“nothing special” 2 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
King, North Carolina
“nothing special”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

The location is the only positive about this hotel.
The building needs a lot of cosmetic repairs. The decor in the rooms is a throw back to the 70s. Also, I'm not sure why there were kids sitting at the desk by the ice machine.

• Stayed December 2012
Dave R, General Manager at Palmetto Shores Oceanfront, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Thank you for your feedback on our property. We are an older property with a great location and friendly staff that we strive to keep clean and well maintainted. Some of our elements of our room are older but I assure you are not from the 70's. The carpeting and furniture is newer. The guest computer is near the ice machine so that may explain why you saw the kids sitting there. We appreciate your business and feedback. We take both seriously and we hope to se you again.

659 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
North Wilkesboro, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

Believe it or not exactly one year later my husband, cousin and his wife stayed at the same hotel in the very same room as we did in 2011. I was shocked to see we had the same room. You could tell there was some wear on the furniture and walls over the course of the year. This time the room was not in as good of condition as when I first reviewed it.

Our first problem was the sheets in the bedroom my husband and I slept in - we had to ask the front desk to send someone to change the sheets - it appeared that whomever had been in the room before left it looking as if the room had not been used -ergo housekeeping didn't change the sheets - yuck - hair and potato chips - I'm a lysol freak when I travel - and always spray the bedding as soon as I arrive.

Housekeeping arrived rather quickly and changed out the sheets - what I didn't know was the mattress cover was plastic and torn until almost bedtime. Fortunately the front desk provided me with some extra towels that I placed over the torn/missing part of the mattress cover to enable a better more comfortable sleep.

We also had to call maintenance twice during our stay - first for the remote control for the living room tv - the remote had to be completely changed - it was more than just the batteries. And then the lighting in the main bathroom was out.

We stayed during the time of the Tropical Storm Sandy so it rained most of our weekend. We noticed grounds keepers monitoring the pool area, but when we asked them for towels because there were no pool towels - it took a while to get them and even then there was only a handful brought with more people at the pool than pool towels available.

All in all this really wasn't a bad stay - it just was not as good as the first time and that's why I rated it average instead of very good. Granted they did repair all of our concerns in a timely manner - it just wasn't the standard we were expecting.

We also had purchased the stay that provided the breakfast each morning - what we didn't know - the breakfast buffet is only on weekends not during week days - therefore you get a discount off of your breakfast bill for week days. Their breakfast buffet is very good - substantial enough to fill you up to last for most of the day with biscuits, gravy, eggs - then the regular continential fair.

Would I stay here again - possibly. But I had to say that it would have to be in the Atlantica Condo section - not the other parts of the resort - for I have seen those rooms and they were not even up to par as the room we stayed in.

Room Tip: Be sure when you reserve your room if booking a condo room you get the Atlantica building
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dave R, General Manager at Palmetto Shores Oceanfront, responded to this review, December 20, 2012
Thank you for your feedback about our property. I apologize that the room was not up to standard and not as good as you had from your prior visit. We are working very hard each day to improve our property for our guests. We will be spending the winter doing deep cleaning and preventative maintenance to all of our units. Please underdstand that we take your feedback seriously and use it as a tool to improve.

Charlotte, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

Everything you read about the negatives of this hotel are correct. Our first room was very dirty.
There were things in the bathroom that should of been cleaned, like the toilet, there were hairs on the sheets and nothing was dusted. Asked for a new room. This room looked better but upon further inspection things were just not that clean but at this point all the rooms were probably dirty so we stayed put. The worst was when we were packing to leave and I picked up my slippers and they were absolutely filfity. I can't even imagine what we were walking on for two days! The elevators smelled and made all kinds of squeezing noises, in fact one was out of order the next day. When we left on the room we did not leave " clean this room" sign out because we didn't want anyone in the room, but they came in anyway. There also were no amminities, no Kleenex, no coffee, cream, sugar, only 1 shampoo and no lotion. Have never been to a hotel that didn't have these small conveniences.
The good things about this hotel was the staff was very friendly and helpful and the breakfast at the cafe was excellent, along with the service.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dave R, General Manager at Palmetto Shores Oceanfront, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
I am very sorry that you did not enjoy your expereince at Palmetto Shores. We do not provide many of the amenites you pointed out to keep our costs down and provide a better value to the guest. We are an older property with a friendly staff that works hard to keep the property clean and well maintained. We are also priced accordingly. However, your room should have had facial tissue, so I am sorry for that problem. As for the carpet we are in the process of cleaning all of them now and we plan to clean them more frequently in the future. Thank you also for giving credit to the service of our staff at the hotel and The Patio Again, please accept my apologies and understand that we take your feedback seriously.

Newton, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

We stayed here for the first time and were completely let down. The parking lot was ALWAYS full we always had to park ridiculously far away! Then the room was another disaster, the refrigerator barely worked, the shower had zero pressure, and on our last day a COCKROACH ran across our floor! Sadly that was not the worst of it I was in the room alone one day getting a shower and the hotel cleaning staff came in to the room, after I informed them I was in the shower and would like them to come back later the woman replied "I just need to get your towels then I'll be out" she then proceeded to reach in to the bathroom and grab what towels we had in there! I will NEVER go back!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dave R, General Manager at Palmetto Shores Oceanfront, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay at Palmetto Shores. To be fair parking is an issue at almost all Myrtle Beach hotels and we are not the exception. I am sorry about the housekeeping issue and we have done a great deal of work since August to improve our housekeeping service and quality. Thank you for your feedback and we will use it to improve our property for the better.

Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

Our experience started very well, Terry checked us in and answered all our questions. She was also very friendly and helped us enjoy Myrtle Beach by her suggestions. After that first encounter front desk was not very helpful. We were always waiting on room service. Maids spoke openly in the public areas about other maids taking tips. We had to ask for room service, although when the keeper came from another of their properties she was pleasant and very good. Upon leaving John at check out was quick to notice that I appeared not satisfied asked me what problems were encountered and offered us free breakfast for our problems.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Fayetteville, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

I would like to thank Chris Gerald and his staff at Palmetto shores for making my stay this past weekend most enjoyable. Me and a friend come down to MB almost every other weekend and have stayed not only Palmetto Shores but many other hotels. The thing that brings us back is Chris and the night time staff. I dont really know the day staff seeing how we are usually out and about during the day. But I am sure they are as helpful as the night staff. We will be returning to Palmetto shores in just afew weeks, it seems like home now and we dont see any reason to stay at any other Hotels. If ever in need Chris is there to help you out. Keep up the good work Chris. I have let family and friends know what a great hotel this is and they are all going to give it a shot. Gene White Fayetteville NC

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Dave R, General Manager at Palmetto Shores Oceanfront, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Thank you for your feedback. Chris works very hard to provide a great environment for our guests. He is always approachable and friendly and gets ours guests what they need. I can assure you the day staff does too. We appreciate you staying with us and hope to see you again soon.

Four Oaks, North Carolina, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

mold on the ceiling in our room, was told we could look at another room and when we opened the door there were people in the room, boy were they surprized! after a long wait we were finally directed to another room. the area around the evlevators stinks. customer service was lousy. we saw serveral other people complaining about their room as well.

Room Tip: don't go there!!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback. We are working room to room on the issues that you have addressed over the winter. I will acknowledge that we do need to show our rooms care over the offseason. As for checking into an occupied room, that is unacceptable and I am sorry that occured. Please understand that we are working hard to improve our product and service and I hope in the future you will give us another try.

Dave Rodham

Been to Palmetto Shores Oceanfront? Share your experiences!