“would not do over” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #139 of 215 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Kingsport, Tennessee, United States
“would not do over”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2014

This property is no longer a comfort inn it has been down graded to Econo Lodge . The gentleman working the desk seemed to take pride that they would no longer have to do the piddly crap the it required to remain a comfort inn. When I first checked in I thought ok lets try it . well that was as good as it got , during the week the two elevators took turn about being out of order. I had to open the bathroom door to stand up off of the toilet, the bathroom was so small if you stepped out of the shower if you tried to dry off in the bathroom you would step in the toilet. The door to the room was loose and every time our neighbor shut his door ours rattled for about 20 seconds. Pools were dirty hot tub was cold .

Room Tip: look else where!!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

I am doing this review the morning of our checkout at 6am because I cannot sleep on this uncomfortable mattress any longer. I woke up sore again this morning. NOTE: THIS IS AN ECONOLODGE, not a Comfort Inn. I booked a standard room with two double beds with a small refridgerator and a microwave. It was an ocean front room which was the best! My honest view on this property is that location wise, this property location is perfect. Its across from the family kingdom amusement park so if you have teenagers like I do its a short walk away. The room itself was clean but needs better mattresses and new carpet. There was a nice flat screen Tv which worked fine. The air conditioner was great. The balcony and the view was great. The indoor and outdoor pools were huge but needed daily cleaning of sand but that didn't happen while we were here. You could feel sand under your feet at times. The staff was very friendly. The two elevators worked fine. Some of the issues that I have is that our phone was broken so we couldn't call the front desk. If we needed something we had to walk to the lobby. The carpet throughout the property needs to be replaced. I made sure we all kept something on our feet even in our room. Overall it was a descent stay but definately a 2-star hotel so you get what you pay for. If the owners would replace the carpet and make a few upgrades, this hotel would be one of the better hotels for families especially because of the location. Lastly, the continental breakfast is okay. They serve no meat, just cereal, toast, waffles, and muffins with juice and coffee. Get there early because it gets REALLY crowded in there.

Room Tip: Any room that is oceanfront would be a plus!
Louisville
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

This hotel is now Econolodge, and was right on the beach. Great location and very clean room. My family was in a suite on the 7th floor and we enjoyed our stay.. Never heard noise and my kids loved the indoor pool and hot tub was great. It is a little outdated but we had a wonderful stay and will return again.There is a little breakfast but its lite.

Room Tip: The suites are the best. It has a freezer/fridge in room with microwave. we had a side view of the h...
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

good place to stay............just near the beach ...........enjoyed my stay. hotel was comfortable and clean. breakfast was ok..........all outdoor activity spots and restaurants were nearby. I would recommend this.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Rockaway Beach
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

I thought with all the things listed in this hotel I thought i was geting a deal. Swimming pool, Gym, restaurant, so on. The gym was hotel room with an eliptical and a treadmill that didnt work. The pool was closed for the winter and the restaurant opened and closed very early. Staff is nice but the hotel need to upgrade badly. It was clean but everything is old so it look dingy!! I stayed 3 days with nothing to do anywhere close unless you have a car.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Salisbury, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2014

We are pretty loyal Choice Hotel clients and gold members with Choice Privileges. When we travel we generally stay at one of their Comfort Suites. I know Econo Lodge is a step down and have stayed at a few before and they have been pretty good for the price. So I thought we would give this hotel a try since it is in a good location and the price was reasonable for a 1 king oceanfront suite at $93/night. First of all I have to say that the staff was great and very friendly. Unfortunately, the hotel itself is in desperate need of upgrades and renovation. I can see why it was downgrade to an Econo Lodge and wouldn't be surprised to see it downgraded even further in the near future. The rooms are really run down. Too many things to mention in just a small review but just to note a few, the carpet was worn thru in spots, the mini fridge was louder than the TV and the toilet wobbled so much when you sat down that I was afraid it would fall over. I did expect a bit better for what we paid. We had just stayed two weeks before at the Caribbean Resort up the street in a 1 king oceanfront suite for $126/night so I knew it wouldn't be quite as good as there but the difference was night and day. Too bad I had really hoped to have found a good reasonable hotel there, so I guess we will just have to keep looking.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Raleigh, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2014

Okay, this hotel wasn't anything fancy, but it seemed alright. I stayed last weekend, from Friday to Monday. I liked the balcony, it was nice to be oceanfront and the pool area was great. Initially, upon entering the room, I was like...okay, it's alright. I didn't find it to be dirty necessarily, just old.

So we left, it was fine...and then two days ago I woke up with bites all over my back, arms and shoulders. I've never had bed bugs, but sometimes they take several days to appear, or so google tells me. I have yet to see the bugs themselves, but who just wakes up with itchy bites for no apparent reason? I'm not so sure since no one else seems to have had this problem according to the reviews, but this is the only way I can think of how I may have contracted them.

I'm not trying to give a bad name to this hotel, but there is a good chance this is where I got them. Just be cautious. I wish I would have read something like this beforehand. I would have reconsidered. I'm praying it is something else, but I'm about 90% sure these are bed bug bites.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Comfort Inn & Suites Beach Front Central? Share your experiences!