“Utterly dissatisfied” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 217 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Detroit, Michigan
“Utterly dissatisfied”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

First the positive news: the late afternoon and evening front desk team were very courteous and helpful with dinner recommendations and helping me to find an excellent place to get a manicure and pedicure because the on site spa was already closed. I had never been to Myrtle Beach and thought the beach access and pools were great. Now the negatives: I was so excited to book this trip through Hilton Grand Vacation Club for my birthday weekend only to be sorely disappointed by both the room and the initial service upon arrival. After waiting at the airport 30-40 minutes for the free shuttle (the airport is barely 10 minutes from the hotel), I was told I wouldn't be able to check in for another 3-4 hours. I shared that I had been traveling all morning and wanted to get settled so I could begin enjoying my special day. In a hotel this large, I cannot believe that not one room is cleaned and ready for checking by 1/1:30pm. Finally,the front desk found a room and I expressed my appreciation for the stafflooking to serif a room was available instead of just telling me that check in was at a certain time. I thought I hit the jackpot when I saw that I was on one of the top floors, that is until I opened the door and saw my ocean "view": the beach clothes drying on the balcony across from me in the other tower. It is so uncomfortably close that the only way to spend any time in your room with any modicum of privacy is to keep the heavy curtains closed. There aren't even any sheer curtains to allow some light in. I called Hilton grand vacations to complain. They told me they would investigate the possibility of getting me into either another room or into another Hilton property nearby and would call me back. They finally called back about 4 hours later and only after 2 emails to my Hilton Honors contact. When the supervisor did call, it was only to tell me that all of the Hilton properties were booked and she could give me some points. When I asked to speak to a manager to see if that really was the best they could do, I was told the manager would call me. I finally ventured out for dinner and to see the town. I returned to the hotel about 5 hours later and still had not heard back from the manager. The front desk person on this shift told me that these rooms that face the other tower are the only rooms that Hilton Grand Vacations is allowed to book at this property. I wish Hilton Grand had said something earlier so that I could have made an informed decision to choose another property. i just didn't appreciate being strung along all day as if some accommodation was going to be made when all along Hilton grand knew it had no intention of attempting to make any effort at customer service were it not for my persistent follow up. This is not at all how I envisioned spending my birthday weekend.

Room Tip: Definitely ask for an oceanfront, not an ocean view room!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
5 Thank Ladymj13
rosslindsa, Owner at Hampton Inn & Suites Myrtle Beach/Oceanfront, responded to this review, July 21, 2013
Thank you for staying at our oceanfront Hampton Inn & Suites. I am so sorry that your birthday and our hotel did not live up to your expectations. However, your comments should be directed toward Hilton Grand Vacations, not our hotel staff at the Hampton. Hilton Grand Vacations booked your room, It was their manager who took hours to respond to you, not the manager of the Hampton. Next time, book your room through Hilton.com or Hampton.com, or call our hotel directly, and we will make sure that your accommodations exceed your expectations. That is the 100% Guarantee at all Hamptons!

Buddy Lindsay, Co-Owner

Boston, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

The only good thing I can say about this hotel is that it was on the beach. Rooms are small and cramped, had booked an "ocean view" room and I guess it was ocean view if someone held onto my ankles as I stretched out over the balcony. Rooms were dirty , never vacuumed,or restocked even though we complained about this. Breakfast buffet was just okay and like a free for all. Workers were not at all helpful or interested in interacting with they're guests. Hotels are so close together you can hear the conversations on the balcony at the hotel next door. Would never go back!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
8 Thank Deb M
Thank your for staying at our Hampton Inn & Suites on the oceanfront in Myrtle Beach. I am sorry that you thought that your room was small and cramped. We have one and two bedroom suites that are larger comparable Hampton rooms anywhere. Please book a suite next time. After Labor Day our rates drop considerably. You can get a much larger rooms for a much lower rate, and the beach the restaurants are not crowded. Please come again!

Buddy Lindsay Co-Owner
Cleveland, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

My family and I stayed at this hotel the week of July 4th. This hotel was everything I hoped and more. It's right on the beach, you walk onto your terrace and ocean is in front of you. We slept with the terrace door open (we were on a high floor) most nights to hear the waves. I highly recommend staying here!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Volsfanforlife
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

Glad the hotel expanded to two towers. Lobby is great. 2nd floor porch overlooking the ocean is awsome. Pools and lazy river are great. Steps to the beach. Room was decorated nicely. Plenty of room. Wish the hotel had 1 more elevator though. Great place for a family vacation.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Bigcat1974
Ga.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

We stayed from a Monday--Monday and had a great experience. Our room was oceanfront, we enjoyed the pool, hot-tub, lazy rivers, and beach. The facilities are beautiful and the staff friendly. This is our 2nd summer coming to this hotel and we weren't disappointed this year either. The breakfast is alright though not great.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

1 Thank bam322
Conway, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

Staying at this hotel or any Hampton for that matter is highly recommended by me and my family. The cleanliness and overall condition of the rooms will not be beat anywhere. We will definitely be staying at this hotel again when we visit the beach....

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

4 Thank Garth H
Corning, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

Facility is very nice, staff is helpful and friendly. Location is on the quiet end of Myrtle Beach and the beach wasn't crowded. Would definitely stay here again. We stayed at the facility for seven nights over the July 4th holiday.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family