“Good hotel for family beach trip” 4 of 5 stars

Special Rate
30% Spring Savings
Ranked #15 of 215 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“Good hotel for family beach trip”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

This hotel makes an effort to keep rooms clean and orderly. Our sink in the bathroom was clogged and the maintenance man was there quickly to fix it. The hotel tries hard to keep guests orderly (laminated sheets in room state if you use laser pointers or yell for people from the balcony that are at the pool or beach you will be asked to leave without a refund).
They also do a nice job of limiting pool access to guests by using plastic armbands instead of requiring keys which is very convenient. The kitchen has full size appliances and the room layouts are make sense. I was concerned when I saw the parking deck was across the street, but that's not a problem. The street is not busy and drivers do a good job of stopping and letting pedestrians cross. Having a Starbucks nearby is nice as well.

For a family vacation where you need a clean room in a good location with nice pool and beach access this hotel will do.

Room Tip: Good location for families who need a clean room to sleep in for a beach vacation with access to a n...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Megan M, Front Office Manager at Caribbean Resort And Villas, responded to this review, June 22, 2013
Dear Stdarty,

Thank you very much for your review! We are thrilled to hear that you had a great vacation with us at The Caribbean Resort. Our staff does try very hard keep everything clean and orderly around the Resort so thank you for mentioning that. We do appreciate you sincere comments. We look forward to seeing you in the future!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (508)
Newark, Delaware
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013 via mobile

I will agree with most of what a recent reviewer said as I also noticed the smoking on balconies and pool areas. It was diss appointing to go enjoy the beach breeze on my balcony and get a whole mouthful of second hand smoke. I also noticed the same chair saving tactics during my stay. I was up early every morning and I would see people plop their towels and belongings on chairs and tables at 6:30 a.m. and not return until much later in the day. The plus side is that the beach and water was very nice and not crowded and I liked being on the northern end so it was a bit quieter and not as much traffic. However, as the previous reviewer stated, there are a lot of teens there and it does get rowdy and noisy especially at the pool area and hallways at night. There was a lot of street cruising at night with kids hollering and peeling wheels that could be heard at late hours and we were on the 9th floor and we could still hear all the racket. We have a 7 year old and he did enjoy himself there and liked the pools and lazy river. I will say the pools do get crowded and there are lots of kids unsupervised so there was lots of little ones jumping and splashing on top of us even in the hot tubs. So don't stay at this hotel this time of year if that sort of thing bugs you. We stayed during the second week of June 2013. The pool bar was a bit overpriced and had limited drink selections but I did notice lots of people bringing their own drinks and beers to the pool. The no outside alcohol rule was definitely not enforced there but that didn't matter to me. The pools were a bit dirty like hair floating, sunscreen film on the water and some foamy pool scum in corners and tons of sand on the bottom but I did see staff clean the pools every morning. Also some of the hot tubs were not hot at times or not working. The hotel is in a good location and close to many restaurants and activities and the Starbucks and ice cream store across the street was nice. Parking garage across the street was good but spaces are tight for a truck or SUV. The elevators were very crowded during the day and the elevator floors were always wet and dirty from people going back and forth between pools and rooms. I actually slipped several times and I was being super careful. I got stuck in the elevator a few times but I did see a mechanic working on it at one point. We found out that the elevators in the Cayman Tower are much nicer and cleaner so we used them instead of using the ones where we stayed in the Dominican Tower. Overall, I noticed the Cayman is much nicer, cleaner, and quieter. I probably would have opted to stay there if I had known previously to booking. When we arrived on June 9th to check in our room wasn't ready yet so we kept checking back several times at the front desk and most of the staff there was friendly. Check in is at 3:00 and at 3:40 they said the room still wasn't ready. Mind you we had been driving since 3 a.m. That day and we were very tired and ready to get settled in and my son was getting very antsy by that point so I had to get a little firm by that point and finally the nice guy at the front desk gave us our keys. I think he sensed that we were at our breaking point after sitting around waiting for so long. When we got to the room at 4:00 the cleaning lady was still there but she was nice and apologized for the hold up. The room was just ok, the rugs were very damp and the kitchen area was dirty like ketchup splatters on the wall and dust and dirt on the coffee maker and oven. Bathroom was a little shabby and the shower curtain was moldy so I left a note for the cleaning staff to replace it with a new one and they did. I will say the water pressure was good and plenty of hot water. My son stayed on the Murphy bed which he liked but I noticed the plastic headboard smelled like band aids and there was dirt, dust, and even a piece of old gum stuck to the beds metal frame. It wasn't the cleanest place for sure and the room was very humid so the sheets always had that weird sticky feeling even when we tried to make the room colder. Also the ice machine on our floor didn't work the whole week we were there but we just walked across to the Cayman to get ice since the two towers are connected. All in all, we liked the beach and the location but I would highly suggest staying on the Cayman side if you are picky about rooms and cleanliness like I am. Everything seemed much better shape on that side probably because they are newer.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear T D,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor. I am very sorry to hear about the issues you encountered during your past stay with us. Like I said in the review below, I will absolutely be sure to speak with the Recreation Manager and come up with beneficial solutions to these problems. I am saddened to hear that the elevators were dirty and slippery. We have a housekeeper that rotates from each elevator bank and the restrooms all day long. I will be sure to speak with the Director of Housekeeping in regards to this issue. I do hope you choose to stay with us again. I do agree that the Cayman tower may suit your needs better. Once again, thank you very much for your review.
Valdese, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

Average room in the Dominican tower. Very clean!! Staff was nice and friendly. Pools were dirty :( Asked for key for in room safe and was told they were out?? Really--"Kids waterpark" is really just a pool with one waterslide and a submarine that squirts water. Lazy rivers are very small. Overall average motel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Megan M, Front Office Manager at Caribbean Resort And Villas, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
Dear CoopDawgMom,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor.com. I am very sorry to hear that the Dominican Tower was not up to your standards. I do apologize that we did not have any safe keys available when you stayed with us. We have ordered some more but it is taking longer than expected. When this does happen we can lock your valuables in our safe in the back office. I truly do apologize that you were not aware of this. I do hope you will consider staying with us again. I believe the Cayman Tower may suit your needs better for your next stay. Once again, thank you very much for your review.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

We stayed 5 days 4 nights. When we arrived we had a bell hop meet us at our car and immediately loaded up the cart with all of our suitcases. He meet us at our room . We arrived at 11:00 am why before our check in time. Arriving was easy, went to the desk received the keys and away I went. Our stuff was in the room, the room was clean and very nice. Two queen beds and a Murphy bed. All the beds were great ! Clean and comfortable . The cleaning crew were outstanding. Everyday we had the same female cleaning our room, she was outstanding. The token was very clean, beds made vacuumed . We were in a rush one of the days and told the service female that there was no need to vacuum today, she went out of her way to not only vacuum but change everything. It's the little things that count, and that's what will bring us back again. I've stayed at two different resorts over the last three years, this is the one to stay at. Ocean front it was awesome !! Thank you, we will be back

• Stayed June 2013
Dear Fastbusa,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor.com! We are thrilled to hear that Rose gave you wonderful housekeeping service. Rose is truly a valued employee and I will be sure that she is rewarded for your sincere comments. We are so glad that you enjoyed all that the Caribbean Resort has to offer. We look forward to seeing you in the future.
Baltimore, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

Let me start with the good. The housekeeping was very good. The housekeeper's name was Rose and she was exceptional and very friendly. Also, the rooms were in slightly better shape than the two other resort where I've stayed (Compass Cove and Coral Beach). The elevator situation was much better than others I've experienced in MB...more of them and seemed faster. The location was also very nice at the north end. A bit more quiet and the beach was not too crowded.

There were a few things that bothered me significantly and would likely keep me from returning. First, the smoking was HORRIBLE. There was one sign that said smoking wasn't allowed on the pool deck, but no one paid attention to it...neither the guests nor the staff. If it was a rule, it certainly wasn't enforced. And it was gross to the point of distraction. Many guests even smoked IN the pools and while going down the lazy river. I realize that it is a personal choice and that management cannot control who their guests are, but there just has to be a better system to keep smokers and non-smokers both happy. At Maryland resorts, they separate the outdoor areas for smoking and non-smoking.

The resort has banned smoking in the rooms but still allows it on the balconies. This meant that it was impossible to sit on your balcony and enjoy the view or the "fresh" air...particularly in the evening. We couldn't even leave our balcony door open to listen to the waves...the smoke was really that bad.

Also, there were numerous signs at the pool that said "chair saving" wasn't allowed. However, it also wasn't enforced. Many parties sent an early riser down to save chairs that they then didn't use...sometime all day. This caused a significant chair shortage. By 10am, I had difficulty finding 2 chairs together (and I was there this past week...hardly high season). Management needs to either buy more chairs, or enforce the no saving rule.

The pools are open until midnight. This meant that tweens and teens would come screaming down the hallways at 12:15am. And with the suites, the bedrooms are right on those hallways, making it difficult to sleep before they all settle in. Again, not the hotel's fault per se. However, a little more management presence might have quieted things down a bit. Or closing the pools a bit earlier might have made it a bit more bearable.

Given that there are so many resorts to choose from, I will likely not return to the Caribbean because of these two issues.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Megan M, Front Office Manager at Caribbean Resort And Villas, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Dear Tarristrvlr,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on TripAdvisor! I am glad to hear that Rose offered you great service. Rose really does work hard so thank you very much for mentioning that. I am so pleased that you had great housekeeping service during your stay.

I am so sorry to hear about the issues on the pool decks. I do agree that the smoking needs to be monitored closely. I also do agree that guests should absolutely not be saving chairs. This is an ongoing issue that we are trying to take control of. We usually take the towels and place them at the tiki bar until our guests claim them. I do apologize if this was not enforced during your stay with us. I will absolutely be sure to speak with the Recreation Manager in regards to these issues and create beneficial solutions. Thank you very much for your suggestions.

I do apologize that the smoke coming from other guests balconies created a problem. I would recommend requesting a higher floor because we find the smoke is not as bad on the top floors. I am so sorry that you could not utilize your balcony because of this issue. I truly do hope you give us the opportunity to make your next stay wonderful. If you have any other questions or concerns please do not hesitate to contact me at the Resort. Thank you very much.
Addison, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013 via mobile

June 6-13, 2013 we had a king suite in the Dominican tower. Decor was bright, room clean, and ocean view spectacular. Kitchen was fully equipped; we had breakfast, lunch, and snacks such as warm choc chip cookies at night with cold milk on the balcony and ate dinner out. Our girls slept on the trundle and couch bed and enjoyed their own tv. One afternoon had rain so we rented movies from red box. Pools were clean, towels at the pool stocked, staff friendly. Location perfect--5 miles from super Walmart, less than 2 miles from broadway on the beach, a mile from the pier, starbucks and yogurt shop across the street. Enjoyed great dinners at Tommy Bahamas, Sticky Fingers, Audeblo, Captain George Seafood, Margarataville, and one eve pizza poolside!
Disadvantages: parking is across the street but so are other large resorts. Drinks poolside pricey. Towels at pool abundant but small so we bought MB beach towels. Definitely recommend and look forward to returning!

• Stayed June 2013
Dear Dona H,

Thank you very much for your great review! We are thrilled to hear that you had a great vacation with us at The Caribbean Resort. Thank you for your sincere comments about our accommodations and amenities. I do apologize that the parking garage being located across the street was an issue for you. I do appreciate that you understand that most large resorts have to put their parking garage across the street in order to save room on the beach side. We are so glad you chose to stay with us. We look forward to seeing you and your family again soon!
Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

We just returned from a family vacation. We had a 3 bedroom oceanfront condo in the Cayman Tower. It was spacious enough for the seven of us. The condo was clean. The lady cleaning the room was great - she tracked down some coffee for us since we didn't remember to buy any at the store. We always needed extra towels which she provided quickly. The rooms are not exactly soundproof just like most hotels - you can hear alarms, showers, doors all hours of the night. It wasn't extremely loud. The pools, lazy rivers, hot tubs, and water play area for the kids was all great and clean. We didn't have any problems with the staff at all. Just make sure your door closes all the way when you leave. Ours didn't always shut properly.

Room Tip: We loved the fact that the room was oceanfront - we went out on the balcony every day multiple times...
Dear FamilyVacation1998,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a great review on TripAdvisor! We are delighted to hear that you loved the ocean front three bedroom condo and all the amenities we offer at the Caribbean Resort. I am so sorry to hear that the room was not sound proof enough. I would absolutely recommend staying the the ocean front four bedroom or angle three bedroom condo next time. These rooms do not have any other units beside them. Once again, thank you so much for your wonderful review. We hope to see you back here soon!

Been to Caribbean Resort And Villas? Share your experiences!