlpoyee carried a Ukulele and sang silly songs putting everyone in a great mood. They had the magician there one morning making balloon hats and swords for the kids and another morning they even had a pirate with his parrot. My kids had a blast and without having to spend a lot of money they got to do a lot! The hotel felt safe and homey. The rooms were really nice. I noticed another reviewer commented on the musty smells of the elevators. This is due to people traveling from pool/ocean to room and the floors getting wet. But I noticed that two or three times a day, hotel staff would be mopping the elevators which would make them smell better for a while. So it's not something that they aren't trying to keep up. The rooms were super clean and the beds were really comfortable! The elevators are slow in the mornings but other than that, if you can have some patience you're in for a fabulous vacation! I compared prices for this hotel with other similar hotels and they have the best prices! I will definitely be back to stay each year!

Room Tip: I've only stayed once, there are 2 full size beds in the bedroom and a pull out full size bed in...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (197)
Canton, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2012

Excellent location, Clean room, Friendly staff, Great breakfast, Nice pool & yard, Best suite rate on the Beach!

Room Tip: Get a beachfront suite . You can't go wrong.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

Its probably difficult to keep a beachfront property clean.Common areas never appeared to have been recently cleaned.Our oceanfront suite had a musty smell, as did the elevators. Cleanliness was decent, but corners of windowsills and floors needed better. Beginning to show signs of wear. Housekeeping service was excellent with plenty of towels.
Checkin was quick. Breakfast was better than most, served c afeteria style: scrambled eggs, pancakes, different meat each day, grits, cereal, etc and gets busier later.
Only 2 of the 3 main elevators were in service and were slow.
Seems to be a good place to take kids: Right on the beach, lawn games.
Is about 50 blocks north of main part of Myrtle Beach.

Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

We (family of 5)stayed June 18-22. We have high standard and we were not disappointed from making the reservations to check in it was a smooth process The rooms were great and there was space for everyone .Ashley the manager, knows the best resturants in the area.Tracey warm smile greeted us every morning. The ukele was a wonderful touch while we ate.All the staff made use feel safe and happy to be there I am glad we choose Monterey Bay Suites and have not stopped singing your praises to everyone back home infact two families are making reservations. Thanks The Mitchells

Room Tip: 10TH floor has a pool.
Barboursville, West Virginia, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

Thank God we only booked one night at Monterey Bay Suites. Our room smelled like urine and there were pools of urine in the halls and stairs. We couldn't use the balcony due to the overwhelming smells of marijuana and the drunks at the pool pulling down their pants! The room was nasty dirty and worn out. I had my 9 year old grandson with me! When we complained all we got was a lukewarm "Sorry!" I have been traveling to Myrtle Beach once or twice a year for over 30 years and spent time in many places. Nothing has ever been as bad as this Hell Hole!!!

Room Tip: Don't think about it unless you are there to drink and party in dirt!
Hendersonville, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2012

We stayed here from June 18 - 22, 2012. It was a very nice experience. The manager, Ashley was very friendly and helpful. We chose this hotel for the price and amenities and we were not disappointed. Breakfast was great - we got too much to eat, and the serving ladies were very friendly. We also enjoyed the ukelele playing host. He really brightened the morning with his jokes and songs. My daughter enjoyed the pirate with his parrot who visited one morning. The parking garage was tight but manageable - much better than other places we have stayed. The room was narrow but who stays in the room that much? We did have to call housekeeping because our housekeeper kept forgetting to leave us fresh towels (she would take the old ones and never return) but they were very prompt in getting towels to us. That would be my only complaint and that's not terrible just inconvienent. They did have kid friendly activities but not too many. That would be one suggestion I would make is to have something like the nearby resorts offer but other than that, it was great. I would definitely stay here again!

Statesville, N.C.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

My wife and I stayed here from June 14 - 17, 2012 in room 1035. We arrived extra early and asked if we could use the facilities until time to check in. We were welcomed with open arms. The clerk went ahead and checked us in and told us to come back after 2:30 for our room keys. She was very friendly and made us feel like she was glad we were there and not just wasting her time.

The property is very clean and well maintained. This is a must anywhere we go. We were very pleased. Every time we had an encounter with a member of the satff, housekeeping, maintenance, etc..., they were very friendly and helpful. The room was very clean and well maintained. This is not a new hotel but they definately go out of their way to keep it shining. I am very particular on the cleanliness of a room when I stay somewhere; this room was very clean and met my needs.

I read many posts that the parking and elevators are terrible. I will admit that the elevator did not open the second I pushed the button, and the parking garage was tight, but both were manageable. We rarely had to wait more than five minutes or so for an elevator each time we wanted one. Hey, we are on vacation in a resort hotel full of people. We expect the elevators to be slow and we are on vacation and have no time schedule. It's okay. The parking garage was no challenge. Yes, it was a bit tight. As long as you remember that you cannot drive through it at 35 mph, slow down and be patient, there does not seem to be an issue.

All in all for the price, location, the staff and the aminities, the Monterey Bay Suites is definately a jewel in the sand in Myrtle Beach. We plan to be back in September and really hope that we can get the same room. We are already missing being there.

Room Tip: The 10th floor also has the rooftop pool and jaccuzzi. Very convenient.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Monterey Bay Suites? Share your experiences!