“Our stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #174 of 214 hotels in Myrtle Beach
McArthur, Ohio
“Our stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

Went on vacation with a friend and her young son.The room was not the cleanest one I have stayed in ,but with the number of people in M.B. at any given time everything is NOT going to be perfect .The staff ( office.maintence and house keeping ) were very nice .Yes sir (ma'am) ,no sir(ma'am) was part of there answers to anything. There were 7 of us and a one year old. All we needed to do was ask and they took care of it. As far as the price it was very cheep (not cheep) fit in to our budget very well.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
povmgmt, General Manager at Viking Ocean Front Motel, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to comment on tripadvisor. We appreciate any and all guest feedback. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay with us. We would be happy to have you as a guest with us again in the future. We deeply apologize for any housekeeping issues you may had. We will be sure to pass that along to the appropriate department head. If there is anything that you may need, please do not hesitate to contact us. We are here to assist you with your reservation needs. Have a wonderful day!

177 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013 via mobile

Rooms were nasty. Housekeeping didnt exist. Mold in rooms. Elevators broken. Fire hazzards everywhere. Trash all over the property. No staff to b found if u had a problem. Toilet ran all the time. If you were lucky enough to get towels they were more like rags. Poor parking. I COULD GO ON . NEVER NEVER AGAIN. SHOULD BE CLOSED DOWN BY CODE ENFORCEMENT.

• Stayed July 2013
Thank you for taking the time to comment on tripadvisor. We appreciate any and all guest feedback. I would like to apologize for any inconvenience that you may have experienced during your stay with us. I also like to say, we called every guest about the problem with the elevator, to give them a chance to stay elesewhere. Things happen with mechanical stuff, that is out of our control. I thank you for voicing your concerns and bringing these issues to our attention. I will make sure that your complaints are forwarded to the appropriate department heads for further review so that the issues can be taken care of. Thank you again for the valuable input. It truly is appreciated. I hope you have a wonderful day.
Tulsa, Oklahoma
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013 via mobile

An affordable motel right on the beach with spare, semi-clean rooms. This are the benefits. The cons are more extensive. If people in your party are under 25, you must pay a $50 cash deposit per person. You must wash your own dishes before check out and they do not provide dish soap or kitchen towels. There is noise throughout the hotel all night. Some of the staff are friendly and others are rude and dismissive. I would say if you can find another motel in the price range, stay there instead. Not the most abysmal place I've stayed, but I will not be returning.

• Stayed July 2013
Thank you for taking the time to comment on tripadvisor. We appreciate any and all guest feedback. I would like to apologize for any inconvenience that you may have experienced during your stay with us. I thank you for voicing your concerns and bringing these issues to our attention. I will make sure that your complaints are forwarded to the appropriate department heads for further review so that the issues can be taken care of. Thank you again for the valuable input. It truly is appreciated. I hope you have a wonderful day.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013 via mobile

Third year in a row we have stayed. Very friendly staff. It is a older motel but clean and well run. We come to be on the beach and vacation not live in a hotel room. It's not a condo. Will stay again next year. Thanks Viking

• Stayed June 2013
Thank you for taking the time to comment on tripadvisor. We appreciate any and all guest feedback. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay with us. We would be happy to have you as a guest with us again in the future. If there is anything that you may need, please do not hesitate to contact us. We are here to assist you with your reservation needs. Have a wonderful day!
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

I came to this motel with my family as a vacation with another family. We reserved two rooms of two beds. Their experience is okay compared to us. Just as we arrived, we noticed the motel seems a bit run down which was fine as long as everything works. But finding parking was a bit hard which in most hotels near the beach are usually full. As we enter the motel room which was room 205. We found hair strands on the first bed next to the door and a small washout blood stain. We saw a housekeeper and asked her a new sheets for one of the two beds. She was friendly enough to give us some. As we enter the bathroom, the sink had a horrible putrid smell to it and was filled with green water and something black. It seems as if it was there for days! We complain right away to the front desk and the girl in the front said she will call maintance and have them on it right away. We complain at 11 A.M and maintance didn't arrive till 6 or 7 hours later. It was a rainy day and at one point the lifeguards call everyone out of the beach because of the weather which sucks, because we had to stay in our room which had a musky smell and the odor of the bathroom was overwhelming, we could not use the bathroom because of its stench. Oh, and the bathrooms do not have hair dyers and the motel does not offer wifi, irons, or complimentary breakfast which is okay but just as a statement for those who want to stay there. The room is moldy but the least of our concern. Finally when the maintance guy left, he left behind a BIG mess. He claim to report it to the office. We did too, which there was a different girl who took over front desk. She came upstairs about a hour or two hours later and came just to spray the sink and powered the floor for the place to smell better. The Vacuum barely work and she said she get housekeeping to fix it. Housekeeping DID NOT clean what the maintenance left behind. We left his mess under the sink and the trash can was with the black water the removed from the sink . The end of the shower had it also. So as it get close to night, the fire alarm goes off a couple times though no one is smoking or cooking. It stopped after 11 but started again at 5:30ish or 6 waking us up. We complain again around 7:30.
From this experience, I can say staff is friendly and location is nice but the conditions of the motel room is Horrible. Pictures will be posted.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013 via mobile

We stay here every year for the past 4 years. This year we had a very bad experience. I was doing our laundry which I have done before when we came and the bottom dryer didn't work after taking my money. The top one did but after using $4 my clothes still were not dry. Front desk told me to look for a number on the machine. No number. I thought they were supposed to take care of this kind of thing for you. Washed again 3 days later put my clothes in the top dryer but only the things I didn't want to hang outside. Guess what it didn't work at all this time. Went to the front desk(different girl) she said come back and talk to the manager in the morning. So I did the girl there was rude. Wouldn't let me speak to the manager said there was nothing they could do except call maintience and have them call the owners of the dryer. Also the housekeepers have told me to put our dirty towels outside by the door and they would pick them up and leave new ones on the bed. Didn't happen then ask that same hateful girl she said your not supposed to leave them outside. I told her the housekeepers told me different. Probably will never get my money back it's only $3 but the hatefulness is uncalled for. We like this place because it fits in our budget of 5 kids and its not a bad place to stay but the workers could be more professional. One more thing about this trip. Every where we turned every day all day someone was smoking weed. At one point I though I was going to get sick the smell was so strong coming in my room from the people next door smoking on there balcony and my door was open. Not sure if it was national pot smoking week while we were there or what but I really didn't like that more than anything else.

• Stayed June 2013
povmgmt, General Manager at Viking Ocean Front Motel, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to comment on tripadvisor. We appreciate any and all guest feedback. I would like to apologize for any inconvenience that you may have experienced during your stay with us. When the dryer issue was brought to my attention, I called the company and had them fixed immediately. I thank you for voicing your concerns and bringing these issues to our attention. I will make sure that all other complaints are forwarded to the appropriate department heads for further review. Thank you again for the valuable input. It truly is appreciated. I hope you have a wonderful day.
Charlotte, NC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

A patch of black mold on the ceiling in the bathroom as big as my foot. An old sandwich left in the refridgerator from who knows when. Also, someone fighting--physically fighting outside our room in the early a.m. Avoid at all costs!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to fill out our online TripAdvisor. We appreciate any and all guest feedback. I would like to apologize for any inconvenience that you may have experienced during your recent stay with us. After reviewing our maintenance records I do not see where there are any prior reports of the issue you mentioned in the room you occupied. Maintenance issues are often unexpected and I’m sorry if this issue proved bothersome to you during your visit. Had we known about the issue prior I can assure you that we would have repaired it to a satisfactory level before your arrival. I do thank you for voicing your concerns, and for your valuable input. This issue will be forwarded to our director of maintenance to ensure it has been properly handled so that we don’t run into a reoccurring problem. I also turn over the issues to housekeeping concerning the problems there. I hope that you have a wonderful day.

Been to Viking Ocean Front Motel? Share your experiences!