“Worst hotel in myrtle beach!” 1 of 5 stars

You added Sun N Sand Resort to your Saves list
Sun N Sand Resort
3.0 of 5 Condominium   |   2701 S Ocean Blvd, Myrtle Beach, SC 29577   |
Liberty, South Carolina, United States
“Worst hotel in myrtle beach!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

I have ony been here for 24 hours and I've had many problems arise. Starting at the front desk...the employee was extremely rude when she told me I would have to wait till 4pm to check in and it was 3:10 at the time. I tried to reason with her and she cut me off by saying, "mam! Check in is not till 4! When I finaly got in the room I noticed one of chairs was broken, the refrioater was the smallest they make and also broken. The hot tub did not work and mantnice said they don't turn it on in the summer because its too hot. I didn't know there was a season for hot tubs. Now I'm stitting outside my room waiting to get in because they changed the locks... Manager said sorry we're doing renovations. There was not warning for this change. Never stay here. my husband an I are looking for a room at the breakers!!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

355 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
  • Turkish first
Myrtle Beach
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

We found the hotel clean, the restaurant was really good that is located within and reasonably priced. Rooms were small but nice. We had an oceanfront room and was awesome to sit out on the balcony. Its not a fancy hotel but was clean and right on the beach. The elevator is a little weary but we had a good stay.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013 via mobile

My stay was frm June 13-17th. Ok when we got there...we had to wait about an hr and a half to get our room...but we arrived an hr b4 check-in. I was excited to be on vacay so it didnt bother me much. We get to the room...it was cleaned but a bit dusty in some areas. Seemed like a rush job to get us in the room quicker bcuz housekeeping was in the room when we got there. Call management and our room was cleaned that day. Next day we called for new sheets...it took them all day but it was done. We stayed four days...housekeeping came all of them with fresh towels and toiletries. I did have to empty my own trash a couple time...there was only one small can the room. Room was great....clean and it looked like the pictures...very pleased!!! Oceanfront view....breathe taking. Elevators were quick in the building..parking elevator not so much but wasnt that bad. Hotel lobby was nice and clean, didnt eat at the restaurant but it looked decent. It was deserted most of the time. Karokee at the bar was nice which is done on Fri. and Sat. They have a gameroom which was open only on Sat. for some odd reason. The Pool and surrounding area was nice and clean but i prefer the beach. The staff was very friendly and helpful....and recommended great restaurants and directions. Damons Grill was excellent....we ate there twice....great barbque and their crabcakes and famous pecan sweet pototatoes are delicious and its walking distance frm the hotel, and you also must try Bonefish Grill which is way farther frm the resort but worth the trip. Try the Tilapia special with the garlic mash potatoes....excellent. Having a car did make the trip better since the hotel is far frm attractions. I really dont have any complients...im easygoing...i had a great 1st trip to MB and stay at the Sun and Sands.

• Stayed June 2013
Cosby, Tennessee
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

The place is a dump!!! The elevator was very dirty. They swept the elevator and just left it, in a big pile in the elevator (it looked like they were trying to sweep it down the elevator shaft). The room was very humid and felt sticky. The coffee maker was missing the basket where you put the coffee in. I called the front desk and they insisted that i was using it wrong. I asked for a different one, they told me housekeeping wouldn't be there until 9am. They said they would check with maintenance to see if they could bring one up. They said I could purchase coffee in the restaurant. They did send someone up that brought extra coffee (why would i need extra coffee, if the coffeemaker isn't working). So I tried explaining to him (but there was a language barrier) and he finally took my coffeemaker and said he bring a new one in 5 min. Never seen him again. So we left the room and went to the restaurant. Which took awhile for someone to wait on us. The restaurant had no A/C, they had a fan set up, but did not help. The Hotel also overcharged me, But they did fix the mistake. Worst stay ever!!!

Allen Park, Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

First the good stuff. On site restaurant, onsite club, 6 floor private parking structure. Staff constantly swabbing the floors from guests coming in from the pool. Indoor & outdoor pools & separate hot tub. Grounds very well kept.

Now for the rest...Stayed last week for a 6 day vacation. First 3 days were great, no problems. We stayed in a partial ocean view on the 15th floor. Room was spacious, bathroom very large. Everything clean & looked new. However, the 4th day we were woken up by renovations (hammering, electric saws, etc) before 8am taking place in the room directly above us. So much for sleeping in. I called down & was offered another room on the 6th floor. I was also told that renovations were only taking place on the 16th floor, but the were pulling carpet, etc right down the hall from us. I was a little put out that they didnt offer an upgrade for our trouble, but whatever. We were still having fun. After lugging all of our luggage & uprooting our small child we were put in a similar room, but not as nice with only partial renovations to the bathroom done & older linens. Still fine, we were there to experience the beach, not the room. We still heard reverberations from the renovations but was told that nothing could be done. When we settled in for the evening I tried to turn on a kids channel for my daughter & discovered that the tv only went up to channel 22 whereas we had 60+ channels in the last room. We called again & was told maintenance was on their way up. After waiting for about 45 min I called again... & again... & again. They never came. 2 hours after our first call we were finally told that something was wrong with that tv & that we were moving yet again. My husband went down & asked for an upgrade. We were given it, but the room had a funky smell from the fridge being broken & leaking all over the floor. Called on that after we discovered a towel in the bottom of it soaking up the excess water. The room was much smaller, the bathroom about 1/3 the size of our previous one & a crazy/drunk neighbor peeping around the wall dividing our rooms on the balcony when we opened the sliding door. The last 2 days the elevator to the parking garage was broken, but no notice posted. Had to walk 5 flights of stairs to retrieve our car every time we wanted to go out.

Staff is iffy. Either they were very friendly & helpful (hi April) or ignored you when you were standing in front of them to finish personal conversations. One girl looked like she rolled out of bed & came to work because her hair was standing on end. My little girl commented on it & she laughed saying she knew her hair was a mess.

The restaurant is inside the building, but not affiliated, so you need cash instead of charging anything to your room. The food is ok. The staff seemed bored & too casual with one kid running the register with his hat on sideways & his hand propped on his chin. No air in there, so the staff was sweaty. We ate there once. Had it had room charging, a more professional staff & some decent choices other than burgers & fries we would have eaten there much more often.

I had to adjust my dates due to a death in the family & was assisted, but paid an extra $20 per night for the trouble. I guess they had to make up for the lack of bookings.

I have to say, they have their no refund policy for a reason. I feel that the first few days & the last few days were 2 separate hotels. The first days were great, giving 4 out of 5 stars. The last 3 is 1 star. The staffs attitude had a lot to do with this. They just seemed like they genuinely didn't care if you were put out or not because they didn't have to answer to anyone. I'm from the Detroit area, & it's known for the rudeness of the locals. I didn't expect the same attitude while on vacation in the South.

I didnt expect a whole lot for $120 a night in a beach front hotel, but expected better than we received in the way of service. I would not stay there again, especially with all the walk in specials running up & down the grand strand.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel if service matters to you.
Raleigh, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

This property was simply amazing!! and here's why: Myself and 2 other friends were having a weekend get away..we read the reviews online and were a little hesitant to stay but we decided to anyway..and GLAD WE DID!!!

We arrived around 8pm or so and at check in were were greeted by AMANDA at the front desk with a warming smile and friendly hello!! She is a great asset to your property!!!! Also upon check in she gave us great places to check out being that it was our first time being in Myrtle Beach and didn't know where to go besides on the beach!!! The lobby was beautiful and nicely maintained!!!

Check in was fat and simple!!! After checking we got to our room and it was not what we thought we had booked..so upon letting AMANDA know...she IMMEDIATELY changed our room without any question or hesitation and that was a major plus especially since we were trying to get to the beach before it got too dark!! KUDOS AMANDA!!

Our room was VERY, VERY, VERY CLEAN!!! There were more than enough towels and washcloths to accommodate 3 grown adults!!! Washsink, Tub/Shower, and toilet all were CLEAN and in VERY good condition!!! Beds were comfortable and room was nice and cool upon entering which was a plus also being it was hot out!!! The outdoor pool was clean and looked refreshing...the hot tub was clean but that indoor pool was amazing!!! Clean and nice warm water!!!!! Housekeeping came by and refreshed our towels and washcloths all before noon if not earlier!!! The entire staff was friendly, they smiled, and assisted with anything that was needed!!!

At checkout were were again greeted in a warm and friendly way but this time by AMANDA and BEVERLY who both were great!!! Checkout was fast and simple just like check in!!!!

What I will say is this: This property is NOWHERE near as bad as what these other reviews make it out to be!! Also one must realize this is a high traffic property just as all the others on the beach...so in time things will get worn down and need to be replaced at some point! I can say this because I am a HOTEL MANAGER myself and ive seen the worst and the best! You can't beat what you get for the price! IF YOU WANT 5 STAR RESORT AND ALL THE EXTRA STUFF...THEN I SUGGEST YOU STAY AT A 5 STAR RESORT AND PAY 5 STAR PRICES!!

THIS RESORT IS PERFECT FOR THE PRICE AND YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!!

My friends and I have already planned our next trip back to Myrtle Beach and WILL be staying at the SUN AND SAND RESORT!!!! We look forward to seeing Amanda and the rest of the staff when we return!!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

I was unfortunate enough to stay at Sun N Sands from June 8 through June 15.

This property use to be a Sheraton. I wrongly assumed that this place would be at least decent.

The only saving grace was that I rented directly from an owner of one of the units. The unit was absolutely wonderful, no detail forgotten.

I wish I could say the same for the rest of the property.

The lobby has been update, but there seems to be lack of or no ventilation in the restaurant. They keep the doors open and the smell of bacon and grease hits you like a hammer each time you enter the lobby.

The windows of the lobby have a greasy film as well from the grease.

The onsite restaurant /outdoor bar were good. The prices were reasonable. The wait staff was very friendly.

The pool area was awful for 4 of the 7 days I was there. The water was totally green. The water was ice cold. There were 12 working lounge chairs for a 16 floor property. There was an indoor pool that I didn’t even attempt to go to. There was a small pool or hot tub. I didn’t venture into that either as a lot of kids were hanging out in it for hours at a time or surely using it as a toilet.

There was very rarely clean towels at the pool area. I witnessed an employee take 4 dirty towels from the towel bin and then put 2 clean towels in the SAME bin.

The A/C units had PVC piping used to divert the condensation of the unit to the ground. There were so many leaks in the connections. When you were walking below, you would have to dodge the “rain drops” from the units or it would hit off the metal roof and sound like someone shooting a BB gun at metal.

I had to get new keys 3 different times during my stay.

When I first checked in, the keys didn’t work. I went back to the front desk and was issued keys that worked for 1 day.

The next day the key expired and I had to go back to the front desk for new keys. This time, the clerk made them for as many days as I was staying.

The 3rd time, the keys didn’t work; the desk clerk stated that there was a hotel wide issue with the keys and he would have someone let me in with a master key.

At NO time, did the front desk ask for the name on my room or identification. That is an absolute joke. You do not issue keys to anyone unless you get identification. They would have given keys to anyone that walked off the street to any of the rooms.

Since we did rent from an owner of one of the units, we were NOT supposed to get housekeeping services (which was totally fine).

Unfortunately, housekeeping tried entering the room 3 times during my stay that I know of.
Maintenance knocked on the door after midnight stating that I called down for a clogged toilet.
I didn’t answer the door quickly enough and they were trying to enter the room with their master key.

At no time, did I call for housekeeping or maintenance.

I should have known I was in for trouble when I saw a post on Sun N Sands Facebook Page that they were honoring graduates by reducing the check in age to 18 for the month of June.

The clientele of this property was already sketchy at best. This will for sure bring more problems to the property.

They hotel just installed 4 new elevators that work pretty nice.

One of the degenerate guests decided to personalize 2 of the 4 elevators by carving a 4 letter expletive inside the car with a knife. Classy guests.

The hotel does have potential to be a nice property. It will take time and money to get this place up to respectably. No one seems to be on the same page. I would see staff running around like a chicken with no head. It starts from the top, ownership down to the front line workers. If the owners are not committed, how do you expect the employees to be?

I would not advise anyone to stay at this hotel under any circumstances including a free stay.

Room Tip: Dont stay here! ! !
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Sun N Sand Resort? Share your experiences!