“eww is an understatment” 1 of 5 stars

Heron Pointe
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   223 Maison Drive, Myrtle Beach, SC 29572   |
Ranked #179 of 214 hotels in Myrtle Beach
Rocky Mount, Virginia
“eww is an understatment”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

We booked this mini vacation through Grand Stand Vacation and Rentals, assuming booking through a booking service they would have a standard on the places they rented we mistakenly didn't check trip advisor.

The place has a nice layout and is convenient to the beach, the only positives about the place. Walking through the door my sisters husband killed a giant roach. my first impression was that the place was nice, then I discovered how dirty it was.

The beds were not made...maybe that is what they do here to show that they are clean, but it was weird.

I kept seeing bugs, which I later figured out was roaches. In the kitchen, in the bathrooms, all over. We traveled out to the back porch, which has the potential to be nice, the small kids can play out there and not have to worry about them because its screened in. However, the back deck's carpet was covered in ashes and dirt. The places' excuse was that people are aloud to smoke on the back porch, well that is fine, but do WE (new tenants, who do not smoke) have to bask in their filth can we get it vacuumed or something??

Later that day we discovered the washer door wouldn't open and the garbage disposal was clogged. We called the place and their maintenance people came over fixed the disposal and they knew about the washer (and still rented the unit). The guy was nice and proceeded to tell my husband it was waiting on a part and showed him how to open it for now...with a butter knife.

The shower curtain in the bathroom is covered in mold and there was sand all over the bathroom floor...we have yet to visit the beach as it has been a very rainy weekend. Again, basking in someone else's mess. The toilet seat in one of the bathrooms was also broken and every time you used it you almost fell off.

One night I was up, nursing my infant, I went into the kitchen and there were roaches all over the counter I was so grossed out I had a hard time going back to sleep. I also was looking on the floor for my child's pacifier and I found a pill on the floor. A prescription medication that was not ours. We had a toddler with us who could have easily put this in his mouth. If the condo had been properly cleaned it would have been found and cleaned up. Under the couches is disgusting, also.

Our trash can was full and we took it out (found bugs all in the bottom) but there were no more trash bags in the unit so my brother in-law called the office and asked if we could get some, they told us to come get them....he asked if someone could bring them here because of the children and she said there was no one to bring them here. I don't think it is unreasonable to have someone there to bring something the units that it should be stocked with.

We would have left but it is peak season and no where would take us for two nights and we paid a good price for our rental.

In the end it was disgusting and we are far from pleased. We will defiantly not be coming back and really regret not checking trip advisor.

Room Tip: C8 is gross
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

7 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Pleasant Garden, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

Heron Pointe (Unit C02) was the worst vacation location I every took my family. This unit had a bug problem -- roaches and silver fish, to be exact. I requested a refund after our first night there, and the refund was refused. I was, however, offered the opportunity to move to another unit. A maintenance man took me to two other units to look at, and the first one he took me to had a huge roach in the doorway just was we walked in. The second unit appeared to be okay, so I packed up my whole family and moved to that unit. After a few hours in the new unit, I began to see roaches again!!! I contacted the management company again (Grand Strand Vacation Rentals), and they informed me that they would not refund my money even though I had gone through proper procedures to resolve the problem. I explained to them that I was uncomfortable keeping my young children in such an unclean unit and one with roaches. Finally, I moved my family to an entirely different location despite their refusal to refund my money. The only positive thing that I can say is that the management company did refund me for two days of my reservation. I will never return to this management company or this location again.

Room Tip: Do not rent Unit C01 or A02!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Saint Louis, Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

If you want clean, this is not the room for you. Unfortunately, everything was booked during the 4th of July week and for the number of people (6 total) in our party, this unit was the best price. Read past reviews about unit C02 about roaches and cleanliness, but wanted to remain skeptic, but every night we spent there they would crawl out onto the counters. Not to mention the silver fish and urine on the bathroom floors upon arrival.

This is a vacation rental on the ground floor which makes it convenient for a family with small children and easily accessible, but will heed the warnings next time about this type of rental. Overall, the location is close to beach (within a 5 minute walk, plus or minus 4) but the beds, sofas and chair are old and filthy. Bring a lot of cleaner if staying this unit. Fortunately, unit has a very nice laundry machine and we washed clothes, towels and sheets every day, but would recommend owner invest in some updated mattresses (at least) if they are going to continue to rent their unit.

Room Tip: Try to read or find consumer reviews of the rental before renting and make your own decision.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Cleveland, Tennessee, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

Totally enjoyed our stay at Heron Pointe. They do not permit trashy behavior and loud partying. Will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Upper Black Eddy, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2012

Heron Pointe is in a quiet, quaint section of Myrtle Beach. The condo complex it self is older, and up-keep varies by unit. The one we stay in is under new ownership, and they are continuously making upgrades. The beach is only a long block away. There is an outdoor and indoor pool, hot tub, and sauna. This condo complex is within walking distance to Finn McCool's (restaurant and pub), The River City Cafe (Great burgers), the Apache Pier (fantastic fishing) , and Ocean Annie's Beach Bar (cold beverages). I would recommend having/ renting a car to get around. There are plenty of activities (and shopping) a short drive away!

This is a very family friendly atmosphere, and in the evenings there are always fireworks to watch at the beach (even if they are being set off illegally). **It is not like a resort where they would offer on-site bar service and restaurants- it is up to you to go out and explore :-)

Room Tip: Each individual owner is in charge of the interior up-keep to their unit- Make you you do your resea...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Youngstown, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2011

we stayed here the first week in August, too bad for us we were on the first floor condo and the party (every night) was on the second floor, the walls are very poorly soundproofed, 10 to 15 people every night from 2am to 5 am, called the owner and management company and all they would say is call police, great suggestion for your out of town vacationers, spend vacation filing police reports.
Good thing we could catch some winks at the beach in the day.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2009

Nice location very spacious condo. Kids loved the balcony area. The owner could stand to do some upgrades. Stove was not cleaned and did not work properly. Carpet was very stained Bathroom smelled like urine. We had to remove the shower curtain wash it and clean the bathroom before letting our kids use it. Sliding glass doors were very dirty along with the floor of balcony full of sand. I also found a big amount hair stuck to the wall of the master bathroom. The owners should probably change cleaning services. The pools were very nice and the grounds were very maintained. We would love to stay at Heron Pointe again just not this unit.

Been to Heron Pointe? Share your experiences!