“The location is all that is good about this motel” 1 of 5 stars

You added Viking Ocean Front Motel to your Saves list
Viking Ocean Front Motel
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   1811 South Ocean Boulevard, Myrtle Beach, SC 29577   |
Ranked #177 of 214 hotels in Myrtle Beach
“The location is all that is good about this motel”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

I came to this motel with my family as a vacation with another family. We reserved two rooms of two beds. Their experience is okay compared to us. Just as we arrived, we noticed the motel seems a bit run down which was fine as long as everything works. But finding parking was a bit hard which in most hotels near the beach are usually full. As we enter the motel room which was room 205. We found hair strands on the first bed next to the door and a small washout blood stain. We saw a housekeeper and asked her a new sheets for one of the two beds. She was friendly enough to give us some. As we enter the bathroom, the sink had a horrible putrid smell to it and was filled with green water and something black. It seems as if it was there for days! We complain right away to the front desk and the girl in the front said she will call maintance and have them on it right away. We complain at 11 A.M and maintance didn't arrive till 6 or 7 hours later. It was a rainy day and at one point the lifeguards call everyone out of the beach because of the weather which sucks, because we had to stay in our room which had a musky smell and the odor of the bathroom was overwhelming, we could not use the bathroom because of its stench. Oh, and the bathrooms do not have hair dyers and the motel does not offer wifi, irons, or complimentary breakfast which is okay but just as a statement for those who want to stay there. The room is moldy but the least of our concern. Finally when the maintance guy left, he left behind a BIG mess. He claim to report it to the office. We did too, which there was a different girl who took over front desk. She came upstairs about a hour or two hours later and came just to spray the sink and powered the floor for the place to smell better. The Vacuum barely work and she said she get housekeeping to fix it. Housekeeping DID NOT clean what the maintenance left behind. We left his mess under the sink and the trash can was with the black water the removed from the sink . The end of the shower had it also. So as it get close to night, the fire alarm goes off a couple times though no one is smoking or cooking. It stopped after 11 but started again at 5:30ish or 6 waking us up. We complain again around 7:30.
From this experience, I can say staff is friendly and location is nice but the conditions of the motel room is Horrible. Pictures will be posted.

• Stayed July 2013
povmgmt, General Manager at Viking Ocean Front Motel, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to comment on tripadvisor. We appreciate any and all guest feedback. I would like to apologize for any inconvenience that you may have experienced during your stay with us. I thank you for voicing your concerns and bringing these issues to our attention. I will make sure that your complaints are forwarded to the appropriate department heads for further review so that the issues can be taken care of. Thank you again for the valuable input. It truly is appreciated. I hope you have a wonderful day.

185 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013 via mobile

We stay here every year for the past 4 years. This year we had a very bad experience. I was doing our laundry which I have done before when we came and the bottom dryer didn't work after taking my money. The top one did but after using $4 my clothes still were not dry. Front desk told me to look for a number on the machine. No number. I thought they were supposed to take care of this kind of thing for you. Washed again 3 days later put my clothes in the top dryer but only the things I didn't want to hang outside. Guess what it didn't work at all this time. Went to the front desk(different girl) she said come back and talk to the manager in the morning. So I did the girl there was rude. Wouldn't let me speak to the manager said there was nothing they could do except call maintience and have them call the owners of the dryer. Also the housekeepers have told me to put our dirty towels outside by the door and they would pick them up and leave new ones on the bed. Didn't happen then ask that same hateful girl she said your not supposed to leave them outside. I told her the housekeepers told me different. Probably will never get my money back it's only $3 but the hatefulness is uncalled for. We like this place because it fits in our budget of 5 kids and its not a bad place to stay but the workers could be more professional. One more thing about this trip. Every where we turned every day all day someone was smoking weed. At one point I though I was going to get sick the smell was so strong coming in my room from the people next door smoking on there balcony and my door was open. Not sure if it was national pot smoking week while we were there or what but I really didn't like that more than anything else.

• Stayed June 2013
povmgmt, General Manager at Viking Ocean Front Motel, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to comment on tripadvisor. We appreciate any and all guest feedback. I would like to apologize for any inconvenience that you may have experienced during your stay with us. When the dryer issue was brought to my attention, I called the company and had them fixed immediately. I thank you for voicing your concerns and bringing these issues to our attention. I will make sure that all other complaints are forwarded to the appropriate department heads for further review. Thank you again for the valuable input. It truly is appreciated. I hope you have a wonderful day.
Charlotte, NC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

A patch of black mold on the ceiling in the bathroom as big as my foot. An old sandwich left in the refridgerator from who knows when. Also, someone fighting--physically fighting outside our room in the early a.m. Avoid at all costs!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to fill out our online TripAdvisor. We appreciate any and all guest feedback. I would like to apologize for any inconvenience that you may have experienced during your recent stay with us. After reviewing our maintenance records I do not see where there are any prior reports of the issue you mentioned in the room you occupied. Maintenance issues are often unexpected and I’m sorry if this issue proved bothersome to you during your visit. Had we known about the issue prior I can assure you that we would have repaired it to a satisfactory level before your arrival. I do thank you for voicing your concerns, and for your valuable input. This issue will be forwarded to our director of maintenance to ensure it has been properly handled so that we don’t run into a reoccurring problem. I also turn over the issues to housekeeping concerning the problems there. I hope that you have a wonderful day.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013 via mobile

I love the location and the price of the rooms. Staff was very friendly. Rooms lil outdated but had plenty of room. Staff asked everyday if we needed anything. Parking is crazy here, you have to park across the street. We will never stay here again. We didnt get 1 good night sleep here due to the noise. People are running, yelling,partying till 4am . Knocking on doors. Slamming doors 24/7. This is not a place to stay if you have kids and want to sleep at night.

• Stayed June 2013
Thank you for taking the time to comment on TripAdvisor. We appreciate any and all guest feedback. I would like to apologize for any inconvenience that you may have experienced during your stay with us. We are an older property, and we do cater to an economy traveler offering the lowest rates we possibly can. I thank you for voicing your concerns and bringing these issues to our attention. I will make sure that your complaints are forwarded to the appropriate department heads for further review so that the issues can be taken care of. Thank you again for the valuable input. It truly is appreciated. I hope you have a wonderful day.
Asheville, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

Me and my family just got back from the beach a week ago, by the pictures of this place it looks nice but its not, when we arrived they charged us more then what they said it was going to be. We got into our room which was on the first floor, it stunk the moment we walked in, I went in and checked the beds and they sheets hadn't been changed so I asked for some clean ones, we stayed in that room the first night and didn't get any sleep because of the noise and itching to death, the next morning we got up and I found these little bites all over my 7 month old so we took him to the ER they said it was bug bites. So we went back to the hotel and asked for a different room, they put us on the fifth floor, it was a whole lot quieter but the second night my son got more bug bites so I ended up taking him back to the ER. We went to the front desk to request our money back so we could get a different room to try and enjoy the rest of our stay, they refused to give us a refund even though we had papers from the ER that our son had bug bites on him. Needless to say we packed up our stuff and moved to the Polynesian Beach and Golf Resort which is owned by the same ppl but a whole lot nicer and the staff are very friendly, my son didn't get bit anymore since we had moved hotels. I would not stay at the Viking if it was my last resort, the hotel was nasty, stunk, my son got bit and the staff was very unfriendly since the day we arrived.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
povmgmt, General Manager at Viking Ocean Front Motel, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to comment on TripAdvisor. We appreciate any and all guest feedback. I would like to apologize for any inconvenience that you may have experienced during your stay with us. It’s our protocol to look further into the situation, before we determine whether a refund is an option. We have to call a pest elimination company to identify the type of bug, if any. I thank you for voicing your concerns and bringing these issues to our attention. I will make sure that your complaints are forwarded to the appropriate department heads for further review so that the issues can be taken care of. Thank you again for the valuable input. It truly is appreciated. I hope you have a wonderful day.
Concord, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

This hotel is old, Its a side view in South Myrtle Beach. But that being said, Its clean, Beds are fine and I have stayed here more than a few times. I have never seen a bug. Rates are the best in the beach for what you get. I came down for Bike Week with 2 other friends and we all agree the money was right and the staff were top notch. Parking is a issue, but if you just park across the street you will be fine. I will be back.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to comment on TripAdvisor. We appreciate any and all guest feedback. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay with us. We would be happy to have you as a guest with us again in the future. If there is anything that you may need, please do not hesitate to contact us. We are here to assist you with your reservation needs. Have a wonderful day!
Mocksville, North Carolina, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

Stayed 1 night on May 4, 2013. We had a 2 bedroom ocean front. Late Saturday night I pulled the covers down from the bedroom that had the 1 queen to find a napkin with lipstick kisses all over it between the sheets!!!! Obviously they did not change them, not sure how long the nasty napkin was there. My husband & I figured it was too late to have something done then. We checked out the next day, my husband took the napkin in a trash bag to the check out counter, ALL THEY DID WAS GIVE 10% OFF!! that was it. I will never stay there again. If you do I suggest you bring a change of bedding with you. Luckily for us, my husband told me to pack bedding just in case. Extremely disappointed and nasty.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to comment TripAdvisor. We appreciate any and all guest feedback. I would like to apologize for any inconvenience that you may have experienced during your recent stay with us. It is not typical for housekeeping to be lacking in the services that you have mentioned in your complaint, however errors are made and I’m sorry if anything was overlooked during your visit. I will make sure these issues and concerns are brought to the attention of our director of housekeeping for further review so they can be addressed with individual employees. Thank you again for your valuable input. I hope you have a wonderful day.

Been to Viking Ocean Front Motel? Share your experiences!