“Horrible experience during the trip and after” 2 of 5 stars

Sand Dunes Resort & Spa
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   201 74th Avenue North, Myrtle Beach, SC 29572   |
Ranked #118 of 215 Hotels in Myrtle Beach
Indian Trail, North Carolina
“Horrible experience during the trip and after”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

Unfortunately for this hotel my cons have outweighed the pros. Pro---great view of the beach from the room, ample amt of beachfront that it wasn't crowded at all compared to other parts of the beach, the bell men were extremely helpful in helping to cart everything in and out and that is about it for good. Now the not so good, room was filthy, tub full of hair even hair tie left on spout from previous guests, yuck :-( Exhaust fan in bathroom did not work at all so after every shower it was very humid and sticky, toilet kept clogging, no linens for pull out, had 5 people in the room and only 3 sets of towels..EVERYDAY, even after housekeeping knew there were 5 of us, still left only 3 and then took 7 hours to get more. Restaurants were unheard of expensive, lunch for 5 with only 2 beers, 3 sodas and 5 sandwiches...$75. Glad I didn't eat dinner there. Breakfast was awful, small buffet and food not that great well not for $48 for 5 people. Very dated hotel, thought I read online that rooms were redone and updated, not so. And make sure you don't leave anything behind, left a tote bag behind, called hotel on Monday at noon. Had to wait for UPS Store to pick it up..Wednesday morning for a fee of $15, then $3 to package it and then $12.04 to ship UPS ground a 1.4 lb package, yup $30.04 for a hotel I just dumped over $950 in a weekend between room and dining to charge me to mail back to me. I spoke to others who have stayed at hotels and I, too, forgot something previously and was not charged at all to ship something to me that was left behind. But still $15 to pick it up, and the store is only 2 blocks from the hotel according to Lost and Found coordinator. Also upset that they quickly counted every person in my party at checkin and then charged me for an extra person although I had two kids under 18 that was not "free".Quick to charge for an extra person but not too quick to give enough linens for the extra PEOPLE. I do not recommend this hotel but if you should stay, do not forget nothing because it will only cost more.

Room Tip: Book from a private condo owner, only good reviews I see on here are those who did that.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

We stayed at the Sand Dunes for a week in August. We rented a room from a private owner (beautiful) so I can't comment on the accual rooms. We did meet a couple of families. One family told us that they found a roach carcus in their room. The sheets and blankets on the beds were also stained. They asked for another room and were given one with no problems. Another family was spending their third year there. The hotel is dated and needs some TLC. The pool and beach areas were nice. The pool stays open until 11pm which is a big plus.
The pool area was littered with cigarette butts. Even the lazy river which was for kids had butts around it. Grass, concrete, it didn't matter. There is a store on the premise which also stays open late.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Roanoke, Virginia, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

Although we weren't able to use the waterpark because we rented from a private condo owner, we still enjoyed the beachfront pool, lazy river, and indoor pool.

Our room was a beachfront suite and was well taken care of. Having a galley kitchen definitely helped us to save money by cooking meals and snacks when needed. The balcony view was gorgeous and we enjoyed many a morning - and evening - relaxing and watching the dolphins that were frequently sighted.
Typically I don't sleep well when traveling due to the discomfort of the beds. This experience was different. The beds were very comfortable.

The restaurant served good food at reasonable prices. The convenience store was... convenient :). And the game room was a fun way to spend some time out of the sun for a few.

Gorgeous view. Nice rooms. Friendly staff.

The main drawback was the parking. After around 8pm it became very difficult to find parking in the garage, or on the street. Otherwise, a WONDERFUL stay for our family with teens!

Northvale, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

It appears to me that the Sands hotel has gotten it's act together The check in process used to be an absolute disaster,this year it was great. I was so impressed. I asked who was now in charge of the front end because I wanted to compliment him on a job well done. This gentleman is Eddie. Our group of friends have been going to the Sand's for 15 years.Some of our friends have special needs when it comes to their rooms. We are a large group that usually stays around two weeks. Sandra Alltop and Steve Madert ,manager and assistant manager could not do enough to help these people out.When you walk into their office you are treated with the utmost respect and appreciation for staying at their hotel.
Mango's restaurant which is located in the hotel was fantastic. As a group we try to get out to different restaurants.Well, once we went to Mango's there was no need to go anywhere else.We had a group of 30 that went to Mango's four nights and not one complaint,The manager Chris got to know us and was extremely accommodating to us. This woman knows how to run this restaurant as good as any in NYC.One night we were on the late side and she greeted us and had the staff wait on us as if it were six in the evening.
The bar has some work to do.The service is par at best and you feel as if you have to pull words out the bartender's mouths.I think they need to be told everyday is Saturday when your on vacation,smile and be receptive to your customers.A little conversation is a good thing.
I really feel this is an older building that definitely has some ware and tare,but the staff does the best they can with what they have.Our group looks forward to returning next year for another fantastic vacation.
Mike O'R NJ

Room Tip: If you have kids the two bedroom is great
Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

It appears that you placed your review on the wrong resort. This is in Myrtle Beach and is a wonderful place to stay. Each unit is individually owned so when you find a room you like you can request to always stay there when you come. My son lovvves the waterpark/lazy river area!!! And the Sands Club they do is great my son wanted to go everyday. It's free to the guest and goes from 10-4 and they do crafts. play in the water park, beach games, scavenger hunts(my sons favorite) make tye dyed t-shirts, lots more. Also they say they are going to have a climbing wall, zip-line, and archery added for next year. They have so many pools to choose (5) from that we never found it to crowded. i love being able to walk to the store and some restaurants but still be a way from the madness of down town. Perfect for us!!

Room Tip: I liked the higher 12th floor because you could see the beautiful sunrise and fireworks.
Columbus
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

We had our family reunion here in July. The place was extremely busy since this is a peak season for family vacations. The check in process was a little hectic right at 4 p.m. since this is when everyone arrives. The hotel is older so there were elevator problems throughout the weekend. The elevators stopped working and people had to take the stairs. Overall, it was a decent stay and the family had a great time.

Positives:
Location is great because it s right on the beach.
Mangoes Beach Bar had karaoke, which was fun.
Brass Anchor- great breakfast buffet at an affordable price and kids under 12 eat free.
Lots of pools, water parks, and included activities for all ages available (off site waterpark, cruises, and other activities.
Great pizza too!

Negatives:
Parking was a nightmare..garage is dark and narrow,
Staff is not vey friendly and most don't speak English very well.
Customer service is not that great here.
A little expensive but this is due to the cost of activities included in the price.

Room Tip: Be patient with staff.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Staten Island, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

This was my first experience staying at Sand Dunes Resort & Spa!!! It will definitely be my last. This place is in dire need of an upgrade. To call it a RESORT is an understatement to say the least. There were approximately 100 of us staying here for one of our family reunions and at least 10 of us had to get our rooms changed for one reason or another. When I walked into my room the initial reaction was "this is nice" but as you go further into it... the drawers were broken and hanging off the dresser and the closet was off the hook. The chairs had stains on them that had me scared to sit down...i had to put a towel on it before I did. They were very cheap with the toilet paper which I found disheartening. The room i had, had one and a half bathrooms and I had to go to front desk and get tissue because one had one full roll (there were two tissue holders in each bathroom) and the other had half a roll with no spares in the room. For the money that they charged I guess I expected much more than what they offered. When I think of Resort and Spa, I'm looking for classy and upscale, this place was very outdated. I had to change my room 4 times in order to get one where nothing was broken and everything matched and that took all of four hours.

Now on the positive side, there was a lot of things to do in the area that kept all my family members entertained. And I must say, that the food that was prepared for our family banquet night was "phenomenal". In the end, they did give all of us that were inconvenienced some monies back. I will never stay here again.... WASN'T WORTH IT!!

Room Tip: If you do choose to stay at the Sand Dunes, get the rooms that have multiple bedrooms (2 and 3) they...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Sand Dunes Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!