“The South Seas Hotel has drifted Away” 1 of 5 stars
Review of South Seas Oceanfront Family Resort

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Myrtle Beach
South Seas Oceanfront Family Resort
1007 S Ocean Blvd, Myrtle Beach, SC 29577   |
Ranked #4 of 7 Myrtle Beach B&B and Inns
Norton, Massachusetts
“The South Seas Hotel has drifted Away”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

Perhaps Dianne K stayed at a different hotel with a similar name, but I can assure you that the South Seas Hotel that I stayed at is a filthy disgrace and that is an understatement. Much of the facility is broaken down and the staff is overwhelmed. I suspect that this place is about to shut down, because I can't see how it can remain in business in its current state. There are many choices of hotels in Myrtle Beach. I suggest that you check out a hotel closely and visit the room before you book a stay. The hotel is in a good location with access to the beach and could be a great hotel if the ownership was willing to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars to modernize it.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

24 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Newnan, Georgia, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

My niece and I decided on a whim to go to Myrtle Beach. All the coupon books we had were useless, the rooms advertised did not exist, or it was a misprint and they are suing the publication. After 3 hours of walking to find a hotel with wifi and two beds we came to south seas, they had everything we needed including Ice cold air conditioning, both units in room worked awesome. right on the beach. The room was clean, no bed bugs, no roaches, clean sheets and pillows. The staff was very pleasant and accommodating. We had dishes, silverware and pots and pans. We enjoyed our stay, and will go back.

Room Tip: The corner suite, 351 was awesome, so full of light, and the cross breeze was awesome.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Galax, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2012

this place was a total wreck! nasty, the pool is out of order and looked like it had been used as a toilet. very unclean rooms, we actually found blood on our bed! the fold out sofa was full of dead bugs! the bath tub is plastic and sunk in where you stand. very poor staffing. i know "you get what you pay for" but no one deserves to stay in such conditions. i will NOT go back there!! i was so scared to even sleep (even with my own blankets on the bed) please dont take any children to this place!

Room Tip: look up sites on internet, dont jump for the cheapest!! pictures mean alot!!!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Orrville
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2012

My mom and I stayed here last June and it was awful. I booked the room because I had stayed here in the past and it was great, but I believe management has changed. I was going to Afghanistan, so I splurged and got an oceanfront 2 room suite. My mom and I are clean people; this place was not. Dead roaches in 1st room, so we asked for another. Had to carry kitchen items from 1st room to 2nd room. Blood on sheets and pillow in one bed. Management did rectify this quickly. Asked for additional towels, but was told we could only have one each per day. Furniture was dirty. Air conditioners didn't work well so mold grew on the carpet in several places. We went out and bought additional towels, washcloths, and towels for the kitchen. Bought flat twin sheets to cover the furniture so we could sit down. Hotel mgmt was absolutely horrible to an African American guy that was having similar problems (he was not being rude to them). Also had to buy can opener, kitchen utensils, toilet paper, etc. It's my understanding that when you get a room with a kitchen, it's so you can cook and save money. Never had a room with so little kitchen supplies. Hotel mgmt's son (about 10 years old) stayed out all night playing basketball in court in middle of rooms (very difficult to sleep). Sign on wall in office said "no refunds". When I go back to Myrtle Beach, I will book a room when I get there after seeing the room. Been having bad luck lately in MB with rooms.

Room Tip: Wait till you get to MB and request to see a room before you book. This way you can also see how hot...
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Lake View Terrace, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2011

went for a night with friends room was bare except for the beds of course. CARPET WAS FILTHY.Bed linen had something that resembled crumbs of some sort. No toilet paper.Pots and pans provided were well lets say Ive used better in a camp ground over an open flame.39.00 a night will definatly look elsewhere next time.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Ranlo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2011

We had a bad experience with Polynesian Beach Resort; therefore, we checked out before staying & came over to the South Seas Resort. We checked in, sprayed the beds for dust mites & left for dinner because July 11th was our 8th Anniversary....we returned about 10ish & came to our room, I was in the bathroom & saw a roach in the kitchen area....I called my husband to come & see if that was indeed what I was seeing...as he was killing that one I saw a baby roach in the tub....when he moved the shower curtain there was more of them in the tub....we Immediately loaded our stuff up to leave, my husband stopped in the office to let them know we needed a refund because the room had roaches and we were not going to spend $550+ to be there & could risk the chance of taking roaches home....the manager was obnoxious on the phone with my husband (because she was at the store with her children) & told him she'll be back on the property in 20 minutes....first thing out of her mouth was she'll refund us the money for the other days (we were scheduled to stay 7/11 -7/16); but, we wasn't getting anything back for the day we checked In...
I strongly suggest you overlook these two businesses if you need to stay for any reason in Myrtle Beach, SC...Both establishments have poor management!!

Room Tip: Do Not Stay Here
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Charlotte, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2011

From the point of view of a travel agent , this hotel was standard. I would not send any of my clients here without proper notification of the facility. We left late at night due to my companions' schedules. We arrived in Myrtle Beach around 3 am and this was the only hotel that had availability and had an open office for check in. The staff was trying to leave, the doors were locked but they opened back up for us to be able to check in. The front desk staff was nice considering the wee morning hours I spoke with them. We had a room with two queen beds, a kitchenette, and a "oceanview" balcony. Keeping in mind that oceanview can mean, oceanview or it can mean a small sight of the ocean. Basically this was a lean over the railing and break your neck to see the ocean, view. The room was clean; it was a smoking room so the sheets had cigarette burns on them. Being a smoker the smell in the room didn't bother me however, a non-smoker would have probably been offended. The front desk staff also smoked in the lobby. Now for the downside of things-- Our kitchen had about one of each dish, 1 fork, 1 plate, 1 small pot, etc. There weren't enough dishes to actually cook a meal much less eat a take out meal. I was disapointed in the kitchen. It had everything we would need except dishes. If staying here, I would recommend bringing plasticware and some cookware. We also only had one towel in the bathroom with 3 adults in the room. We requested more several times and they finally brought them the morning we left. We ended up going to a Wings Beach store and purchasing towels to shower with. The staff took the one towel we had so we did not have one single towel for 3 full days from the hotel. They were at maximum capacity so I can understand that they were short on things of that nature but understand we didn't have towels! All in all it was a good stay, there were some small repairs and adjustments that needed to be made but the staff overall was friendly, the room was clean, and it was right on the beach for a reasonable price. I would stay here again but it is definitely more for the budget-moderately priced travler. Definitely not a resort, does have a pool but it isn't heated.

Thanks for your kindness on such a busy weekend, all in all a great trip.

Room Tip: avoid sideview or oceanview. always go oceanfront.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends

Been to South Seas Oceanfront Family Resort? Share your experiences!