“Nasty!!!” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #177 of 216 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Asheville, North Carolina
“Nasty!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

Me and my family just got back from the beach a week ago, by the pictures of this place it looks nice but its not, when we arrived they charged us more then what they said it was going to be. We got into our room which was on the first floor, it stunk the moment we walked in, I went in and checked the beds and they sheets hadn't been changed so I asked for some clean ones, we stayed in that room the first night and didn't get any sleep because of the noise and itching to death, the next morning we got up and I found these little bites all over my 7 month old so we took him to the ER they said it was bug bites. So we went back to the hotel and asked for a different room, they put us on the fifth floor, it was a whole lot quieter but the second night my son got more bug bites so I ended up taking him back to the ER. We went to the front desk to request our money back so we could get a different room to try and enjoy the rest of our stay, they refused to give us a refund even though we had papers from the ER that our son had bug bites on him. Needless to say we packed up our stuff and moved to the Polynesian Beach and Golf Resort which is owned by the same ppl but a whole lot nicer and the staff are very friendly, my son didn't get bit anymore since we had moved hotels. I would not stay at the Viking if it was my last resort, the hotel was nasty, stunk, my son got bit and the staff was very unfriendly since the day we arrived.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
povmgmt, General Manager at Viking Ocean Front Motel, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to comment on TripAdvisor. We appreciate any and all guest feedback. I would like to apologize for any inconvenience that you may have experienced during your stay with us. It’s our protocol to look further into the situation, before we determine whether a refund is an option. We have to call a pest elimination company to identify the type of bug, if any. I thank you for voicing your concerns and bringing these issues to our attention. I will make sure that your complaints are forwarded to the appropriate department heads for further review so that the issues can be taken care of. Thank you again for the valuable input. It truly is appreciated. I hope you have a wonderful day.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Concord, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

This hotel is old, Its a side view in South Myrtle Beach. But that being said, Its clean, Beds are fine and I have stayed here more than a few times. I have never seen a bug. Rates are the best in the beach for what you get. I came down for Bike Week with 2 other friends and we all agree the money was right and the staff were top notch. Parking is a issue, but if you just park across the street you will be fine. I will be back.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to comment on TripAdvisor. We appreciate any and all guest feedback. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay with us. We would be happy to have you as a guest with us again in the future. If there is anything that you may need, please do not hesitate to contact us. We are here to assist you with your reservation needs. Have a wonderful day!
Mocksville, North Carolina, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

Stayed 1 night on May 4, 2013. We had a 2 bedroom ocean front. Late Saturday night I pulled the covers down from the bedroom that had the 1 queen to find a napkin with lipstick kisses all over it between the sheets!!!! Obviously they did not change them, not sure how long the nasty napkin was there. My husband & I figured it was too late to have something done then. We checked out the next day, my husband took the napkin in a trash bag to the check out counter, ALL THEY DID WAS GIVE 10% OFF!! that was it. I will never stay there again. If you do I suggest you bring a change of bedding with you. Luckily for us, my husband told me to pack bedding just in case. Extremely disappointed and nasty.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to comment TripAdvisor. We appreciate any and all guest feedback. I would like to apologize for any inconvenience that you may have experienced during your recent stay with us. It is not typical for housekeeping to be lacking in the services that you have mentioned in your complaint, however errors are made and I’m sorry if anything was overlooked during your visit. I will make sure these issues and concerns are brought to the attention of our director of housekeeping for further review so they can be addressed with individual employees. Thank you again for your valuable input. I hope you have a wonderful day.
Ocala, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Not handicapped friendly. 14.00 charge per night for amenities - these include broken down washing machine in the 'laundry room' (a dirty corner of the building, not a room), a pool that was closed, a heater/ac that was attached to the wall at ceiling height - therefore unable to reach the settings. In addition the cover to this machine fell to the floor in the middle of the night. I had to call maintenance to come adjust the settings
because it could not be reached by the average person (he had to get on a chair). An empty vending machine for 2 days.
Everything was dated, minimally clean, broken, inaccessible by my handicapped companion (no ramps, no step in shower). I would not recommend this place to anyone.

Room Tip: I saw two rooms and neither were acceptable
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to comment on TripAdvisor. We appreciate any and all guest feedback. I would like to apologize for any inconvenience that you may have experienced during your stay with us. I thank you for voicing your concerns and bringing these issues to our attention. I will make sure that your complaints are forwarded to the appropriate department heads for further review so that the issues can be taken care of. Thank you again for the valuable input. It truly is appreciated. I hope you have a wonderful day.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013 via mobile

We traveled with our children for an overnight weekend stay, and were pleasantly surprised! The previews we read beforehand threw up red flags, and we weren't expecting a whole lot, but we were wrong! The room was clean and in order, and the children had plenty of room to roam inside. The bathroom had new flooring, the kitchen and refrigerator were clean and in good working order. We were able to walk directly to the ocean in about a minute ...didn't care too much for the across the street parking though. There are only about 10-15 spots available by the building. The only issue we had was one of the two TVs didn't work. We called the front desk, and had a replacement in no time! We will stay here again on our next Myrtle Beach trip!

• Stayed April 2013
povmgmt, General Manager at Viking Ocean Front Motel, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to comment on tripadvisor. We appreciate any and all guest feedback. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay with us. We would be happy to have you as a guest with us again in the future. Unfortunately, the parking situation is not the best in Myrtle Beach. If there is anything that you may need, please do not hesitate to contact us. We are here to assist you with your reservation needs. Have a wonderful day!
St. Catharines, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013 via mobile

We were a bit apprehensive about booking this place after seeing some of the reviews but decided to take the chance to stay within our budget. For $39 bucks a night it turned out to be a great gamble. We are a family of four so the three beds and two TVs were perfect and oceanfront to boot. For the location it's a steal, sure it's outdated, could use wifi and more parking, but the room was clean, the balcony view spectacular and the staff was very courteous and friendly. Check in is supposed to be 4:30, we arrived at 11:30am and after a 16 hr drive we were allowed to check in early. We will definately recommend this place to anyone who wants a clean reasonable priced place to stay. It's certainly a big reason thatching year was another memorable March break in MB

• Stayed March 2013
Thank you for taking the time to comment on tripadvisor. We appreciate any and all guest feedback. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay with us. We would be happy to have you as a guest with us again in the future. If there is anything that you may need, please do not hesitate to contact us. We are here to assist you with your reservation needs. Have a wonderful day!
Hartsville, South Carolina, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

We had first stayed there about 4 yrs. ago,The Only thing then was the Room Smelled like Mildew.But When my Son told me About the Great price they had for Easter Weekend (Which was Also Spring Break) I Decided to give it a Try,Well We are very Glad we Did,This Motel has Improved 100%.It was Very Clean & the Staff was very Friendly.We had a Sideview,But Still could see the Ocean.Love this Place & Will be Coming Back!!!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
povmgmt, General Manager at Viking Ocean Front Motel, responded to this review, April 8, 2013

Been to Viking Ocean Front Motel? Share your experiences!