“DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY OR TIME” 1 of 5 stars

Sands Beach Club Resort
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   9400 Shore Dr, Myrtle Beach, SC 29572   |
Ranked #112 of 214 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Goose Creek, South Carolina
“DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY OR TIME”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

I arrived at the resort at 3:54pm and left at 10:33pm on the same date. The ocean view is the second best I have ever seen however the rooms were problematic.
When we arrived in room 1118 we were greated by two dead roaches and a strong chemical odor. Two hours in the room as we walked on the carpet the green carpet started to look black. We called the front desk and the Manager was not available but his wife was covering for him. (hmmm) but she offered us another room. Room 519 was missing carpet in the living area (very stained carpet pad) but was much cleaner and did not have the chemical smell. We turned on the water to take a shower and we got rust colored water. Maintenance came to the room and suggested we run the water for two hours. Two hours later the water was still rust colored. This rust colored water also came from the kitchen faucets as well. We were then asked to inspect 315 and this room had the original carpet issue from our first room. We got a refund and could not find another resort in Myrtle Beach. We drove back to Charleston with a crying five year old in the car. I believe we would have been better off in Hotel 6. We were informed by the staff that 1118 leaked for months and may be filled with mold. The maintenance staff infomed us they did not know how maintenance was done at the Beach Club resort because most of the other rooms were time shares which are taken care of by another company and the Beach Club in not a priority of the sands. DO NOT STAY AT THIS RESORT. I REPEAT DO NOT STAY AT THIS RESORT.

Room Tip: Do not stay in this resort. I am calling DHEC regarding the mold and pest issue Monday morning
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Monroe, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

Loved the room with the ocean view. Will be staying there again. Beach wasn't crowded at all. Which was good. Would have loved to had washer/dryer in the room but could deal without it. Staff was very friendly. Kids loved it. Close to shopping and attractions.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Columbia, South Carolina, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

First off, I have only written ONE bad review of anyplace that I have stayed. I am easily pleased with accommodations as long as rooms are livable. I normally stay at the Sands Ocean Dunes Resort in the 2-bedroom villa. I LOVE those rooms and recommend them to everyone.

My fiance' and I wanted to go to the beach for a couple of nights for Valentines Day. We wanted to mostly go shopping and enjoy dinner at Chuck's Steakhouse (also HIGHLY recommended) so we booked a place closer to N. Myrtle Beach (Sands Beach Club). We arrived at the hotel around 5pm Friday Feb. 15, 2012. We walked around for about 5 mins looking for the office. Once we found the office there was a sign telling us we had to go to Sands Ocean Club (about 2 blocks up the road) to get the room. When we entered the room we were okay with it. It had a decent bedroom and another tiny bedroom and 2 bathrooms. it was nowhere near as spacious as we are use to but it was fine for a couple of nights. At this point our trip was going just fine. After we settled in the room we started getting ready to go out to dinner. We each used a bathroom to shower and get ready. The next thing you know I smell an AWFUL odor. I knew I had smelled the odor before but couldn't think of it. As the whole room filled with this retched smell it came to me....IT WAS SULFUR. I mean it was STRONG too. My first thought was to let the water run and maybe the sulfur would filter out. Well, it did not. The smell in the room was so awful that I was literally gagging with every breath. So I call the front desk. I was told that the person that authorizes room changes would not be in until the next morning. We had to get ready for dinner so we cleaned up the best we could and went to eat. The next morning the front desk gave us the run around for 3 hours before they would offer us a different room. This is not tolerable! I will NEVER go back to this resort and suggest you take my advice.....unless you do not like to bathe on your vacation.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013 via mobile

We came to play on the beach & to play softball. We got the best of both worlds in our stay. We had batting cages for practice & the water park for down time. Best of noth worlds. Rooms & service were excellent. All our needs were taken care of & then some. Cannot wait to go back for both in July 2013 :)

• Stayed July 2012
Maryland, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

My family of 5, 2 adults, 3 kids stayed in a 2 bedroom unit on the 6th floor during Thanksgiving Week. Our unit 624 was in decent shape. There were 3 flat screen TV's and the 2 twin beds and the master queen bed had temperpedic matresses. The kitchen was small but usable for cooking Thanksgiving dinner. The supply starter pack was very skimpy. There were gas grills that we used also. The balcony door did stick but the view was great. All the 2 bedrooms in the main building are direct oceanfront and the beach is very accessable. If you get a 1 bedroom it is in a side building which looks newer but isn't on the ocean. There is a heated indoor pool. The restaurant was only open Wed- Sun and only served Wings and Frys. You could get drinks and there were resonable happy hour specials. I loved the location on the edge of the inlet. You could find lots of shells and the tide change was dramatic. It was a nice length walk to the Apache pier and you could walk the sand with shoes. They had lots of shaded tables and swinging chairs on the first level to relax in. The worse thing were the mini thorn balls which are in the sand just as you go on the beach. They are so sharp you get stuck trying to remove them. You should also know that the other Sands amenities aren't provided if you rent a timeshare unit. This was misleading looking at the website. Over all, it is a nice place in a natural area and we enjoyed it. Did I mention it is a mile behind the Tangier Outlets and Mall and movies. A very nice supermarket is closeby also.

Room Tip: Get in the 2 bedroom building and away from the elevator. Otherwise , all the rooms are simular alt...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

This is a timeshare condo and I must say the concept is very nice. However, the place was dirty and in desperate need of a thorough cleaning. The interior was dated and the doors to the balcony were hard to open.

One positive of staying here is the incredible view of the beach. I was able to watch Dolphins swim by from the comfort of my balcony.

I stayed in RM 117. If on a budget, I guess you may try it, otherwise, please don't. The entire building needs a makeover!!!

Room Tip: All rooms faces the ocean. I was on the 1st floor and before entering I was annoyed on being so clos...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Fairfax, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

We stayed in a two bedroom time share, room 319, for one night at the Sands Beach Club Resort. The appartment's condition was very run down. It needs to be complety renovated. Carpets are old and stained. The room needed to be thoroughly cleaned. A previous guest had long black hair...we know becuse we found it in several loations in the bathroom. Furniture is ancient and worn out. Aluminum sliding door locks were frozen from sea salt corosion which prevented us opening the front room door to the balcony which made the doors stick when opening or closing them. Mattresses were old and made you roll to the middle. There was multiple layers of paint-on-paint. Kitchen cabinet door and sitting room curtain rods were coming off. If we had known the state of the place we would not have purchased it and would have stayed somewhere else. I would not recommend anyone stay there until it is remodeled.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Sands Beach Club Resort? Share your experiences!