“Great value. Right on the beach.” 4 of 5 stars

Sun N Sand Resort
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2701 S Ocean Blvd, Myrtle Beach, SC 29577   |
Ranked #107 of 215 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Piedmont, South Carolina, United States
“Great value. Right on the beach.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

We stayed the week before the 4th of July and after reading all of the reviews I have to say we were pleasantly surprised! We were expecting a dump. But we got there, our room was ready and clean. We had a wonderful balcony with an amazing view of the ocean. We stayed on the 7th floor and weren't bothered by any of the construction noises. We were told by another guest that some of the ice machines were down but the one we used was working. The beds were clean and comfortable. The only problem we had was with the elevators. Two of the 4 were slow if they worked at all. One was completely out of service but they only put a note in the lobby. And the parking garage elevator was soooo slow it was faster for us to take the stairs. Overall great stay and no problems with house keeping or any of the staff!

• Stayed June 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
  • Turkish first
Chesterfield, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

My family has not taken a big vacation in a few years so we decided to travel to Myrtle Beach. My mother booked this so called resort on line and the pictures/description looked pretty good. Upon arriving @ this resort we had to wait an hour and a half to get a room, and was told it was a housekeeping issue. After waiting in the Lobby w/ several other families for this length of time we were only more discouraged to get to the room on the 11th floor to discover we were given the wrong key cards. We again had to go back down to the front desk and wait a lengthy time to get new ones. Getting our luggage up to the room was another challenge..the parking garage is separate from the hotel we had to get in a separate cramped elevator to get to the floor we were parked on and carry our extensive amount of luggage back to the lobby w/ no luggage carriers to be found, and up another elevator that sounded as if if was tearing the walls down when we went up. Our room did not match the pics @ all..the beds were entirely too small for two average size people, the pluming leaked 24/7..the toilet constantly ran(unless you jiggled the handle for awhile),the water smelled like mold, the big viewing windows were filthy and moldy, and we could barely view the beach, they also leaked when it rained causing the floor beneath to get soaked and stay that way our entire stay.Housekeeping was nowhere to be found, when my father asked the front desk about it he was told they had until 5pm to clean the room. My father , having seen the cleaning cart, went looking for the ladies to @ least get clean towels and found them lounging in a room.(lying across a bed watching TV and another smoking on the balcony) On the 2nd day there all 4 elevators were out of service so, my family, including my asthmatic son, and older parents had to walk down 11 flights of stairs to get to the beach. This was a major safety issue for all of the guests. Even after working on them they all never seemed to work correctly...sounding as if gears were grinding on the way up or down. The parking deck elevator was constantly out of service which also meant people had to walk from the 1st level all the way up to what ever level they could manage to get a parking space on. We stayed in Lumberton,NC on our way back home and the Best Western put this shabby resort to shame!
Save yourself some aggravation stay somewhere else!

Room Tip: Read all the reviews carefully before booking your room!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Walterboro, South Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

I paid over $200 to stay here on Saturday after the 4th of July with my family. I would never stay here again and wouldn't recommend this hotel to any one. When we stayed here someone on my floor was smoking pot. I brought it to the attention of the front desk not once but twice ... And he did nothing. Called the myrtle beach police dept. you see my husband has an allergy to the thc that is in pot. The smell was so bad I had to take him to the emergency room. He couldn't breathe...... And the man at the front desk did nothing. So if you want a nice hotel that the whole family can enjoy, this isn't the hotel you want to stay at......... I promise you that!!!!!!!

• Stayed July 2013
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

First off, the parking garage is separate from the rooms. So you have to go down into the lobby and get on another elevator to get to your room. We were supposed to get a beach front room, but we were given "ocean view" instead. Our refrigerator was broken when we arrived to our room. The furniture was beat up and horrid. Our air conditioner had the carpet soaking wet all week. The elevators broke one day and a staff member told me that kids put sticks in them to hold the elevators to mess them up. That was not the case... apparently the rain messed them up? So the whole hotel had one elevator to use. I heard some guest had mold in their ice buckets and roaches everywhere in their room. The bartender was drunk at the hotel bar. The restaurant food and service was the absolute worse. There was throw up outside the door which was never completely cleaned so it smelled of vomit. You're lucky if you get room service everyday... We had to beg for clean towels. They changed the locks on all the doors on July 4th week. So there was banging and hammering mid day. The pools were nasty. The hot tub was made into a kiddie pool. How tacky. I could go on... I guess you get what you pay for. If you plan on staying here, Soren expect much.

• Stayed July 2013
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for a 3 night getaway. normally I'll stay at a big name resort like the hyatt Hilton so on. But we decided to stay here to get away. It is an average small hotel. No decor. Jail looking elevators. No fancy restaurants. Plain pool. The carpets downstairs were pretty dirty and wet but that's from people walking back and forth to the beach.

The hotel room was clean and smelled normal. The staff were friendly. The beach was clean and nice. This hotel is at the end of the strip so it was a very secluded stay. Nothing special but it wasn't as horrible as the others made it seem.

• Stayed August 2012
Guyton, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

Decided to surprise my wife and take here on a little vacation. We have stayed at many hotels on myrtle beach but do to it being 4th of July week we were very limited on our stay. I decided to stay at this resort and when we checked in two of the four elevators were out of service and the two that worked had graffiti all over the walls. Then we entered our room that smelt musty and the bathroom door did not shut and the hot water would not adjust from hot to cold so we had to take a shower in scalding hot water. Then the first two days we were their room services was no were to be found so I went to front desk because the room phone didn't work and they said they don't service the rooms until you go to the front desk and ask for it which is the first time I have ever herd of that. I am not a person to ask for a refund or complain but for the money I spent to stay their was ridiculous.

Room Tip: Read all the reviews
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
pttsburgh
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

sun n sands is your average hotel. we had a window ocean front view ,which was a really nice view. our room had two double beds and it says it can sleep up to 4 people but, I think the beds are way too small for two people! Everything was clean when we arrived. There was a little bit of a musty smell though. We did not get maid service for the week but, that is because we rented directly through the owner which was much cheaper than going through the actual hotel (half the cost). Overall it was a pretty decent hotel and can't complain with the price we paid and the great location we had!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Sun N Sand Resort? Share your experiences!