“so-so hippo” 3 of 5 stars

Dining options: Late Night
Baltimore, Ohio
“so-so hippo”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

We arrived on "trivia night" loud & annoying tables around us with intoxicated patrons. Looking forward to lobster taco but lobster meat was way past it's prime-wasn't even asked how dinner was so I couldn't complain. Seemed dirty for a fairly new place. Really disappointed because I try to patronize non-chain restaurants- maybe will give it another try.

Visited October 2012

Virginia
“Repeat Performance”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

Simply put the food is excellent and service is good. Always seems to have great live music going on. Not much else to say, but well worth a visit.

Visited October 2012
Gallipolis, Ohio
“big, big, big servings of food.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

We went to this restaurant with 2 of our sons and their wives, and everyone loved it. They have really nice specials on drinks. We had, between us, a hippo salad, chicken tortilla soup(which was out of this world) a day after nacho,a macho nacho beef nacho's, & some kind of fire roasted chicken thing.. let me tell you.. you better ask about sharing.. the portions are huge, huge! And Good good! If you haven't been to this place, put it on your list.. service is great atmosphere is nice.. Its a must!

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Myrtle Beach
“Service improved on 2nd and 3rd visits”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

Ok, when I went back, I explained what happened. And they treated me better. The hostess told me that at my original visit, the server had worked a double. I told her, that must have made him a zombie, and obviously my service was not there. She recommended a few other servers. I had the Nachos on one visit, and tacos on another. On my third visit there, a female server remembered me, and by name. I even ask for servers by name. Bottom Line: Management and staff were very cordial when I gave them a second try. The loaded type Nachos are very tasty; their fire-roasted salsa is very good. I try to be fair in my reviews, so that is why I updated this one. As others mention, it is not authentic Mexican, but you can definitely find some tasty meal or snack choices on the menu.

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Chicago, IL
“Fun and delicious food!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

What a fun experience! Customize your nacho platter with a large variety of toppings or order lobster tacos, vegan tacos with fire roasted vegetables and hummus (also available on nachos ~ we got and fantastic!!) tuna tacos and so many more creative and delicious choices! They also offer salads, soups. fun quesadillas and many appetizers such as fried plantains with guacamole. Staff was friendly and helpful. The laid back atmosphere of a small open air bar on a beautiful MB evening made this a great find! We wish we could find a Nacho Hippo Cantina Maximo identical to this one in many other cities! We'd be there!!

• Visited September 2012