“Great Stay” 4 of 5 stars

Choice Privileges Points
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Great Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

We stayed at the Suburban Extended Stay of Myrtle Beach in 2011 for 2 days. The price was right and it was very close to shopping and restaurants. Staff was very friendly and accommodating anything extra we needed they provided without any hassle. The place is a little outdated on the inside but the bed was comfortable and it was a plus to have a mini kitchen in the room. We actually got in the pool it was clean and small but nice. Overall it was a very pleasant stay. We would definitely keep them in mind on our next vacation to Myrtle Beach.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
SuburbanGM, Manager at Suburban Extended Stay of Myrtle Beach, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Thank you for choosing us during your vacation here Myrtle Beach, SC. I am glad your stay, at the Suburban Extended Stay Hotel, was very pleasent. Thank you for sharing your comments with us, we have taken them into consideration. We have been working on our interior design and have recently order new Bedspreads and furniture for our rooms. We are elated to have you return as our guest, remember we offer weekly discounted rates, starting at 5 nights or more. Hopefully during your next visit, you will be able to stay longer. Thanks again and see you soon!!!

45 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

I'm a frequent guest of the Suburban Extended Stay Hotel in Myrtle Beach. I love the location of this property, I can access everything on the beach around 15minutes or less. The staff is always nice and friendly, they always make me feel welcomed. Yes, the Suburban is not Ritz, but the staff does an excellent job keeping up the property. Besides, they usually have the best prices on the beach. The rooms are set up apartment style, with your own stove to cook, which always helps. If you are traveling on a budget, and need a clean place to stay, this is the hotel for you. If you are prefer, the Ritz, I suggest you pay for it, because this is not the hotel for you!!!!

Room Tip: Make sure you ask about the different rooms types. They rent nightly, weekly, and monthly so the pri...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
SuburbanGM, General Manager at Suburban Extended Stay of Myrtle Beach, responded to this review, September 22, 2012
GREAT! I'm glad our hotel was exactly what you need! We look forward to your next visit.
Parker, Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

I would not stay here again.
Place needed some real deep cleaning! Had to pay up front for the 11 days, and if you left early, you have to pay extra day. When I did ask when our room would be clean they said after 7 days...Well the seventh day pass...no one clean it. Even when I ask the front desk what day it was..he looked up our room number and said on 7th day. When I went to front desk next day [8th] afternoon, it was still not clean. She said, not on books to clean...I told them that man said it would be clean..and it was on the schedule to clean. So off we went and when got back it was clean...finally! Oh if you want more towels you have to ask the front desk...would be nice to be told when we check in.
The place could use a deep cleaning!!! carpets need cleaning and halls too! I got bug bites too!!!
There were these guys who keep their door open.. in their underwear...eating... going from room to room on first floor. Not a pretty picture to see...even for anyone!
The air condition were VERY LOUD!!!
Will never stay here again! Not a place for famly even if the price is less!

Room Tip: Go any place else but here!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Thanks for the review, but I wish we could have made it right while you were here! I'm a bit confused about a few of your comments....we only charge for the nights you stay unless you buy a prepaid package. ??? We certainly would never dream of "making" you stay if you had told us you were unhappy. Yes, this summer we did have a few guests that were very comfortable in less than "public' clothing and Yes, we did ask them repeatedly to cover up before coming into the hall. But unlike most extended stay properites or effienency apartments, we are happy to provide fresh linens and terry anytime you request them, FREE OF CHARGE.
It looks like you might live pretty far away, but if you ever find yourself coming this way again. Choose us and let's talk.
mccalla,AL
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

I have stayed at Suburban hotels before and while I was never overly impressed,the branch in Myrtle Beach is one I will be sure not to visit again.From the moment you walk in,you are greeted by a damp smell that permeates the whole place.It's obvious this is not a newer hotel,but alot of older places I have visited are still very clean and well-maintained.When this place doesn't have a mildew-like odor,it reeks of some horrible,sickly sweet cleaning product they use:( The staff,while pleasant enough,didn't really go beyond their bare minimum duties;they usually don't say hello or overly communicate with guests.There is not alot of concern for comforts.The rooms are sadly,a joke.Outdated and tired,they could benefit from a good cleaning and some paint! The beds are uncomfortable and the pillows are flat,I purchased replacements because I couldn't sleep on the ones provided.On my first night,I found roaches and a spider in the need-to-be-scrubbed bathtub,once more,I bought some Lysol cleaner and did the job myself,just so I could take a bath.I also had to do this with the fridge and the cabinets,the holder for the silverware was FILTHY.Most of the pots and pans/extras were missing,including(but not limited to)...the dutch oven,large cooking pot,all but one lid,two of the mugs,two of the knives,the entire dish drainer,and the dish scrubber. Don't bother asking for extra towels/sheets,you are better off bringing your own so you don't get charged more money.They say you can have one weekly cleaning,but when they clean your room,your belongings will wind up shoved into a corner,with little regard for anything of importance.A few other words of warning:people like to steal the "do not disturb" signs from the doors.The parking lot stays jammed on weekends,especially at night.There isn't alot of light on the outlying spots.The front door closes/locks at 11pm,so get there before then.Bring some Raid and ALOT of quarters,since the less than luxurious laundry room has dinosaur dryers that cost $1.50 per load,but you will have to run it twice.They do have drink machines,but they will only take exact change so if you put in a dollar bill,you may or may not get it back.The a/c is as outdated as the decor,you would think from the temp in the lobby,this place would feel so good after a day at the beach.But no,I had to set the thermostat down to 65 degrees to get any cold air.
There are a FEW positives.This place is minutes from the beach and any number of cool tourist attractions,such as Wonder Works and Broadway on the Beach.There is a nice pool,although it stays packed on weekends.Tons of restaurants in the area deliver,including Chinese,pizza,pasta and sushi.The beauty here is in the location,and this place could use some good points.

Room Tip: Avoid weekends if possible.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Sorry you were dissappointed. We are working on the items you mentioned that we can correct. Maybe you could give us another try in the spring. We're painting now!
raleigh
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for one night, and on the evening of check in, I informed the desk clerk I would like a late check out of 1pm. He said it was no problem. The next morning, upon going to breakfast I checked to verify my late checkout was noted. I was informed there was no mention of it and was told I could have one but I had to be out by 1pm. With that said, before 1pm, I had a dnd in my key slot to keep a housekeeper from coming in. Well, she removed the dnd and unlocked the room. I was getting dressed, as well as one of my children while another was showering. This just violated our privacy. There was no knock on the door! She just came in.

I work in a hotel and know standards that are expected and this shouldn't have happened. No one's stay should be interrupted with anyone walking in on them. The hotel was clean but noisy. Didnt seem like the front desk could control the overwhelming number of families with kids that happened to be in the hotel and we constantly heard running, banging, and knocking.

If you need a place to crash, and wouldn't be in your room a lot needing sleep, and also leaving before check out time, this would be a decent hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Thanks for the review. We are a discount hotel that serves many kinds of families, sometimes it can get a bit loud. I'm not sure what happened with your DND sign, not only is it a good reminder to everyone to use that night latch for security, but also to leave them on the doors. I have discussed the entrance with the housekeeping staff because they too know better. We hope to see you again soon.
Columbia, South Carolina, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

I recently purchased a room at Suburban Myrtle Beach on priceline. It wasnt really cheap but was better than other hotels in the area. Upon arrival, I was greeted by an unkempt desk clerk who looked like he had recently been released from a prison. I worried that someone had hidden the real clerk and was collecting money for a robbery! Then, I headed to the elevator. It was like something out of a horror movie. It stunk severely and was shaky and loud. It got stuck momentarily and took 2 minutes to open the door! When I got out on my floor, it reeked of marijuana and cigarettes. I opened the door to my room and was shocked by the musty odor and outdated appearance. The bathroom had mildew everywhere and smelled of old chlorine. I laid my bags down and got ready to lay down to recooperate from a long drive. Pulled my sheets back to fnd small bugs of some sort. They resembled tiny roaches. Fleas, bedbugs, I dont know.. My children and I slept on them anyway. My daughter got out of the bed and slept on the floor because she thought something was crawling on her! The next day, I requested new sheets. The new desk clerk looked better and was helpful but still had itchy sheets. I was informed that for a $35 fee, they would come clean the room! Each time I left my room, I was greeted with the smell of marijuana and cigarettes. The vending machine even offers cigarellos for rolling and newport cigarettes! The hotel evidentally has alot of permanent guests and they dont seem to care what the quality is. There were prostitutes standing all around and drug deals happening at all hours. Not to mention the fighting, screaming, etc in the halls. On day 2 of my trip, my husband contracted a stomach virus. It wasnt from food. I honestly feel it was from an unsanitary room. The hotel staff was actually helpful and called an ambulance for him. They didnt try to talk to him and wait for it though. They never inquired to how his hospital trip went either. They must see that alot. They dont wash your towels or replace toilet paper either. So, spending my own money for those things isnt what I would expect from a hotel! I had already pais $280 for 3 days! The only thing about the hotel I liked was the pool. My kids and I were able to avoid the room and stay outside. I feel jilted and robbed for paying for this room. Priceline makes themselves look bad by endorsing this place!

Room Tip: Do a ride by before you settle. Dont buy online without investigating!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
, Manager at Suburban Extended Stay of Myrtle Beach, responded to this review, June 27, 2012
Thanks for your review. I'm working on the issues you encountered as they distress me. Being in a vacation area it is unfortunate that some people would use that opportunity to break the law. We certainly don't condone it. We hope your husband is indeed feeling better and you enjoy your next stay through Priceline more than this one.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2012 via mobile

First I was excited to stay at Suburban when discuss rate over phone with jamika upon my arrival &checking in rate changed. I continued my stay & was offered $40/night rate on 15 days stay..I work a full-time job with various hours and explained that rate was gd but would be paying weekly rate instead of 2 week rate. I was placed on floor & upon stepping off elevator was greeted by strong odor of marijuana and other guests hanging in hallway like they was on street corner. I've seen several transactions being placed and to my surprise Suburban condones this of their guests because they have blunt wraps in vendor machine. Staff does not communicate on what rate or status of guest for pass weeks I've heard I have pass due balance but I pay on weekly basis so if I get paid after 12 while I'm at work until when I return and no staff is at desk. I have to go to comfort suites get card reactivated and pay late fee. My question is why when agreement has been made and management has knowledge of my pay scale then to pay week rate I owe and agreed upon be locked out like a homeless person. Left message several times for management and no response so I'm out over $300 & when I go to work and return locked out again. Wonder what I owe now being that management is only one authorized to charge my visa to room. After all the good things I heard was all lies. By the way head management is on premises when she wants to be..I moved here to be closer to my job and savings but with all the different staff telling different stories I will be leaving.

• Stayed May 2012
SuburbanGM, General Manager at Suburban Extended Stay of Myrtle Beach, responded to this review, June 12, 2012
I'm very sorry you had difficulties with us. I have attempted to reseach each of your stated issues but have not been able to find you. I have reviewed voice messages and written messages for any sign of mixed up rates or requests for me to call, I have nothing. Additionally, we do not charge "late fees". I can't find any charges like that in our computer systems. Your message sounds like you may still be on property and I would be happy to talk to you, get this all worked out. The Memorial Day weekend was very busy and we were filled to capacity. It is unfortunate that some guests did not respect the property or other guests. If you have stayed with us for 15 or more days, you know that is not the normal at our hotel.
Please read the other recent reviews as this experience seems very unusual.

Been to Suburban Extended Stay of Myrtle Beach? Share your experiences!