“HORRIFIED!!” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #177 of 214 hotels in Myrtle Beach
Indianapolis, IN
“HORRIFIED!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2006

I was HORRIFIED!! Opening the door there were cigarette burns on the table, end tables, in the carpetand the blankets. The carpet was terribly stained and in need of replacement. The back bedroom was disgusting. There were numerous stains on all 3 beds. My daughter found hair woven in the sheets and mascare marks on the pillow. NOT OURS!! To top off how disgusting it already was, there were toe nail clippings on the in the front bedroonm again, NOT OURS!! We stayed 1 night only because we had to. I found a much nicer condo (executive suite) for almost the same amount of money and it was the difference between Heaven and HELL. When i checked out I was not asked why I was checking out 2 days early and I definetly let them know how disgusting everything was when we checked in. Needless to say, I wasnt offered a refund for the days that I didnt stay do to their NO REFUND policy. It didnt matter to me, I couldnt stay in that hotel another night.

• Stayed March 2006

183 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2006

I took my parents down for an extended weekend in July 2005. We had booked a room at the Viking Motel. When we got there the room was not ready, although it was 6pm and check in is at 4pm. We had to wait for an hour. The clerk did give us a small discount for our inconvenience. I was embarrassed that I had my parents in such a nasty place. Sadly, we couldn't find other accomodations at such a late date. The room smelled of urine, the carpet was dirty, the tub had hair in it. When we got to the pool there was fecal matter on the deck. I must say that the customer service there was good. The clerk was very nice and apologetic. She could not contact maintainence at the time so she went to the pool to see what she could do. She was exceptional although the hotel itself needs a wrecking ball!

3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2005

All I can say is that for 30 years my family stayed at the Viking and I have had several great memories of the place. Although there has been little changed in that 30 years, it holds great memories for me. The staff has always been great

Stayed May 1999
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2005

The Viking is an excellent bargain (especially at this time of year), there are no crowds, parking is abundant, the rooms are extra clean and staff attentive (workers not overwhelmed). Winters are great value in Myrtle Beach - nice restaurants with no waiting, still lots of things to do. I've never been much of an ocean swimmer or sunbather so don't miss it. We've been booking a Viking beachfront efficiency for a February week since 1983 - the year I graduated from University of South Carolina's Myrtle Beach campus and moved north to start my career. We could afford fancier than Viking now, but could not buy a better time!

• Stayed January 2004
Guelph, ON
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2005

I booked a golf package through The Golf Wizard for 15 guys at the Viking Motel from November 4th - Nov 8th 2005 and we just got back. The motel is old and tired but did the job for our group. One of our rooms had to be changed due to an undetermined stench that just wouldn't go away. We found out later that some crack-head had rented the room with his dog for the week before we arrived. After the switch to another room was made maintainence was in the old room tearing up the carpet and doing an all-out cleaning so it could be used again. The beds were comfortable and the showers were adequate for what we needed. The pool was open and looked very nice and well kept. I did find a bug in the shower one morning - it was either a sand beetle or a cockroach - I am not sure. The staff were good and dealt with any problems promptly. I stayed at one of there sister motels 2 years ago - The Polynesian - and they are pretty similar. For 4 nights lodging and 5 rounds of golf with carts at $226.00 US I knew the motel wouldn't be spectacular. In summary, I would not take my wife and kids to this motel. However, on a golf trip with 15 guys this motel did the job. Whether we will return to The Viking next year for our golf trip has not yet been determined - my guess is probably not.

• Stayed November 2005
Durham, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2005

My dad took me and my two kids (they were 9 months and 2 years at the time) to this motel last year from June 21-24. It was a great value for the money! We were comfortable in our room and were thankful for the kitchenette so we could cook a few meals there. The room and pool were clean, so no problems there. Oh...and the view was a lot better than I'd expected. We had a room on the 2nd floor with a great view of both the pool and the ocean. I could sit on my bed and enjoy it. But an employee told me that not all of the rooms have that view.

I would definitely recommend this motel for families on a budget. It's a nice place to stay, especially for the price! In fact, we're all going back tomorrow, from 6/20-25. We're going to be staying in a different type of room this time, though...last time we got 2 beds, and this time we'll have 3. I'll write another review sometime after we get back.

• Stayed June 2004
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2005

Im very picky about the places I stay, and at first glance wasnt sure. But went and looked at the ocean front suites and they were very nice AND CLEAN! Highly recommend for family and friends to get a two bed room suite. Has a cute little kitchen and great view. Nice clean pool and great access to the beach. Staff was very nice and friendly. Not a fancy place but clean and safe no bugs! I have stayed in Holiday inns & Best Westerns not as nice as here. Again nothing fancy but I will stay there again our family loved it!

• Stayed May 2005

Been to Viking Ocean Front Motel? Share your experiences!