“A cautionary tale of an Oceans One guest.” 1 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Resort   |   102 S Ocean Blvd, Myrtle Beach, SC 29577   |
Ranked #25 of 215 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Maryland
“A cautionary tale of an Oceans One guest.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

I just returned home from Oceans One Resort and I can say confidently that I will not stay there again.

I was going to post this review while I was still there but I wanted to wait to see what their resolution time and follow through was like.

First let me say that I’ve wanted to stay at Oceans One for years ever since it first opened so I was extremely excited about staying there and upon arriving I was fairly pleased with the cordial if not overly polite service during check in. We stayed from 07/27 through 08/04.

We (my girlfriend and I) entered the room (Type 7-room 606) and at first glance it was pretty much what I expected. It was nice. Upon unpacking and closer inspection there were little things that starting coming to light such as what appeared to be a dead flea in the bathroom drawer. We immediately started inspecting the rest of the room and called the front desk. I spoke with the same women that had checks us in and I guess she thought I was exaggerating because she actually laughed at me and told the hotel had no bug issues. I really felt like I had been blown off. We found no other sign of bugs in the room luckily but we were definitely nervous from that point forward.

That first night when we went to bed the sheets felt damp and it was a little un-nerving and we slept with our cloths on because we were worried.
Warning: The Type 7 is advertised on the web site as having two queen beds. This is not the case, there were two full beds in the room.

I called the front desk the next morning and spoke with multiple different people at the desk. That morning (July 28, Sunday) they were very nice and very helpful. I had asked them about the sheets and the fact that there was no table on the balcony as advertised and for a new remote control for the TV because it did not work. As you can see there were many little things that were adding up. I also asked about the bug issue again because I felt like there was no resolution the first time. They were prompt and apologetic about everything.

To top it all off on the 6th day of our stay we realized that all the vents in the room were leaking water. We contacted the front desk yet again and they sent some one up. Their solution to the issue was to turn down the AC. That is not a solution. Everyone knows that there is condensation with Air Conditioning units but that should be on the outside. We had to move out electronics to another outlet because they were getting dripped on. We were as you can imagine not pleased with this or their response to this. We did not call the desk again because well…..at that point it seemed pointless to even try anymore.

For $1865.00 for 8 nights I thought that this really should have been better.

From what I can tell from my stay there is a lack of any real oversight at this property. What’s even more disturbing is that these condos are privately owned and if I were an owner I would be extremely disturbed at the way my property was being managed.

Honestly it is the little things that bothered me the most. The leaking vents are obviously part of a larger issue that should be addressed and the owner of that condo should be notified immediately before they have to discover it on their own. The missing table from the balcony (which by the way was replaced with what looked like something that was built in some ones shed, the paint was still tacky and there were screws sticking out of it), the remote that did not work, the damp sheets, the bug that was found. All of these issues would have been discovered if there was actually someone checking the rooms. I understand that it is peak season and housekeeping is very busy but it would only take a couple of minutes to do a once over of the room to confirm that everything is order.

I have stayed in many hotels in Myrtle Beach and I always stay (or at least try to) at a premium property and I am willing to pay a premium to do so. Unfortunately this time we did not get what we paid for.

NOTE: I am also writing a letter to management.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
gmoceansone, General Manager at Oceans One Resort, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
Thank you for spending the time to write this review. I like to respond to the issues so let me try and disect them for future guests.

1. What appeared to be a flea or gnat in the bath drawer.
A. We spray each room every month and this has not been a problem in the past. The gnat
was dead and there were no other problems as you stated.
2. Condensation on air vents and sheets felt damp first night.
A. We are on the beach in a tropical environment with 90% humidity in Aug. There are no
water lines in the vents or around them to leak. Condensation will form on this metal
and drip if you open the balcony doors when the room is 70 degrees inside. The tile
floors will also sweat and the linen may feel damp.
B. The picture posted of the living area showing all the clothes hanging on furniture to
dry also adds to this humidity. All our rooms have dryers in them for this purpose
3. Missing Balcony table and non working remote
A. Balcony table was being repaired in maint. shop and was returned day of check in. Rooms
have multiple tvs and remotes. One of them failed and we replaced it as soon as we were
called. We go thru over 500 remotes per year, mostly from them missing and they are
readily available.

Thanks for the compliments on the front desk staff, housekeeping, and other personel. We are sorry you feel you did not get your money's worth at Oceans One. I feel we acted and responded to all your issues in a timely manner solving any problem you encountered. The only ongoing issue was the condensation which we could not stop as long as the balcony doors remained open. It was an eight day stay for you guys, and hopefully some of your time was not terrible as you have rated this stay.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (232)
Rutherfordton, North Carolina, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

We just returned from our vacation at Myrtle Beach Sc. We have stayed at Oceans One Resort several times before (when it first opened) and had always rated it very well before. I did feel like this time I needed to make "buyers beware" of a few misguided things that are on there website. The first thing is that it clearly stated that this facility is a Smoke free environment. There are even signs at check-in stating that guest caught smoking would receive a $250 fine and be asked to leave resort. We asked several employees before booking each time just to make sure due to having a son with asthma that is really affected by smoke. Each time I was encouraged that the resort was 100% smoke free and enforced with fines and evictions. While we were there the 8 days we stayed we had to contact the front desk 4 times about the floor below us smoking on the balcony. Each time they thanked us and ensured us it would be handled, however I continued to have to close the doors and keep the kids away from the balcony because of the smoking. However at least I could dodge it, unlike the entrances of the resort. Each time we left or returned to the hotel, different guest were sitting on the ledge by the doors smoking. At one time there was even a security guard from the resort smoking with them. When I approached the desk and asked them why they were not enforcing the no smoking rules, they said it only applied to the rooms and pool areas. (Even though the sign clearly stated no smoking in ALL common areas such as pools, exits, etc..) The room was fine as well as the amenities, but if you are not a smoker you might want to bring a mask, better yet stay somewhere else.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
gmoceansone, General Manager at Oceans One Resort, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Thank you for you review and thanks for staying with us multiple times. I would like to address you coments that we are not a smoke free facility. We do maintain that we are a smoke free facility. Smoking in our facility results in a $250 fine. This includes all rooms, balconies, pool areas, hallways, stairwells, elevators, ect. We as a hotel provide two smoking areas for our guests that do smoke. They are outside, near the sidewalks in front of the building. We feel the need to try and accomodate all our guests, and feel that this is a sutable solution. In Myrtle Beach you are allowed to smoke in outside public areas. If our guests took a few more steps to the sidewalk, or walked out our pool gates to the public beach access, we cannot control them anyway. Hopefully providing a non smoking building and pool areas is enough for the majority of our guests. Thank you for your comments and hope to see you again soon.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

This was our first stay at Oceans One. Our family of 4 stayed in a type 14 on the 20th floor. The views? Amazing at all angles! Spacious unit with plenty (almost an over abundance) of storage space. Sure, the furniture looks a little rough around the edges, but who even notices unless you're trying to find the negative? Our only aggravation was that the luggage carts seemed to mysteriously disappear around evening time, never to return until mid-day. We joked that people must hoard them overnight to pre-pack. While amusing, it wasn't funny when it took the 4 of us 3 trips to pack this morning (from 20th floor to the car across the street as the unloading zone resort side was also booked up). In all, we were extremely pleased with our stay. Housekeeping was excellent. We loved the ease of having our own kitchen and washer/dryer. Our typical beach vacations have been at a gated condo community in North Myrtle, but we enjoyed staying here so much, we hope to return soon.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thanks for your review. We agree that the views are amazing from some of these rooms. The furniture does show wear toward the end of the summer but all these issues are addressed during the off season to make sure we are ready for the following year. Thanks again
Dixon, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013 via mobile

We are returning home from our first trip to the Myrtle Beach area. Wow! What a wonderful trip! The location is fantastic...located close to the 2nd avenue pier (that provides an awesome firework show each Wednesday evening during the summer) as well as within walking distance to stores such as Walgreens and Krispy Kreme (both necessities when traveling with teenagers!). There is a little general store across the street as well.....where the employees were very polite and the store was clean!

The resort was SO relaxing and convenient for us to go back and forth from the beach to the room.....we could have literally stayed within a block of everything all week with a FABULOUS view!

The city provides beach umbrellas and chairs for a fee. They offer discounts for a week rental.....a word of caution: they are set up around 8 am in the morning and are taken down at 4 pm daily.

We are so very pleased with the service we received (especially at the registration office), the amenities and everything regarding this trip that we will return..... FOR SURE!!

Thanks, Oceans One for a wonderfully relaxing and recharging vacation!

• Stayed July 2013
Thanks for your review. The fireworks are a great bonus for us at Oceans One and there is no better view than from your balcony. Thanks for the compliments on the staff, they do try very hard to please. Watch out for the doughnuts, Working this close to them the sneak up on you!
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

We first stayed At Ocean One last november...we really enjoyed our vacation there.
The staff was very friendly and very helpfull. The room was clean and agreable with a
nice ocean front view. The pool was clean and warm. The resort is well located, close
all facilities, shopping mall, food market and restaurants..It is also close to the boardwalk
and located right on the beach.
We enjoyed our stay so much that we are going bach this year.

Room Tip: All rooms have a direct view to the sea with a balcony the admire the site. Rooms on the south side...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Poughkeepsie, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

Another great stay at Oceans One. Very friendly workers. Hotel once again was very clean and modern. View from balcony was awesome. Hotel right in the middle of the strip. Close to all attractions. Pool towels were plentiful.

CT
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

This was our second stay at Oceans One July 9-13 (last time it was the end of August and of course much cheaper) and we just cant get enough of the view and being steps away from the beach! well worth it.We were on the 21st floor and loved it. The staff is great at always supplying plenty of towels and toiletries.
This resort would be much nicer with a bar/restaurant on site and a bathroom in the pool area, sucks having to go all the way back upstairs to your room.
I would definitely recommend trying this hotel.

Room Tip: The higher the floor the better the view.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to Oceans One Resort? Share your experiences!