“21 Years Strong” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #19 of 214 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Archers Lodge, NC
“21 Years Strong”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

Our golf group has been staying at the Breakers for the past 21 years. During that time, we have stayed in all their buildings and can say that for the price it is the best place to stay. We have always received tremendous service and look forward to our stay. Gloria Hums (Golf Director) has made the reservation process and choice of golf courses as easy as possible despite our yearly changes in number of group members (ranges from 12-24) and the last minute changes that always seem to happen. Thank you for making our trip so nice each year!

Room Tip: We prefer the rooms with the pulldown beds in the back room to allow the room mates their own rooms...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
BreakersGuestServ, Guest Relations Manager at The Breakers Resort, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
What great and appreciated comments from you! Gloria, our Golf Director, really is the best and we all enjoy having you and your group staying with us! Looking forward to your 22nd year and many more!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (600)
Greensboro, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

Background-When my husband and I got married in December 2003, we came to Myrtle beach for our honeymoon. The hotel we chose first had horrible rooms and not much by way of decent indoor pools, etc. So we rode down Ocean Avenue and found The Breakers. He remembered he stayed there when he was much much younger, so we went in and got a room. They gave us a sweet deal because it was our honeymoon, complete with a gift certificate for a free dinner at Papa's :)

So, this is where we go when we vacation in Myrtle Beach every time, we just aren't satisfied when we see anything else. We went in August for our 3 year old's birthday, and after that we decided to take advantage of the good fall rates and spend Thanksgiving there as well in the Paradise Tower. We were thoroughly pleased with everything. We ate at the breakfast buffet twice, and the food is always good and my daughter loves the fresh waffles. In the evenings, it was very convenient for one of us to just walk down to the bar for a nightcap to bring back to the room. The room was very clean, beautiful view of the beach, and the staff was extremely friendly and helpful.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
BreakersGuestServ, Public Relations Manager at The Breakers Resort, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
What a great story and Thank You for sharing it with other travelers and us! The entire staff really enjoys hearing about our guests visits and are so happy to be able to help in any way...
Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

I am the group leader for a group of golfers that have stayed at The Breakers for 24 years. We visit the week after Thanksgiving and play 27 holes per day. Gloria Hums (the Golf Director) has arranged our accomodations and Tee times for many years. We have never had any slip ups or problems with the rooms or the courses. She is truly a pro and has become a good friend. I highly recommend contacting her especially if you have to make arraingements for many other people. The hotel is located in a prime area and is convenient to the highways.

Tom S.

Room Tip: Ocean front views are great
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Thanks, Tom, for providing such great informatiom about you and your golf groups experiences at our resort! I agree that you are working with the best Golf Director in Myrtle Beach - Gloria really knows all the ins and outs when it comes to planning golf... we really look forward to seeing you and your group again soon - 18 years and counting -THANKS!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

What a wonderful family trip!! the rooms are quite comfortable and the staff is wonderful, very attentive. The desk staff adressed my every need swiftly and curteously. Had been looking for a place to just relax with the family and this is definitely the place. Will definitely be returning next year and hope to bring more family for our reunion!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Thank you, Susan, for your kind comments... We are very proud of our staff and they try very hard to help all of our guests have a great vacation experience... We look forward to seeing you again!
Manassas, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

I will start off by saying the location of the Breakers Paradise Tower is excellent as well as the pool amenities. We have frequently stayed here over the past several years. We decided to try again over the Thanksgiving Break. I was very disappointed in the room and the loading and unloading area. We stayed in room 1670. It was the three bedrooms (1 King, 4 Queens). Upon entering the room, the floors were sticky. My shoes were sticking to the floor. The floors were sticky in the entire hallway and kitchen area. My first thoughts were this isn’t good. Both bathtubs had hair in it and on the floors and in the master on the sink. The yellow chairs in the living room area were filthy. We put a blanket from one of the closets over it before we sat in it. The refrigerator was white, the handles were black. Luckily I bring Clorox wipes with me. My husband wiped the refrigerator and freezer handles. The dryer had lint and hair in it. The bathroom shower curtains had pink mildew on them at the bottom. The loading and unloading area had cars parked the entire time we were there. This creates a problem when you are checking in and out. You can end up being trapped behind another car waiting for them load or unload and there are handy cap parking spaces in that area as well. This can be a problem for them backing out of the spaces and possibly backing into one of those cars due to the space being so cramped. I mentioned to the person behind the desk as I was checking out that this was a problem and management used to ask the guests to park in the parking garage directly located across the street except for the handy cap. The desk clerk said no one is supposed to park there I will call security. I said it’s a little late for that these cars have been there for three days. Bottom line, the area that you unload and load your vehicle is tight quarters and always crowded and can be very aggravating and annoying.
The first morning that we were there, the maid knocked on the door. My husband had just gotten out of the shower and I was getting ready to take one. I was in my pajamas. I answered the door. She said room service; I asked her if she could come back later. Two of our sons were still sleeping. Apparently she didn’t understand me because I turned around and started walking down the hallway and she was behind me with a bucket. I turned around and she said trash. I said okay get the trash and then come back. After she got the trash she went into the master bathroom and grabbed the towel that my husband had just used. It appeared that she wasn’t going to depart any time soon. My husband tried to talk to her. She finally got the hint. She came back forty five minutes later. At that point in time we just let her clean the room. Later that afternoon, I was on the balcony and heard a dog barking. The Breakers has a no pet policy. I looked down below and there was a Yorkie on the balcony just below us. Someone below us was trying to keep the dog quiet. Then I heard get him in here. I tried to call the lobby but I kept getting a message the person you are trying to reach is on the phone. I then decided to take a walk. The person at the desk said no pets. Then a man came from the office and said service dogs are allowed. I said I have a Labrador and they are normally service dogs not a Yorkie. The man said he would check to see if it was one of the owners. The female that was at the front desk was looking on her computer shaking her head no while the man that came from the office standing behind her said oh it’s probably the owner. Basically they just gave me an answer and blew me off. At least that was my impression.
My overall opinion, I was disappointed in the filthy room, I the loading and unloading area has gotten out of hand and is not controlled by the staff. The location is great however, there are plenty of other places to stay in the grand strand area therefore, I will not be returning to the Breakers.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
I am very sorry to hear that we did not deliver the level of service that certainly should have... Your comments have been shared with our management staff and we will do our best to stress these improvement in these important areas. Thank You for bringing this to my attention...
Tornado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

Breakers has been my favorite hotel for many years. I was coming alone here to write my novels in a peaceful environment. I was bringing my kids here for vacation. I met my husband and we spent our honeymoon here. Now, we are coming every year... because you are just the best.
My only complaint is the loud music in the breakfast room. Both at Papa's and at the North Tower the guests are forced to listen to radio stations that match the discos rather than a relaxing time we all are looking for in coming to the beach. Two years ago, when at Papa's the reception was kept by an older lady, the music was quiet, fine, deep in the background, therefore pleasing the visitors. When the old lady left, a young one took over changing the radio station and the volume. After severel times suffering with the noise we changed the breakfast restaurant. This year we have the same situation at the breakfast room at the North Tower. Both yesterday and today young men are handling the music. And it is loud and aggressive.
The guests I saw in the breakfast room are approximately between 50 and 85. Who - do you think - gets pleased by the disco music for breakfast?
You do not have to be a brain expert to know that a music taste varies from person to person like the food. It is not beneficial for Breakers business to force the guests to consume neither the food nor the music that they might not like.
Another thing, the hotel staff probably should have learned in the management school, is that one of the factors that distinguish a fine restaurant from the "less fine" is the volume and type of music. In a high class restaurant the music is soft and almost not to hear. You can improve the impression of a restaurant if you put the music in the back ground where it belongs.
I hope that the management of my favorite hotel will consider my review seriously for the benefit of both the hotel and the guests.
Mrs. Krys Pence

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing so much information to other travelers! We truly appreciate your staying with us. We addressed the breakfast music issue promptly and hope everything is going great...
Charleston, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

We stayed this weekend 11/17/12 to 11/19/12 at the Breakers North Tower room 953 and had a wonderful time. The staff is courteous and accommodating. The property is clean and kept up. The rates were very reasonable. We only had an outdoor pool and hot tub on this property but a few blocks down at he original Breakers we had privileges to use the indoor pool. Parking is not an issue and right across the street. We would definitely recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: 953 was our room and it was an oceanfront queen with kitchen and living room two queen beds and the...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Been to The Breakers Resort? Share your experiences!