“Not recommended” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #110 of 217 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Guyton, Georgia
“Not recommended”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

Decided to surprise my wife and take here on a little vacation. We have stayed at many hotels on myrtle beach but do to it being 4th of July week we were very limited on our stay. I decided to stay at this resort and when we checked in two of the four elevators were out of service and the two that worked had graffiti all over the walls. Then we entered our room that smelt musty and the bathroom door did not shut and the hot water would not adjust from hot to cold so we had to take a shower in scalding hot water. Then the first two days we were their room services was no were to be found so I went to front desk because the room phone didn't work and they said they don't service the rooms until you go to the front desk and ask for it which is the first time I have ever herd of that. I am not a person to ask for a refund or complain but for the money I spent to stay their was ridiculous.

Room Tip: Read all the reviews
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
  • Turkish first
pttsburgh
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

sun n sands is your average hotel. we had a window ocean front view ,which was a really nice view. our room had two double beds and it says it can sleep up to 4 people but, I think the beds are way too small for two people! Everything was clean when we arrived. There was a little bit of a musty smell though. We did not get maid service for the week but, that is because we rented directly through the owner which was much cheaper than going through the actual hotel (half the cost). Overall it was a pretty decent hotel and can't complain with the price we paid and the great location we had!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Liberty, South Carolina, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

I have ony been here for 24 hours and I've had many problems arise. Starting at the front desk...the employee was extremely rude when she told me I would have to wait till 4pm to check in and it was 3:10 at the time. I tried to reason with her and she cut me off by saying, "mam! Check in is not till 4! When I finaly got in the room I noticed one of chairs was broken, the refrioater was the smallest they make and also broken. The hot tub did not work and mantnice said they don't turn it on in the summer because its too hot. I didn't know there was a season for hot tubs. Now I'm stitting outside my room waiting to get in because they changed the locks... Manager said sorry we're doing renovations. There was not warning for this change. Never stay here. my husband an I are looking for a room at the breakers!!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Myrtle Beach
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

We found the hotel clean, the restaurant was really good that is located within and reasonably priced. Rooms were small but nice. We had an oceanfront room and was awesome to sit out on the balcony. Its not a fancy hotel but was clean and right on the beach. The elevator is a little weary but we had a good stay.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

My stay was frm June 13-17th. Ok when we got there...we had to wait about an hr and a half to get our room...but we arrived an hr b4 check-in. I was excited to be on vacay so it didnt bother me much. We get to the room...it was cleaned but a bit dusty in some areas. Seemed like a rush job to get us in the room quicker bcuz housekeeping was in the room when we got there. Call management and our room was cleaned that day. Next day we called for new sheets...it took them all day but it was done. We stayed four days...housekeeping came all of them with fresh towels and toiletries. I did have to empty my own trash a couple time...there was only one small can the room. Room was great....clean and it looked like the pictures...very pleased!!! Oceanfront view....breathe taking. Elevators were quick in the building..parking elevator not so much but wasnt that bad. Hotel lobby was nice and clean, didnt eat at the restaurant but it looked decent. It was deserted most of the time. Karokee at the bar was nice which is done on Fri. and Sat. They have a gameroom which was open only on Sat. for some odd reason. The Pool and surrounding area was nice and clean but i prefer the beach. The staff was very friendly and helpful....and recommended great restaurants and directions. Damons Grill was excellent....we ate there twice....great barbque and their crabcakes and famous pecan sweet pototatoes are delicious and its walking distance frm the hotel, and you also must try Bonefish Grill which is way farther frm the resort but worth the trip. Try the Tilapia special with the garlic mash potatoes....excellent. Having a car did make the trip better since the hotel is far frm attractions. I really dont have any complients...im easygoing...i had a great 1st trip to MB and stay at the Sun and Sands.

• Stayed June 2013
Cosby, Tennessee
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

The place is a dump!!! The elevator was very dirty. They swept the elevator and just left it, in a big pile in the elevator (it looked like they were trying to sweep it down the elevator shaft). The room was very humid and felt sticky. The coffee maker was missing the basket where you put the coffee in. I called the front desk and they insisted that i was using it wrong. I asked for a different one, they told me housekeeping wouldn't be there until 9am. They said they would check with maintenance to see if they could bring one up. They said I could purchase coffee in the restaurant. They did send someone up that brought extra coffee (why would i need extra coffee, if the coffeemaker isn't working). So I tried explaining to him (but there was a language barrier) and he finally took my coffeemaker and said he bring a new one in 5 min. Never seen him again. So we left the room and went to the restaurant. Which took awhile for someone to wait on us. The restaurant had no A/C, they had a fan set up, but did not help. The Hotel also overcharged me, But they did fix the mistake. Worst stay ever!!!

Allen Park, Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

First the good stuff. On site restaurant, onsite club, 6 floor private parking structure. Staff constantly swabbing the floors from guests coming in from the pool. Indoor & outdoor pools & separate hot tub. Grounds very well kept.

Now for the rest...Stayed last week for a 6 day vacation. First 3 days were great, no problems. We stayed in a partial ocean view on the 15th floor. Room was spacious, bathroom very large. Everything clean & looked new. However, the 4th day we were woken up by renovations (hammering, electric saws, etc) before 8am taking place in the room directly above us. So much for sleeping in. I called down & was offered another room on the 6th floor. I was also told that renovations were only taking place on the 16th floor, but the were pulling carpet, etc right down the hall from us. I was a little put out that they didnt offer an upgrade for our trouble, but whatever. We were still having fun. After lugging all of our luggage & uprooting our small child we were put in a similar room, but not as nice with only partial renovations to the bathroom done & older linens. Still fine, we were there to experience the beach, not the room. We still heard reverberations from the renovations but was told that nothing could be done. When we settled in for the evening I tried to turn on a kids channel for my daughter & discovered that the tv only went up to channel 22 whereas we had 60+ channels in the last room. We called again & was told maintenance was on their way up. After waiting for about 45 min I called again... & again... & again. They never came. 2 hours after our first call we were finally told that something was wrong with that tv & that we were moving yet again. My husband went down & asked for an upgrade. We were given it, but the room had a funky smell from the fridge being broken & leaking all over the floor. Called on that after we discovered a towel in the bottom of it soaking up the excess water. The room was much smaller, the bathroom about 1/3 the size of our previous one & a crazy/drunk neighbor peeping around the wall dividing our rooms on the balcony when we opened the sliding door. The last 2 days the elevator to the parking garage was broken, but no notice posted. Had to walk 5 flights of stairs to retrieve our car every time we wanted to go out.

Staff is iffy. Either they were very friendly & helpful (hi April) or ignored you when you were standing in front of them to finish personal conversations. One girl looked like she rolled out of bed & came to work because her hair was standing on end. My little girl commented on it & she laughed saying she knew her hair was a mess.

The restaurant is inside the building, but not affiliated, so you need cash instead of charging anything to your room. The food is ok. The staff seemed bored & too casual with one kid running the register with his hat on sideways & his hand propped on his chin. No air in there, so the staff was sweaty. We ate there once. Had it had room charging, a more professional staff & some decent choices other than burgers & fries we would have eaten there much more often.

I had to adjust my dates due to a death in the family & was assisted, but paid an extra $20 per night for the trouble. I guess they had to make up for the lack of bookings.

I have to say, they have their no refund policy for a reason. I feel that the first few days & the last few days were 2 separate hotels. The first days were great, giving 4 out of 5 stars. The last 3 is 1 star. The staffs attitude had a lot to do with this. They just seemed like they genuinely didn't care if you were put out or not because they didn't have to answer to anyone. I'm from the Detroit area, & it's known for the rudeness of the locals. I didn't expect the same attitude while on vacation in the South.

I didnt expect a whole lot for $120 a night in a beach front hotel, but expected better than we received in the way of service. I would not stay there again, especially with all the walk in specials running up & down the grand strand.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel if service matters to you.