“So-So” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #16 of 214 hotels in Myrtle Beach
Baltimore, Maryland
“So-So”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

Let me start with the good. The housekeeping was very good. The housekeeper's name was Rose and she was exceptional and very friendly. Also, the rooms were in slightly better shape than the two other resort where I've stayed (Compass Cove and Coral Beach). The elevator situation was much better than others I've experienced in MB...more of them and seemed faster. The location was also very nice at the north end. A bit more quiet and the beach was not too crowded.

There were a few things that bothered me significantly and would likely keep me from returning. First, the smoking was HORRIBLE. There was one sign that said smoking wasn't allowed on the pool deck, but no one paid attention to it...neither the guests nor the staff. If it was a rule, it certainly wasn't enforced. And it was gross to the point of distraction. Many guests even smoked IN the pools and while going down the lazy river. I realize that it is a personal choice and that management cannot control who their guests are, but there just has to be a better system to keep smokers and non-smokers both happy. At Maryland resorts, they separate the outdoor areas for smoking and non-smoking.

The resort has banned smoking in the rooms but still allows it on the balconies. This meant that it was impossible to sit on your balcony and enjoy the view or the "fresh" air...particularly in the evening. We couldn't even leave our balcony door open to listen to the waves...the smoke was really that bad.

Also, there were numerous signs at the pool that said "chair saving" wasn't allowed. However, it also wasn't enforced. Many parties sent an early riser down to save chairs that they then didn't use...sometime all day. This caused a significant chair shortage. By 10am, I had difficulty finding 2 chairs together (and I was there this past week...hardly high season). Management needs to either buy more chairs, or enforce the no saving rule.

The pools are open until midnight. This meant that tweens and teens would come screaming down the hallways at 12:15am. And with the suites, the bedrooms are right on those hallways, making it difficult to sleep before they all settle in. Again, not the hotel's fault per se. However, a little more management presence might have quieted things down a bit. Or closing the pools a bit earlier might have made it a bit more bearable.

Given that there are so many resorts to choose from, I will likely not return to the Caribbean because of these two issues.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Megan M, Front Office Manager at Caribbean Resort And Villas, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Dear Tarristrvlr,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on TripAdvisor! I am glad to hear that Rose offered you great service. Rose really does work hard so thank you very much for mentioning that. I am so pleased that you had great housekeeping service during your stay.

I am so sorry to hear about the issues on the pool decks. I do agree that the smoking needs to be monitored closely. I also do agree that guests should absolutely not be saving chairs. This is an ongoing issue that we are trying to take control of. We usually take the towels and place them at the tiki bar until our guests claim them. I do apologize if this was not enforced during your stay with us. I will absolutely be sure to speak with the Recreation Manager in regards to these issues and create beneficial solutions. Thank you very much for your suggestions.

I do apologize that the smoke coming from other guests balconies created a problem. I would recommend requesting a higher floor because we find the smoke is not as bad on the top floors. I am so sorry that you could not utilize your balcony because of this issue. I truly do hope you give us the opportunity to make your next stay wonderful. If you have any other questions or concerns please do not hesitate to contact me at the Resort. Thank you very much.

1,443 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (282)
Addison, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013 via mobile

June 6-13, 2013 we had a king suite in the Dominican tower. Decor was bright, room clean, and ocean view spectacular. Kitchen was fully equipped; we had breakfast, lunch, and snacks such as warm choc chip cookies at night with cold milk on the balcony and ate dinner out. Our girls slept on the trundle and couch bed and enjoyed their own tv. One afternoon had rain so we rented movies from red box. Pools were clean, towels at the pool stocked, staff friendly. Location perfect--5 miles from super Walmart, less than 2 miles from broadway on the beach, a mile from the pier, starbucks and yogurt shop across the street. Enjoyed great dinners at Tommy Bahamas, Sticky Fingers, Audeblo, Captain George Seafood, Margarataville, and one eve pizza poolside!
Disadvantages: parking is across the street but so are other large resorts. Drinks poolside pricey. Towels at pool abundant but small so we bought MB beach towels. Definitely recommend and look forward to returning!

• Stayed June 2013
Dear Dona H,

Thank you very much for your great review! We are thrilled to hear that you had a great vacation with us at The Caribbean Resort. Thank you for your sincere comments about our accommodations and amenities. I do apologize that the parking garage being located across the street was an issue for you. I do appreciate that you understand that most large resorts have to put their parking garage across the street in order to save room on the beach side. We are so glad you chose to stay with us. We look forward to seeing you and your family again soon!
Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

We just returned from a family vacation. We had a 3 bedroom oceanfront condo in the Cayman Tower. It was spacious enough for the seven of us. The condo was clean. The lady cleaning the room was great - she tracked down some coffee for us since we didn't remember to buy any at the store. We always needed extra towels which she provided quickly. The rooms are not exactly soundproof just like most hotels - you can hear alarms, showers, doors all hours of the night. It wasn't extremely loud. The pools, lazy rivers, hot tubs, and water play area for the kids was all great and clean. We didn't have any problems with the staff at all. Just make sure your door closes all the way when you leave. Ours didn't always shut properly.

Room Tip: We loved the fact that the room was oceanfront - we went out on the balcony every day multiple times...
Dear FamilyVacation1998,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a great review on TripAdvisor! We are delighted to hear that you loved the ocean front three bedroom condo and all the amenities we offer at the Caribbean Resort. I am so sorry to hear that the room was not sound proof enough. I would absolutely recommend staying the the ocean front four bedroom or angle three bedroom condo next time. These rooms do not have any other units beside them. Once again, thank you so much for your wonderful review. We hope to see you back here soon!
Richmond, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

After a recommendation and the reviews on Trip Advisor, I decided to book a 2 bed/2bath villa for a 5 night stay. We arrived on Sunday around 430pm and the check in process was quick considering how busy they were. We got our room at the Chelsea House villas and the room was just like I expected. It was very spacious and had the perfect layout for our family of 4 (2 adults and 2 kids ages 2 & 5). The location was perfect. Not too far up North and far enough away from the boardwalk area. Really close to attractions, etc. We were lucky enough to be in a front villa that when we were on our front decks we could see the ocean. We also liked having our own parking and not having to be in the deck or cross the street whenever we needed our beach stuff, etc.

Now the issues. While I can tell some renovations had been completed the unit we stayed in definitely needed some more updating. First, every.single.door in our unit had an issue. All 3 sliding glass doors were broken or missing something. The front door to the unit did not have an additional top safety lock (like most hotels) and this was a concern for us with our 2 year old who could easily open the front door. One of the sliding glass doors lock was broken, another was missing one of the additional locks, and the other got stuck off track and we could not close it. Even when it was fixed it was still incredibly difficult to lock. The door leading from the back deck to the courtyard was so swollen (it was wood) that it was extremely hard to open and you could see that others had the same issue because it was cracked. The good news is that every time we called maintenance they came and fixed the issue, no problems. In fact for the additional top lock they had some I think they use at the main hotel but these doors were not flushed so couldn't fit properly. They went out and bought a chain lock to put at the top. That definitely made us rest easier and we were very grateful.

An issue we called about several times and was never resolved our entire trip was Wi-Fi. We never had it in our room. Now, I know you are probably thinking you are on vacation, why do you need Wi-Fi, but it is helpful to look up things in the area (especially since this was our first trip ever to Myrtle Beach) and even on vacation my husband is always on call so if he needed to remote in to work, he would need the Wi-Fi. We were told that they had to reboot the servers, they called second level tech, we were going to get a new router, and a manager was going to call us. Well we never got the new router, nor a call from a manager. We wind up just using our smart phones as hot spots, but the problem with that is uses data from our plan. So we would use it very minimally.

The villa we rented came with a full kitchen. They had updated the counter tops, oven, and microwave. However, it definitely needed some replacing due to wear on the items they had in stock. They could add a couple of small items to make the stay easier. The dishwasher was a joke. It was definitely the kind of dishwasher you pretty much had to wash the dishes before putting them in the machine if you wanted them cleaned. Having the stackable washer/dryer was great and is a must have!

All of the wood on the decks was very worn. I think the wood and the doors could stand to be updated/replaced. I know the wear from not only constant use, but being so close to the salt water just wears down the materials over time.

The resort did have great amenities like all of the pools and water park. The kids had a great time. The staff (from front desk, to maintenance, housekeeping, etc) were all very nice and helpful.

Like I said our trip was good, but not great. Not 100% sure we will come back to this resort.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Megan M, Front Office Manager at Caribbean Resort And Villas, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
Dear LIRich,

Thank you very much for taking the time to tell us about your past experience at The Caribbean Resort. I would first like to start off by saying how sorry we are for the maintenance and internet issues you encountered during your stay. I am not sure why there were so many issues with the locks in your unit but I will absolutely be sure to make our housekeeping and maintenance department aware. I am glad to hear that our staff was able to fix most of these issues in a timely manner. Thank you very much for mentioning how hard our staff works to make your vacation great.

I do apologize that the internet was not working properly as well. I know we were having some difficulty with the internet last week but we had it up and running within one day. I am so sorry that I did not contact you about the internet issue; unfortunately I was not aware that you were having problems with it. I would have been more than pleased to speak with you in regards to the issues you experienced. Once again I do apologize and I truly hope you consider staying with us again at The Caribbean Resort. I hope you give us the opportunity to make your next stay wonderful.
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

My buddy and I stopped in for a couple of nights while driving back from Miami and as usual, it was outstanding. 2 nights in the Dominican and 3 rounds of golf were perfect. D'Ann, in the golf department takes care of everyting you need and is always a pleasure to deal with! Been coming back to the Caribbean in October for our annual golf trip with 20 guys for the last 13 years and have never had a problem. Great, affordable rooms, great food next door, great beaches and pools and of course .. GREAT GOLF!

Room Tip: Ask for higher floor to get the best views!!!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Megan M, Front Office Manager at Caribbean Resort And Villas, responded to this review, June 15, 2013
Dear Tom R,

We are so pleased to hear that you had a wonderful golf vacation with us at the Caribbean Resort! We are so glad that D'Ann offered you great service; she truly is a valued staff member. Come back and see us soon!
sunburypa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

My family of nine are currently staying at this resort and what a great choice we made , The rooms in the Dominican tower are updated and everything seems to be clean.The water amenities are so much fun that we spend more time there than on the beach! In addition ,the staff could not be better , very helpful and courteous.It took me forever to decide on this resort but I'm so glad we chose this one also because of location.I now see that the closer you get to the boardwalk the more congested things are - and this is only the second week in June!

Dear pennyhSunburypa,

Thank you very much for your amazing review on TipAdvisor.com! We are so glad to hear that you had a wonderful vacation with us at the Caribbean Resort. We are thrilled that you had a great time on our pool decks. We look forward to seeing you back here soon!
Nashville, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

We just returned from our vacation with 12 at the beautiful Caribbean Resort - this was our first time visiting Myrtle Beach and we were quite impressed - the hotel staff was excellent - super friendly and helpful. We were traveling with two small children and were given brand new, out of the box, pack n play's - the staff even set them up for us. Facilities were clean and there were numerous pool areas to keep the kiddos entertained. We were very happy with our stay and plan to return.

Room Tip: The Cayman tower is closest to the water slide, but the Dominican is right on a pool as well - also...
Dear Melissa C,

Thank you very much for choosing to stay with us for your first trip to Myrtle Beach! We are thrilled to hear that you had a wonderful vacation with us at the Caribbean Resort. Our staff works extremely hard to make your vacation great so thank you very much for mentioning their hard work. We look forward to seeing you in the future!

Been to Caribbean Resort And Villas? Share your experiences!