My family and the family of my best friend checked in to the property on Sunday, April 8, 2012 at approximately 5:30p.m. Once we arrived to our rooms, we were immediately faced with several problems/inconveniences. These initial dilemmas included:
1. Lock on suite door broken.
2. Locks on doors leading to balcony broken.
3. Room keys not working.
4. Bathtub not cleaned and dirty linens in bathroom.
5. 4 bedroom "suite" did not meet the expectations that were explained prior to making reservation. (Set-up/layout).
6. Cable not working
We went to the front desk and addressed our concerns with the night manager, Jordan Starnes. Initially, the only option offered by Jordan to address our concerns was to refund our money to us and for us to find another place to stay. We advised him that we would rather have our problems remedied and to be refunded a portion of the cost of our stay for the inconvenience. He agreed to refund $68.87 (1/2 of the sales tax) and had maintenance and housekeeping come to our rooms to address the issues.
The maintenance technician Rivas came and inspected our rooms to see what repairs needed to be made. He said that he would "jimmy rig" the locks so that our kids (ages 3,5,6,7,9, and 12)could not get onto the balcony. At this point we felt that a manager needed to see the disrepair of the items and asked that Jordan come to the rooms to see the concerns that we had. It took over 2 hours for the concerns to addressed and remedied.
As our stay progressed, we were faced with numerous complications that made our stay at Palmetto Shores less than relaxed / suitable. The issues include, but aren’t limited to:
1. The wireless internet that I was told could be accessed from the lobby was not working properly. The wireless internet access was one of the amenities that I specifically inquired about prior to making my reservation. I am a full time student and knew that I would need to access the internet to complete and submit assignments during our stay. In addition to the inconvenience, my academic status was compromised because of this. Each time I went to the front desk about this issue, I was given a different and inaccurate response about why I could not access the internet. One evening I had to go to another hotel to use their wireless internet and submit an assignment.
2. The game room was closed.
3. Housekeeping came extremely late in the day, if at all. They exchanged linens upon request but did not make beds during our entire stay, although asked twice on the third day. When we asked that they vacuum we were told they did not have a vacuum cleaner and they swept a portion of one of the floors with a broom and swept the debris onto the balcony. Our bathrooms were unattended the entire stay as well.
4. The heaters in rooms made extremely loud noise. We were awaken throughout the night thinking that the noise was gunshots. We were forced to choose between being cold throughout the night or the inability to sleep because of the noise.
5. Our room keys had to be reprogrammed several times throughout our stay.
6. The elevator would not stop on the 5th floor the entire stay. In addition to the 6 small children traveling with us, I am 5 ½ months pregnant and had to take the elevator to the 6th floor and take stairs to the 5th floor with luggage and other items.
7. Upon check in we asked that the balance be split onto two cards. The balance that was supposed to be split onto two separate cards was all charged to one card as two separate transactions.
Whenever we called the front desk about an issue or made an inquiry they treated us as if we were bothering them or should just deal with the problems. The day before we finally checked out, we again went to the front desk and talked to the night manager, Jordan. He disregarded our concerns at which point I asked for the general managers name and contact info. I sent the GM a letter via email upon my return home to Ohio, he has yet to call us or reply to the email but had Jordan call my husband. At this point I am actually considering disputing the charges with my bank to get my money back. I will never return to this property again. They couldn't pay me to stay there.
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
May 17, 2012
Thank you for your time and your valuable feedback in regards to your recent stay at our Palmetto Shores resort. We strive to provide clean, comfortable rooms and friendly, helpful guest services at an affordable price. I am sorry that we fell short of your expectations. I hope that you will reconsider and come back to stay with us again. We will work diligently to make sure that your stay is a pleasant one.
Report response as inappropriate
This response is the subjective opinion of the management representative and not of TripAdvisor LLC.