“Horrible Experience - no satisfaction” 1 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
25% Off Savings
Ranked #21 of 214 hotels in Myrtle Beach
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Horrible Experience - no satisfaction”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

I recently travelled to Myrtle Beach, SC. I was travelling in March for an organized function which included thousands of travellers. I booked my reservation in September for travel the following March. I have never stayed at the Breakers but had heard good things. Well there was absolutely nothing good about the Breakers. We called in advance to make sure our room was ready and that the bedding was correct and according to them it was. When we arrived and were given our room we discovered that our supposed "resort" was nothing more than a cheap motel that had to have been the oldest and most disgusting place I have ever stayed. The building must be 40 or 50 years old and is painted green cement (like a basemenet) the elevator made a loud scraping sound as it crept to the 5th floor where we were placed. The room when I entered smelled like a skunk...literally a skunk! I called to the front desk to complain and they said there was nothing we could do. We could leave and they would refund us but there was nothing else they could do. Obviously..because we were staying an extremely busy weekend..we were screwed. I asked for another room (none available), I asked for a reduction in the rate ..I paid $131.00 per night or any other concession. No dice said Larry the night Manager..the only other thing they offered was to bring an ozone machine to the room to improve the smell but we would have to leave! (it was 11:30pm and we had a 6:30am event) A few minutes after we ended the call. I attempted to turn the TV on and when I did the power went out to the rest of the room. You can imagine our displeasure. To make a long story shorter..we had a horrible rainy and very windy weekend and we were stuck in this disgusting place. Ironically when the wind blew the air blew threw the cracks in the door and blew our curtains out like a windsail. Whatever you do don't stay at the breakers they truly do not care about their customers.

Room Tip: Just don't you could end up just like us and stuck in a miserable place.

1,763 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (473)
Gainesville, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013 via mobile

We chose to reserve a two room suite because we travelled to SC for a cheer competition. We were booked at the North Boutique and the room worked out well. We were disappointed because the inside, heated pool is located at another Breakers property and we had to drive to get to it. It rained fairly hard during our stay and our sliding glass doors in our living area leaked horribly. We had a fantastic view of the beach in our room and it was nice to be able to awaken to the beautiful scenery. The free continental breakfast was a nice touch and perfect since we were on a tight. Schedule. I would recommend the Breakers resorts but do your homework and figure out which property has the amenities that you need.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013 via mobile

We go to Myrtle Beach about 5 times a year and the Breakers is the only place we stay. Its centeraly located for everything we like to do.The staff is very helpful and have an answer for every question I have ever asked. We have never had a bad experience at the Breakers.Rooms are clean and nicely furnished.

• Stayed March 2013
Manager2006, Guest Relations Manager at The Breakers Resort, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
Thank you for your review and your continued choice in choosing The Breakers Resort as your destination hotel in Myrtle Beach!
Port Perry, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

Our family has stayed at this hotel for 2 years in a row now. We are from Canada and we stayed during our March Break. The drive to South Carolina from the GTA is about 16-17 hours. The staff at this hotel are all very professional and helpful. Aaron at the front desk was extra helpful at finding us an appropriate room when we had issues with our booking. The lazy river, pools and hot tubs are a lot of fun for younger children and parents. Be sure to take note of which building you are booked in as The Breakers have quite a few buildings along the strip as well as the North Tower up a few blocks and the larger pool complex is in the furthest building to the south.The Paradise Tower is best for families and you won't be disappointed with the views from the ocean front rooms in the upper floors of this tower.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
We are happy to hear that The Breakers has been your hotel choice for the past two years. Thank you for taking the time to write a review. It is great to hear that about our staff as we work hard to ensure all guests are treated with great hospitality and any issues that may arise are taken care in a professional manner. We look forward to seeing you again.
Spring Lake, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

Checked into the Hotel March 21, 2013 and to my surprise despite being told by their offsite 800 service all amenties (bar,indoor pool, lazy river, and resturant) were all within hotel this is not true. Breakers have several properties and we were sent off six blocks away to the north tower. Before departing I ask the short tempered young male co-working the desk whether the hotels were the same and said "Both hotels are identical." If you were guessing where this story is going, you're correct if you guessed down the drain. Check into North Tower: no indoor pool, no lazy river, no resturant, and no bar. So we had to hoof it six blocks in pouring rain for three days to enjoy any of the amenties. No shuttle provided. Friday, a self protrayed manager hears our tale at the main hotel parrot club bar. Tells us he'll work on fixing the problem and listening to 800 reservation tapes of our booking and perhaps get us some complimentatary greens fees provided we pay for cart or get us room changes. Sounded like a reasonable offer. But phase two of the ruse just took place as we never saw him again or heard from him until we were drying off in the lobby and he walked in only to do a military style about face when he saw us and did an "irish exit." Despite have mulitple rooms and being checked in a day or two before the hundreds of cheerleading families arrived we were provided one concession for being a vicitm of the hotel bait and switch..We we allowed an extra hour for check out for an additional $16 and change.

Room Tip: Make sure you get email confirmation that your in the main building unless you dont care about ameni...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Faison, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

My husband and I always celebrate our anniversary each year Myrtle Beach. This year I chose Breakers Resort to stay in and when I got there I realize we had stayed there when our boys were younger. Everything was nice. Parking wasn't as bad as it sounded. We always parked across the street with no problems. What I am most impressed with is the fact that I had left my timberlands in the room when I left on Sunday. Did not think about it until Thursday and I called them immediately. Af first I thought it was too late and they are probably gone but they referred me to lost and found person and told me to call back in the morning. And I called back and she took all of my informantion and said she would call me back. And she did and they sent them to me. For that I give Breakers a A. Thank you Breakers Staff

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Manager2006, Guest Relations Manager at The Breakers Resort, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
First off, we hope you had a great anniversary! We are pleased to hear that you received your shoes back. We hope you will decide to return to the Breakers the next time you return to Myrtle Beach!
Washington, DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

Our family had a great time at The Breakers. We booked a 2-bedroom oceanfront suite in the Paradise Tower. We requested a high floor for better views, and ended up on the 19th floor in an end unit. It was great to not only have nice ocean views from our balcony, but also ocean and city views from the side of our living room through the floor-to-ceiling windows. We could even see the sunset out the side windows.
The room was very clean and comfortable. The living room/dining area was spacious, the full kitchen had most of what we needed as far as cookware and tableware, and the beds were comfortable. As it was off-season, it was a bit chilly, so our toddler really enjoyed the indoor pool area. We liked that it wasn't just one pool, but several pools, hot tubs, and a lazy river, all indoors, so we could enjoy no matter what the weather. The pool area was well-maintained, with staff constantly around picking up and refilling the towels.
Service was friendly and helpful. Parking is convenient in a garage right across the street. The location was very good, across from a Starbucks and Ben and Jerry's and walking distance to a lot of places. Prices were very reasonable, as it was off-season.
We would definitely return if we were in Myrtle Beach again.

Room Tip: We loved the Paradise Tower. It's convenient to the indoor pool complex.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your review. We are pleased to hear that you and your family enjoyed yourselves. If you get to return to the beach, we hope it'll be warmer and you can take advantage of all our outdoor amenities.

Been to The Breakers Resort? Share your experiences!