“Great Summer Fun” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Embassy Suites Myrtle Beach-Oceanfront Resort

Save Saved
You added Embassy Suites Myrtle Beach-Oceanfront Resort to your Saves list
Embassy Suites Myrtle Beach-Oceanfront Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   9800 Queensway Boulevard, Myrtle Beach, SC 29572 (Formerly Embassy Suites Myrtle Beach at Kingston Plantation)   |
Hotel deals
Special Rate
$199 Suites in August
Ranked #20 of 214 hotels in Myrtle Beach
Seattle, United States
“Great Summer Fun”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

Have stayed at this property several times in the past and this visit, like the rest, was wonderful. The villas offer a great value and comfortable stay for our family. Highly recommend and will definitely visit again.

730 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
Howell, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

This was our third time staying there and we were disappointed this time. We were on the 3rd floor with a view of the condo's you can rent and the air conditioning vents. This is the second time we had to pay each day to park which is very frustrating. The sink was broken and the toilet looked and sounded like it would overflow each time we flushed. One day one of our towels had a huge hole in it. Another day the towels and washcloths were not neatly folded and just thrown there (not a huge deal but for the price they charge per night!) The beds were only full size and quite uncomfortable. I would have loved a drink by the pool but at $10.75 a drink I passed on that! The kids meals used to come in a cute sand bucket at the snack bar but that was done away with. The lobby renovation was nice but I didn't really like the breakfast. The line for the omelet station was always quite long (even thought we were there in the "yellow" time frame) and the buffet items were just ok. The pastry section and cereal selection was minimal and we missed the waffles they used to have. We didn't go to the pool much because it was wall to wall people in there. You really couldn't enjoy it. We stayed at the bucket pool but there were rarely chairs or shade there. At the beach, they discourage you from bringing your own umbrella and chairs by making you sit behind the line of ones to rent. The elevators have always been slow but this time they seemed worse, not sure why. It never bothered us in the past but this time it was very noticeable. I tried to go down the stairs once but each floor said no re entry. I never tried the other set after that. They also didn't put my bill under the door in the morning. I like to review it before I check out. I didn't receive my bill until after I checked out. So I had to quickly look it over before we left. I also thought we received a survey in the past and this time we didn't. I don't think we will go back there next time.

Parma, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

I am a huge fan of this hotel and have visited many times. The pool located between the hotel and Brighton tower has alway been crowded but you expected it since there are also several high rise condo towers wanting to use the pool. This year we noticed that they are using wristbands to control the population. I just would rather not have to wear a wristband to go swim in the pool. They were very lax on the wristbands luckily but it is uncomfortable to have to wear a wrist band to swim and wear it around all day. The renovation of the lobby was nice. I could not find the pamphlet rack by more but it's not a big deal and I just walked over to the Hilton and got some. My point is its got the free breakfast and evening booze but they are nearing being too restrictive and controlling of the guests. Used to be a easy four star but not anymore.

Room Tip: High floor, request in reservation comment box
Kingsport, TN
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

I have stayed at several Embassy Suites hotels over the years. Typically, they are very clean with very good customer service. This one is the exception. My room had a locked safe and I couldn't put any valuables in it. I called the front desk within 15 minutes of arriving to my room and they promised to have someone there to open it within the hour. No one came. I called 5 times the first 2 days and each time, was told the same thing, with no one ever coming. No one came to change the 2 burned out bulbs either. Bathroom was dull with old faucets, clogged tub drain which took 20 minutes to drain after each shower, partially stopped up shower head, and a large spot of paint chipped off the wall. This room was $400 per night and I expected much better for that kind of money. Housekeeping didn't take out the full trashcan from my suite one day. The same 3 pizza boxes and Bud Lite lime cans were sitting on the table next to the elevator from Thursday afternoon until i checked out Sunday morning. The smell in the hallway on the bottom floor (below lobby) was sickening like soured or moldy carpet or walls. The lobby was not typical of Embassy Suites. No garden or courtyard. Only 3 elevators serve this very large building and it takes 20-25 minutes at times to get through the line to an elevator. The location is exceptional. It's not in the congested area of Myrtle Beach, but in a residential section.The waterpark was very nice and the pools were okay. Definitely the smallest pools I've ever seen at a resort. Breakfast was very good and selection was great. Manager's Reception every night was good too. Good drinks, bad snacks. I recommend using valet parking because it is very hard to find a place to park at any time of the day. They also won't allow you a luggage cart unless you pay the bellhop for his services. Overall, I was disappointed with this hotel. Several good things, but too many problems. I paid a lot for this vacation and had expectations which were not met.

• Stayed July 2013
Shenandoah Valley
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

Travelling with two teens, it's nice to have a separate room, one of the reasons we really like the Embassy Suites chain. The room had a balcony the gave a good view to both the pools and the ocean.

The pools are very nice, with a water park for smaller kids and a Lazy River for all ages. Throw some towels down early to reserve some chairs by the pool, and you can alternate between the pools and the ocean, only about 75 yards from the hotel. We could have stayed solely at the hotel and swam or sunbathed, but MYrtle Beach offers so many things to see we took several day trips and the hotels location meant everything was within 15-30 minutes by car

Parking cost $8.99/day but was easily accessible and well lit, with some shaded areas to park in as well.

The food in the hotel was very good, from omelettes made to order at breakfast or the buffet line, to the snack bar burgers and hot dogs, to the evening meals or coffee at the hotel restaurants. Yes there are cheaper options outside of the hotel, but overall the cost was not bad. We did walk 15 easy minutes down to Apache pier for fish baskets, delicious!

The whole family had a great week there, I recommend it to families.

Room Tip: Try to get a beachfront corner, and if you are a light sleeper get a room that is not facing the poo...
Atlanta, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013 via mobile

This is the first time I've reviewed a hotel. I'm compelled to warn others about Kingston plantation, especially if you are traveling with kids and want to enjoy the beach.
My biggest concern is safety. We brought our own beach chairs and sun tent. Unfortunately, the only place you are allowed to set up chairs, umbrellas, etc is BEHIND the row of (mostly reserved) rental chairs and umbrellas stretched as far as the eye can see along the beach, and so close that they touch. In effect, it creates a wall of rental equipment that blocks your view of the beach and, most importantly, children who are enjoying the surf. So unsafe! See photos. I have the option of sitting in the shade and seeing the back of rental chairs or watching my children close-up without any shade... Or not going to the beach (which was the whole reason I came here). If I was warned in advance ( it should be clear on the hotel website and communicated by reservation agents) that chairs and umbrellas must be rented and personal beach equipment not permitted, then I would have complied, but there is no such warning. I have gladly rented my equipment at other beach resorts where this policy is clear. Here, the chairs were reserved and there was no prior communication to warn guests.
As for the pools, they are quite small and there are not enough lounge chairs... and very few umbrellas or shade areas. By 8 AM, any chairs with umbrellas are already taken. People put their towels on the chairs then disappear for hours. Every morning I would see that the pool deck had no people on it yet every chair was taken until after 9:30 AM. I realize that this problem is created by rude hotel guests however the hotel could police it and prevent this issue.
The hot tub water looked very murky and disgusting.
The water park area was nice but not worth the line to get in each morning. Also I should mention that there were not enough chairs at the water park and there were only a whopping eight umbrellas in the entire area. The water park consists of a lazy river with absolutely no current (a very lazy river), two short slides, and some sprayers. This part may be fine for toddlers, but older children will be bored. Most club or neighborhood pools have similar facilities.
The pool snack bar had a small but adequate menu. The food was tasty and fairly priced. Too bad there is no waitstaff or runners or even self service trays! People with children struggle carrying food from the counter service area. No one will help you. They do not even have trays so you can carry multiple meals. Drinks must be picked up from the bar which is a separate counter not in the snack area. I realize it's only a snack bar and do not expect to be waited on, but just having trays available and drinks in one location so that parents can easily carry their familiy's meals for small children would be very helpful. At the food pick up counter, I asked the employee if I could borrow a tray instead of making multiple trips and he told me that their trays would not fit through the pickup window. Period. I made 3 trips carrying food before other hotel guests started to help me. With a tray, I could have made 1 trip all by myself.
Our hotel room was well appointed and nicely decorated. Unfortunately, on the first day, we walked in to find a dirty Q-tip on the floor and toenail cuttings on the sheets in the pullout sofa bed - yuck.
The elevator lines were ridiculous. Thankfully we were only on the fifth floor so it wasn't terrible to take the stairs. I would never want to be on floors 15-20 for this reason! I'm in goid shape, but with luggage and kids in tow, it would be awful.
I paid for Wi-Fi access for two mobile devices. Unfortunately, this paid service was often down. There is no free Wi-Fi in common areas.

• Stayed July 2013
EmbassyMyrtle, Manager at Embassy Suites Myrtle Beach-Oceanfront Resort, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
I'm so sorry to hear that your stay with us was not more enjoyable. We do our best to provide clean, comfortable surroundings and friendly, efficient service and can assure you that we're taking your comments very seriously. As we reevaluate our current processes, we will be sure to keep your feedback in mind. We hope that you will give us another opportunity in the future!
Hartsville, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

I have to say I have stayed at the Embassy 2 weekends in a row and was blown away with the service. I usually stay at the Hilton next door or the Hamton Inn and Suites on South Ocean Blvd. I saw the Embassy had room price was in line with the other 2 properties so I decided to give it a try. WOW... The staff was great. I did the valet parking. Those guys are dead on the spot for whatever you need. I am very impressed. The breakfast area was awesome. I would have to say go down early as the closer it gets to 10 am the longer the line gets. Still it was wonderful. Great pool area. Took the grandbabies the first weekend and was super impressed with the life guards and the splash area for the smaller kids. I will defiantely go back again to this property.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to Embassy Suites Myrtle Beach-Oceanfront Resort? Share your experiences!