“Awful!” 1 of 5 stars

FALL/WINTER Spectacular!
Ranked #117 of 214 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
“Awful!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013 via mobile

I had booked a vacation on line for Sand Dunes Resort and Spa because of the indoor water slides and the "other" extras included. However, after driving 15 hours with my 2 daughters and 1 of their friends we were excited to finally get into our room and start our vacation. I go to the front desk to check in and the girl at the counter had no clue what she was doing. I told her who I was and she checked me in and gave me our room key. There was a bellboy to help with our luggage and then we headed up to our room. Online I had requested a room on the fifth floor or below because my daughters are afraid of heights. So here we are in the elevator and we head up to our floor which happened to be on floor twelve!! My daughters were so scared they didn't want to get off the elevator (the room number did not indicate it was the twelfth floor). We go back downstair and I went to speak to the girl at the front desk who was clueless so I asked to speak to a manager. This other lady comes out doesn't apologize but suggest she has another room on the fifth floor, I asked if it was ocean view since this is what I paid for, she assured me it was. We went to the room on the fifth floor and it was disgusting I would not even let an animal sleep in that room, not only that but when we opened the curtains the view was the hotel next door with a huge palm tree blocking any view and the ocean was a tiny speck and there was no balcony. I went back downstairs and advised them that this was unacceptable and they advised there was nothing they could do. I asked to speak to a manager and this guy came over who didn't care if I was there it seemed to me that I was interrupting whatever he was doing, he advised there was nothing he could do so I asked for a refund, he said he could give me a refund but my bank would not put it back into my account for 10 Days!!! I was livid!!! It has now been 24 hours since we left for vacation and now we have no place to stay and no money to pay for another place to stay, that is even if there were any places that had any rooms available! Luckily, after my breakdown the bell boy advised to my daughter about another resort that is so much better than the Sands! Had I have known to check on Trip Advisor which is advertised everywhere in South Carolina I would have known NOT to book my vacation at the Sand Dunes Resort & Spa.... DO NOT STAY HERE!!!

• Stayed June 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
Bethel Park, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

For the most part, my family and I enjoyed a pleasant stay at the Sand Dunes Resort and Spa. The water park and pool were refreshing; there were a lot of children there having a great time; the property is right on the beach; our view was nice; the room was clean and we were pleasantly surprised after having read the bad reviews and expecting the worst. The Kids Club was fabulous – Cindy, Leo and the others were really nice and kept the children engaged for several hours a day. Each day our daughter would come back with a big smile and tell us that she wished it was tomorrow so she could go there again! The breakfast buffet was great and our daughter was able to eat for free. We did not try Mango’s because after seeing the price list and realizing that you could only get the most expensive meals for half off, we decided to seek other eating establishments. The gift shop never seemed to be open – too bad, because it looked like they have some nice things in there. Our only real complaint is that towels are such a hot commodity – and you usually have to go to the front desk to get them. Sometimes you are turned away because they have “run out.” Our room was kept clean during the week because WE kept it that way. Beds were made and towels were picked up, but that was the extent of housekeeping. We did not eat in our room (even though we had a kitchen) because of the reviews I had read regarding roaches. I figured if we did not have any, then let’s not attract them! I have read reviews that the pools are not clean and I can truly say that this is not the fault of the staff, who I have watched cleaning them in the morning and checking the chemical levels in the daytime. I have to say that the fault here lies with the guests – come on people!!! Rinse off your feet after you’ve been in the sand before you get in! My parents raised me to take care of other people’s things as well as I take care of my own! I cannot see why there were coffee and soft drink cups lying poolside when there are garbage cans within easy reach. Just because you are on vacation, does that mean someone has to constantly wait on you??? I saw hotel towels left in the sand late at night. If those were YOUR towels, would you have picked them up and taken them home? I can see why the staff here would feel overwhelmed and unappreciated! You all realize that the elevators here are a bit on the slow side and guests have complained about that all through these reviews. Try being the housekeeper who is trying to get her work done and has to wait for the slow elevators that some guests are holding them up for family and friends! We did not really have any truly long waits for elevators – there was only one night when one of them was out of order. The rest of the time all was good.

Room Tip: We were housed in the main building. Our room was updated with a flat screen tv and seemed to be in...
South Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

Trust & Believe the bad reviews you have read. If you are looking to stay at Sand Dunes Ocean Dunes Resort - make sure you are ready to do your own housekeeping, take out your own trash, ask for and go get clean towels EVERYDAY. Upon arrival, you will need to wash any utensils/dishes as well. WHEN (not if) you have a problem or complaint, expect nothing but lip-service, apologies or excuses with a smile from the staff at the front desk. If you ask to speak to the Manager, the staff will first tell you the 'Manager is unavailable at the moment' and if you continue to tell them you want to speak to the Manager, they will momentarily leave the front desk and come back and tell you that the 'Manager is not on the premises'. It seems they will say whatever they need to so that you will just leave your name and number and they may even write down the problem you want to talk to the Manager about. DON'T expect that the Manager is going to call you back unless you go back to the front desk again and ask them to have the Manager call you back. You will most likely have to explain the problem all over again and leave your contact information. Persistence pays off. A day later I received a return call from the Manager and as I was talking to her (Sandra Alltop 864-692-5254) I walked into the lobby and asked to talk in person, however, she stated she couldn't because she had another call that was on hold. Seems the Manager only wanted to discuss it over the phone to avoid any personal interaction.

There was 7 of us in our party. Sunday Night: The first problem we had was with the TV in the family room so we called and reported the issue to the front desk. Monday Afternoon: the TV completely stopped working so we called down to the front desk and reported the problem again. We also asked the front desk if housekeeping was going to come to service the room and provide us with clean towels. Housekeeping came up and gave us new towels and emptied the trash. Shortly after housekeeping left, the maintenance man (old) arrived to look at the TV. That's exactly what he did - LOOK at it - and then said that since the units were 'privately owned' without owner approval all he could do he was bring up another TV and put it on the bureau. Monday Evening: the air conditioner stopped working so we reported the problem to the front desk. After returning from dinner, the temperature in the room had reached 80+ degrees so we called back down to the front desk and asked them to send maintenance to the room to inspect the unit. The evening shift HVAC repairman (Mr. Burgess) tried for an hour to repair the unit but was unable to so we all had to relocate to another room at 9:45 p.m. The remote to the TV was broken - we didn't bother to report the issue. Tuesday Morning: No housekeeping services received. Tuesday Afternoon: No housekeeping services received so we washed our own towels and took out our own trash. After two days, multiple calls to the front desk and numerous issues, I received a return call from the Manager (Sandra Alltop). After describing all the issues above, she said that she would make sure housekeeping had our room 'on the list' and would make sure we received housekeeping services. Tuesday/Wednesday: No services received.

As for the Cruise event that was included with the stay: Reservations could not be made because the recording said they were booked and no reservations could be made until 8/19.

Thursday Morning: While we were packing up to leave - saw small brown cockroaches when I opened the kitchen cabinets. GROSS !!!!! Couldn't wait to check out after seeing that. Checkout was required by 11:00 a.m. and while we were checking out we again attempted to speak to the Manager. The staff indicated that the Manager was not available and she wouldn't be there until Noon. How convenient. We asked for an Assistant Manager or next in charge and was told that one did not exist. We asked who the Managers boss was and was told it that would be at the Corporate Office. The corporate information we received was P.O. Box 2998 Myrtle Beach, SC 29572 843-449-3313. Whitepages.com shows this number is: Sand Resorts Holding LLC 201 74th N Ave, Myrtle Beach, SC 29572. Wow....same address for the Sand Dunes Ocean Dunes Resort as the Corporate address.

Never again will I stay at any of the Sands Resorts locations and I will be sure to share the hotel horrors with those that I know. Believe the bad reviews you have read - they are true.

Room Tip: DON'T STAY HERE. In hindsight - I wish I took pictures of all of this to post.
Howell, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

Let me start by stating that I am glad we didn't listen to all of the bad reviews. It really wasn't as bad as all of the reviews said. I do agree that there are some updates needed, but overall it was a good experience. We ended up booking through Elliot Realty and saved hundreds of dollars. We didn't pay for the linens or cleaning services, so that saved us. Also, we didn't get the extras such as water park and other tickets, but really didn't need it. I come to the beach to enjoy the beach not for a water park. I can do that at home. And in my opionion, it isn't worth it. To put things in perspective, my family paid the same amount for a very roomy 3 bedroom condo as my cousin did with his 1 bedroom unit (he booked directly through the hotel). I don't think he used the onsite water park at all. My advice would be book through an agency such as Elliot Travel. We still were able to use the pools and smaller lazy river.

Unlike other reviewers, I will tell you that we stayed in unit 601 and it was huge and clean. There were a few downsides, Elliot Reality falsely advertised 4 queen beds & 2 doubles. That wasn't true, the beds were all double. Also, room could use some updates. The beds are on the older side, the covers/comforters and pillows need replacement badly (glad I brought some extra blankets and my own pillows), pull out sofa could be replaced (the mattress was worn). The kitchen needs more plates and other utensils as it wasn't enough for a party of 12 (if you advertise you can fit 14 people, you should have enough). Also, they ask you to clean but don't provide any mops or other cleaning products. We had to buy our own. But overall it was decent experience. Balcony was nice and we had a great oceanview. I would stay here again, and make sure I get this same room.

Dalton, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

After reading many negative reviews I was nervous. We stayed Sunday to Sunday in a 3 bedroom condo. Our room was great and very clean! We loved the wrap around balcony and the 3 full baths. This hotel is perfect for anyone with children (ours ranged from 2-7). We all loved the water park which is free with your stay. You get 50% off entree at Mangoes on the Beach and kids eat breakfast free at the breakfast buffet. We also loved the prices and convenience of the little store they have on site. We did experience some rude workers our waiter at Mangoes was not friendly. He brought the wrong drink and when we told him he made no effort to correct the mistake even after several times asking him. At the time we were his only table. The manager in the lounge was very rude. She first gave us false information and then was made it seem like we were inconveniencing her by wanting to eat there. The rest of the staff however went out of their way to help at all times including the hostess at the restaurant. We would definitely return!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Fayetteville, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

Oceanfront Room - 2431 4th Floor

We arrived Monday @ 1600 exactly. Checked in with no problems and personnel behind the desk had smiles on their faces, making me seem like a valued guest. We parked in the 15 min spaces and unloaded bags and proceeded to our room. Room was NOT outdated as previous reviewers stated, instead, we were greeted by a 36" flatscreen t.v., newer dorm sized fridge, and two comfortable double beds. Room WAS clean and had no oder as reviews said. Housekeeping was stellar and arrived at 0900 on the dot every day. They also greeted us with smiles and kind words. Towels were replaced everyday, and when I asked for more, I asked for 4 extras, and was given 4 full sets of bath towels, washclothes, and hand towels. They always took out trash, and they vacuumed on day 2 only, as we weren't there that day, and other days we told them it wasn't needed. I would DEFINITELY go there again, and was actually madder at the persons giving bad reviews causing some travelers remorse before our vacation. I loved every minute of our stay. And, we traveled with another family who stayed in a room down the hall, and can say that our room was not an anomally.

Room Tip: It may be that ocean view are kept up with better, but I will go again, and we are already planning...
Danbury, Connecticut
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

We just got back and it is our third year. We stayed in Sand dunes before but then they told us that if we stay at the villas we would save $$ and it was a bigger room which it was not. The place was horrible as soon as you open the door roaches came out so that worried me to go to the room but we went and thought it was ok WRONG they came out GROSS. The maid did not clean our room and the following day had to call and they cleaned it at 4:30. Then my kids were going out to get stuff and walked into a smoke bomb with my husband which lead to my daughter having a bloody nose, that night found roach in bathroom, went to the front to complain and a young kid told me no manager was there to come back. I went in the am and guess what no manager the girl asked my name and then kept coming from the back probably talking to the manager. They told me we can spray your room but we don't have any other rooms and that it isn't there problem about the smoke bomb that I had video footage of and wouldn't check there cameras either. They do NOT CARE about there guest at all. Friends we went with called four times to make sure there room was all set and they got there and it wasn't the room they booked which they had to keep calling about to get the next day. The waterpark is nice that's about it.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Been to Sand Dunes Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!