“Travesty” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #19 of 214 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Virginia
“Travesty”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2006

For starters, after advising the clerk that I was driving a conversion van and asked specifically about garage height clearance, I was directed to a parking lot that would not accommodate my vehicle. Unsure of what else to do, I parked in a reserved space and walked the block back to the desk only to be informed that I could not park there and was vaguely directed, with tone and attitude to an uncovered gravel parking lot yet another block away! This made the transition very much a burden and extrememly inconvenient. After returning from my marathon walk, I had not previously noticed that the entrance to the building was on an eight step platform which meant there was no unloading luggage and belongings directly onto a cart without a 25 ft trip up and down eight stairs. Just around the corner awaited 2 elevators which may or may not work at any given time. (It gets better!)
After asking for and paying for a smoking room we noticed no ashtray. When we inquired, we were informed that smoking was only allowed on the balcony! (It gets even better!)
When we entered the room, there was no evidence of water dripping, but as soon as any of the faucets were used, they continued an annoying drip throughout our stay! I won't even comment on the television remote, which had a mind of its own. No extra pillows for the bed, the towels were rough and old. After returning to the room our first evening, we were surprised to see that we had received no maid service.(Oh wait!)
The air conditioning system reminded me of my grandmother's old refrigerator. It was an unyielding whistle/roar through which no-one could possibly sleep! Thank God!, An inept maintenance man was sent to our rescue! His assessment was that it was unfixable....and he elaborated that some of the older units were currently being replaced, but that they just hadn't gotten around to this one yet!! Upon our departure, we pleaded our case with the manager on duty, her reply was simply "sorry." At $200 per night I expected a little more! Never again!!!!! BEWARE!

• Liked — Leaving
  • Disliked — Everything else
  • Tips/Secrets — Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (600)
Atlanta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2006

The room was a bit cramped for four people and the A/C leaked onto one of the beds, but the location of this hotel on the beach was amazing! There are about five pools open to guests of any of the three Breakers towers and the kids loved the Lazy River and Pirate Pool. I got a great 50% off deal and for the price I got it was amazing!!! I will definitely stay here again and would definitely recommend this hotel(at the discounted rates).

Stayed June 2006
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2006

stayed for five nights and loved every minute of it. family of four with kids 4 and 8. well thought out activities and games for the kids on the property. security was visible at all times (very comforting). the hotel staff was working at all times to make sure things were clean and working properly. will definitely go back for the fourth time next year.

Oakland, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2006

We live in California and travelled to the Breakers not once, but twice. I never knew the beach could be so relaxing and the water so warm. The ocean front rooms are fabulous for evening cocktails on the terrace. The rooms are clean and up to date. The pools are great, and the lazy river is one of my favorite things in the world. Not much I can think of that bothered me in the slightest about this place. Our whole family loves it. I guess there is alot to do in Myrtle Beach but in a week we found no reason to leave more than twice; it was that fun. If you can go in Sept the rates drop pretty dynamically.

• Stayed September 2004
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2006

My boyfriend and I stayed at The Breaker's from June 7-12, 2006. We got a very good deal through[-----------]for $78 a night Wed., Thurs., and Sun., and Sat. and Sun. were $118. Very reasonable for June at the beach.

Our room reflected those reasonable rates however. After checking in (pretty quick with not much of a wait) we were told that our room was just up the stairs of the registration bulding where we were at - although there wasn't an elevator in this building so we had to lug our suitcases upstairs ourselves.

Our room was pretty run down looking but served its purpose as we weren't in the room that much except to sleep. It consisted of two double beds, a nightstand, round table and two chairs, large mini fridge, small (old) TV, microwave, small bathroom with a toilet and shower with the sink outside by the open closet. I think at one time there was a room safe but all that remained was a large hole in the wall. The balcony had two worn looking green plastic chairs and faced the (much larger)other Breakers tower. A coffee pot and one coffee cup were also provided.

For the price, we didn't expect much and the quality was that of an Econo Lodge in my opinion. I didn't mind the shabby accomodations, but I think had we paid more for a nicer room I would have been disappointed with the ammenities the Breakers offered. The pools were decent but never very clean and always filled with children. This hotel is very nice for families with children, but don't expect a romantic couples place. Most lounge chairs by the pool were always full - so get there early if you want one. We always just went to the beach first and then for a quick dip in the pool. The beach is crowded but there was always plenty of sand for everyone.

The gym was disappointing and consisted of two treadmills and two worn bikes. There was a set of pulley weights and an incline bench for situps. No TV or radio are provided. It seems like this room is mainly used for the storage closet inside as a few times I was excercising a staff member would come in and spead supplies everywhere. One time I went to use the bike for a quick workout and the entire room was filled with pool toys. I guess most guests don't use the gym but for someone who likes to regularly this was a problem.

There was no internet service at the hotel, nor was room service offered. There was also no "do not disturb" sign - very annoying to be woken up early everyday and have to shout "we're fine!" to the housekeeping staff. They only give you one chance to clean your room - although I'm not sure if it was just for our cheap room or if having a room in one of the other buildings was different.

The Breakers location (at 21st Street) is pretty close to many restaurants and attractions. Right next door is Bummz Beach Bar and Grill. Just a short walk to Kings Highway are pancake places, miniature golf and other restaurants. Pizza shops deliver almost 24 hours a day - check the phonebook or the fliers that will be slipped under your door. Broadway at the Beach is only a mile away, and although a kind of far walk, a taxi is another option at only about $7 one way.

Papas Restaurant is right across the street (didn't eat here) along with an icecream shop (tasty icecream and a pizza shop next door). Parking is free in the garage across the street. When we decided to rent a car three days into our vacation there was no problem - they just gave us a parking pass.

All in all, we can't complain about our accomodations at the Breakers. You get what you pay for. The hotel overall could definitely use some renovations, especially the rooms in the tiny building we were staying in. For families this is a great place to stay since it offers many activities for children during the day (crafts, contests, music, etc). Although not romantic, it's a good place to stay if you can get a good deal.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2006

We just got back from a stay in the smaller building of the Breaker's resort properties. There were several small problems with the room that all added up to a disappointing stay. The carpet was filthy and damp from a leaky air conditioner vent. The thermostat was broken and above it was a switch that simply said 'on/off' so it was either stuffy or freezing. The lamps next to the beds were broken, so the only lighting was overhead. The lights in the bathroom required about five minutes to warm up and come on completely. One of the two elevators was broken the whole stay. The TV was small and the sound was bad. The room faced the hotel next door and our ocean view was a small opening between the two buildings if you leaned over the rail to see it. When we booked the room, we were told it came with a complimentary breakfast. When I called the front desk the first morning to see where it was served, the operator laughed and said 'we don't have a complimentary breakfast'. After calling the manager and spending ten minutes on the phone, she finally arranged for us to have breakfast in the restaurant across the street. I probably would not stay here again.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2006

The resort hotel is a little run down the rooms need remodled and if your looking for a quiet getaway this is not the place. It's more for kids. The north tower on 27th ave. was very nice and very peaceful you do have acess to all pools and beaches which is nice i got married in front of the resort hotel and the wedding coordinator for the breakers was not even present the day of the wedding we tried to get in touch with her when we got down there and it took 2 days for her to return our call my arch fell and my groom and father were out at 45 min before the wedding trying to secure it we had dinner at papa's after the wedding and the service in the kitchen was awful (the waiters were great) but the manager didn't even make an appearance to apologize for the service the waiter's did they served the groom 1 1/2 hrs after me(the bride) all the food was wrong and all steaks were undercooked most of the meals were cold. and i turned in all meals down to how steaks were to be cooked and dressing on salads earlier in the day they did give us some comps and gifts to repay us but they shouldn't have had to do anything this is my wedding and everything should have been perfect the new manager was very nice and said he was going to make some changes overall the stay was ok but the wedding was pretty much destroyed at the reception The comped the food and gave us a free week for our anniversary so i can laugh about it now but it wasn't funny at the time i just want to say thank god there is new management in that place and he seems to be trying to turn things around GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR STAY!!

• Stayed June 2005

Been to The Breakers Resort? Share your experiences!