“Don't listen to bad reviews” 4 of 5 stars

Sand Dunes Resort & Spa
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   201 74th Avenue North, Myrtle Beach, SC 29572   |
Ranked #116 of 215 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Howell, New Jersey
“Don't listen to bad reviews”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

Let me start by stating that I am glad we didn't listen to all of the bad reviews. It really wasn't as bad as all of the reviews said. I do agree that there are some updates needed, but overall it was a good experience. We ended up booking through Elliot Realty and saved hundreds of dollars. We didn't pay for the linens or cleaning services, so that saved us. Also, we didn't get the extras such as water park and other tickets, but really didn't need it. I come to the beach to enjoy the beach not for a water park. I can do that at home. And in my opionion, it isn't worth it. To put things in perspective, my family paid the same amount for a very roomy 3 bedroom condo as my cousin did with his 1 bedroom unit (he booked directly through the hotel). I don't think he used the onsite water park at all. My advice would be book through an agency such as Elliot Travel. We still were able to use the pools and smaller lazy river.

Unlike other reviewers, I will tell you that we stayed in unit 601 and it was huge and clean. There were a few downsides, Elliot Reality falsely advertised 4 queen beds & 2 doubles. That wasn't true, the beds were all double. Also, room could use some updates. The beds are on the older side, the covers/comforters and pillows need replacement badly (glad I brought some extra blankets and my own pillows), pull out sofa could be replaced (the mattress was worn). The kitchen needs more plates and other utensils as it wasn't enough for a party of 12 (if you advertise you can fit 14 people, you should have enough). Also, they ask you to clean but don't provide any mops or other cleaning products. We had to buy our own. But overall it was decent experience. Balcony was nice and we had a great oceanview. I would stay here again, and make sure I get this same room.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
Dalton, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

After reading many negative reviews I was nervous. We stayed Sunday to Sunday in a 3 bedroom condo. Our room was great and very clean! We loved the wrap around balcony and the 3 full baths. This hotel is perfect for anyone with children (ours ranged from 2-7). We all loved the water park which is free with your stay. You get 50% off entree at Mangoes on the Beach and kids eat breakfast free at the breakfast buffet. We also loved the prices and convenience of the little store they have on site. We did experience some rude workers our waiter at Mangoes was not friendly. He brought the wrong drink and when we told him he made no effort to correct the mistake even after several times asking him. At the time we were his only table. The manager in the lounge was very rude. She first gave us false information and then was made it seem like we were inconveniencing her by wanting to eat there. The rest of the staff however went out of their way to help at all times including the hostess at the restaurant. We would definitely return!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Fayetteville, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

Oceanfront Room - 2431 4th Floor

We arrived Monday @ 1600 exactly. Checked in with no problems and personnel behind the desk had smiles on their faces, making me seem like a valued guest. We parked in the 15 min spaces and unloaded bags and proceeded to our room. Room was NOT outdated as previous reviewers stated, instead, we were greeted by a 36" flatscreen t.v., newer dorm sized fridge, and two comfortable double beds. Room WAS clean and had no oder as reviews said. Housekeeping was stellar and arrived at 0900 on the dot every day. They also greeted us with smiles and kind words. Towels were replaced everyday, and when I asked for more, I asked for 4 extras, and was given 4 full sets of bath towels, washclothes, and hand towels. They always took out trash, and they vacuumed on day 2 only, as we weren't there that day, and other days we told them it wasn't needed. I would DEFINITELY go there again, and was actually madder at the persons giving bad reviews causing some travelers remorse before our vacation. I loved every minute of our stay. And, we traveled with another family who stayed in a room down the hall, and can say that our room was not an anomally.

Room Tip: It may be that ocean view are kept up with better, but I will go again, and we are already planning...
Danbury, Connecticut
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

We just got back and it is our third year. We stayed in Sand dunes before but then they told us that if we stay at the villas we would save $$ and it was a bigger room which it was not. The place was horrible as soon as you open the door roaches came out so that worried me to go to the room but we went and thought it was ok WRONG they came out GROSS. The maid did not clean our room and the following day had to call and they cleaned it at 4:30. Then my kids were going out to get stuff and walked into a smoke bomb with my husband which lead to my daughter having a bloody nose, that night found roach in bathroom, went to the front to complain and a young kid told me no manager was there to come back. I went in the am and guess what no manager the girl asked my name and then kept coming from the back probably talking to the manager. They told me we can spray your room but we don't have any other rooms and that it isn't there problem about the smoke bomb that I had video footage of and wouldn't check there cameras either. They do NOT CARE about there guest at all. Friends we went with called four times to make sure there room was all set and they got there and it wasn't the room they booked which they had to keep calling about to get the next day. The waterpark is nice that's about it.

Columbus, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

We are just finishing a week long stay at the Sand Dunes. After reading the reviews, I was quite concerned before arriving. We booked with a group for a softball tournament, and I wasn't sure what to expect.

The registration area is within a cul-de-sac that winds through the property. It is definitely a small space! The lobby area is quite nice and looks newly updated. We arrived early, and waited just a short time to check in. The clerk was very nice, and we were pleased to learn that our room was ready. We had requested an updated room at the time we reserved, and she said that it had been updated, but not recently. We carried about half of our things upstairs (no luggage rack or bellboy available at the time). When we walked into the room, the bad musty smell hit us like a punch in the face. The room was still dirty. One bed was made, the other was not. There were dirty dishes in the sink and in the refrigerator. There were wet towels all over the bathroom floor. It was as if someone started cleaning and was interrupted. We went back to the desk to request another room. We had to wait quite awhile while the clerk communicated with the cleaning staff. Eventually, she had another room ready. She was very apologetic and seemed quite embarrassed that she had placed us in a dirty room. The new room was great. We walked into the room, and it smelled clean and fresh. It was very clean, and looked like the kitchenette was recently updated. We later learned that two other families traveling with us had to change rooms immediately, as well. One family was given a suite that was missing a bathroom door, and the other had a broken balcony rail.

The room had a standard oceanfront view. The balcony was small, but the room was larger than expected. It was an oceanfront efficiency, basically a standard hotel room with a galley kitchenette. There were two bathroom sinks, which was nice. The kitchenette was standard, with a small fridge, microwave and stovetop. There was no oven. All kitchenware was basic. The beds were okay...nothing special. The room was quite clean and we saw no major problems throughout the stay. A big positive was the shower head. There was great water pressure and it really felt soothing on the back. Housekeeping was great. The staff was kind and efficient. We asked for extra towels at the front desk one evening. They were delivered within minutes and we even had a follow up call from the front desk shortly after to make sure we received them. Customer service was very good throughout our stay.

The elevators were very clean and ran quickly in our building, which was the main building also housing registration. Of course they were hot. It was very hot outside! The hotels in the parking garage and other buildings were much slower and not nearly as clean. Request the main building if your reservation allows. Also, the hotel guidebook is confusing about laundry. It stated that the laundry room was in another building on the third floor, so we walked back and forth to a small room with only one washer and dryer. We thought it was odd. Only later did we discover that there were small laundry rooms all over the property, including one about 10 steps from our door! So, don't make the same mistake we did!

The biggest downside to this hotel was the parking. It is a hot mess! The garage is indescribably tight. We drive a full size newer Chevy truck, and it was nearly impossible to navigate. There are a few awesome spots right behind the check in area by the water park. If you can find one there, grab it and keep it!

We didn't utilize much of the attractions included with the rental. Our team used the free batting cages, which were really just nets...no machines or balls, so take your own equipment. We didn't visit the water parks or use any of the tickets, so no comment there. Our daughter is a beach girl rather than a water park fan, but they would come in handy if your kids liked that kinda thing. A hotel this size really needs more water attractions. The Sand Dunes has one outdoor pool with 2 tiny kiddie pools and a small lazy river. There is an indoor pool with two VERY hot jacuzzis on the second floor. The guests share amenities with the Ocean Dunes next door, and there is an outdoor pool and kiddie pool there. The Ocean Dunes pool was deeper and not nearly as busy, so we spent some time there. I really wish the properties had at least one outdoor hot tub, but no. The water park on property was small and really geared toward younger children. It is facing the street rather than the ocean. Overall the pools and patios were very crowded and they need to expand these areas.

We didn't eat at either of the sit down restaurants. We did order from the Arcade Pizza Shop and the food was reasonably priced and actually quite good. They included a $5 off coupon and delivered to our room for free, which was a nice bonus. There is an oceanfront bar, Mango's, on the Sand Dunes side. If you want to sit on the patio and have a drink, you have to order from the bar. There are no coolers or outside drinks, including alcohol, allowed. Our friends were having a beer, and they were directed to a grassy area off of the main patio, which is bar property. If you have a cooler, you will have to drag a table and chairs to the grass. They DO enforce this strictly. There is another small bar by the pool on the Ocean Dunes side. They serve the same menu as the Arcade Pizza Shop, but you can sit at the bar and eat. It was a nice little bar area, and we had lunch there one day. Again, not nearly as crowded. If you want a frozen beach drink, go there instead of Mango's as they have many more choices.

Overall, after traveling to Myrtle for many years, I think this is your average older Myrtle property with the same basic rooms and amenities. Hotels like this are a dime a dozen on the strip. Nothing great, nothing terrible. The parking alone would keep me away with so many other similar choices in the area. Don't expect luxury because you won't find it here. However, it wasn't a terrible stay.

Room Tip: Choose a room in the main building. It is much cleaner, closer to pools and restaurants, and the el...
Salisbury, North Carolina, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

Stayed from Friday to Sunday for a ball tournament. We stayed in the more expensive Sand Dunes portion of the property. Even with the discounted rate for ball teams I don't think it's worth the price. It is a bit dated. The room was clean but needed some maintenance. Ceiling tiles needed cleaning. Loose ceramic tiles in floors and wall base. Elevator was creepy, took longer for door to open than to go 14 floors. A/C stopped working on the second night, staff was quick to respond, but the problem turned out to be something that could have been easily avoided if checked routinely. Pull out sleeper was very torn and worn out seriously in need of replacement. Cleaning staff did clean the room but didn't bring new towels. The amenity areas seemed very clean and comfortable. Plenty of space on the beach. Seemed like more work went into keeping up the amenity areas than the rooms. Everyone in our group stayed at either the Sand Dunes or Ocean Dunes and they all had some issue with their room.

Budd Lake, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

We stayed from Sunday to Sunday and the room was ok. It is somewhat dated and old but our maid kept the room clean and did her best to make sure we were satisfied. We had a problem with the shower head and it was corrected immediately. The front desk followed up with a phone call making sure I was happy with the response and action taken. Our room was ocean front and we had a great view. The room was labeled as a junior suite but I would rate it as just a double room. The restaurants on premises had good food and the "convenience" store was in fact convenient and reasonably priced. I would go back but I definitely will look for an updated property next time.

Room Tip: Stick with the hotel when reserving rooms. You can book through private owners but you have to clean...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Sands R, Digital Marketing Director at Sand Dunes Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
We are glad to hear that you had a good experience and that our team was very responsive to your requests. We hope that you will stay with us again! You may ask for an updated room next time and they will place you in one that has been more recently updated. We do try to do many updates during the off season. Thank you for leaving us your feedback we appreciate it!

Been to Sand Dunes Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!