“Had a great time in SC but this Resort should not be a Gold Resort!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Ellington at Wachesaw Plantation East

You added Ellington at Wachesaw Plantation East to your Saves list
Ellington at Wachesaw Plantation East
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   911 Riverwood Drive, Murrells Inlet, SC 29576   |
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Murrells Inlet
Berkeley Heights, New Jersey
“Had a great time in SC but this Resort should not be a Gold Resort!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2009

This Resort should not be an Interval Gold Resort because there units eventhough they said they have updated a couple of years ago needs a lot of updating the bathrooms are not luxurious and are dingy white and there was many marks on the wall and patched up fix up jobs that was so obvious as soon as you walk in. The cleaning service needs to pay attention to detail there was alot of dust and dirt that can be seen under the end tables and other furniture.

How can this Resort be on the same level as a Marriott/Westin or Hyatt??

These were smoke free units but they are able to smoke in the screen porch and due to the close proximity we could not enjoy the porch because it was too smokey for us and with Asthma that would not be good. The ground crew and maintenance people were constantly walking around smoking near entrances.

Why have a tidy up day? The tidy up day was very disappointing because they only made beds in one bedroom and did not even go into the second bedroom and left garbage and also left sofa pillows on the floor - this was a waste. I called the front desk and they were very nice and said they would send the maids back but I told her - It doesn't pay now I was very disappointed. Also the maids left the garbage bags in the hallway so we had to walk past all the garbage to get into our unit.

After reading the posts about the towels I put the towels in the wash and kept them in the dryer during the tidy up day and the maids left all new towels and we still had the ones we washed.

The pool was nice but there was no lifeguard which is Ok but there was no staff that was close by if there was any emergency or if there was something that needed to be done for the pool. We saw many babies go in the pool with no swim diapers and there was nobody there to enforce any rules and make sure the pool was safe for other swimmers.

The front desk/ concierge/activity director was very nice and helpful. They did not push their sales tours which was very nice.

They are very convenient to all great restaurants and activities. We loved the Huntington Beach and it was great to get the free pass for the week.
We recommend to go to eat dinner at Hasner House Family Restaurant in Pawley's Island - The staff is excellent and the food was very fresh and out of this world!! We ate here 2 nights they are kid friendly. We liked the Spring House for breakfast.

Seafare was very expensive even after the coupons that you get from the resort and the buffet was OK.

We actually liked Ryans Buffet and for Chinese Buffet we ate at Ocean Garden Buffet on Rt 17 Business in Surfside Beach they had a great selection and was very clean.

We didn't like Prossers they advertise BBQ but when we went for lunch the buffet is in the smoking section which was bad and then there was no BBQ- very disappointing.

We had a great vacation in South Carolina but would probably not stay at this resort again.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2009

The pros: comfortable and spacious two bedroom units. Nice screened in porch. pretty golf course. quiet and peaceful. Close to restaurants and a very nice beach!
The cons: no bells and whistles or frills. Small pools. Not much to do for kids. no internet access (unless you pay a huge amount of $). None of the remote controls worked in our room. more like a 3 star, not a five star by any stretch of the imagination.
Big con: the timeshare preview. Don't do it. Salespeople were not nice. They turn on you if you say "no." Our sale's lady did not even want me to leave to change my 1 year old daughter. Claimed she would lose her job. What baloney! There are much better resorts in the area that I would own at, like Marriott's Ocean Watch Villas. Never would own at this one.
I recommend the resort for much older people (over the age of 65) who just want to be away from the hustle and bustle of greater myrtle beach.

Flanders, NJ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2009

First off Interval needs to review there rating system if they are giving this place a 5 star review. It wasn't terrible and it wasnt great. Room is no frills compared to other Interval locations I have stayed at. There was no safe in the room so I had to find a hiding place for my cash since I did not want to carry all my money with me to the beach everyday. No free internet access, they charge $40 a week for access which is just crazy considering I pay $29 for a month at home for broadband access. On Thursday they come by to tidy up the unit for you. they take your towels and wash them and bring them back, or so they say. They took mine but failed to return them. Finally at around 7:00 PM I called the front desk and was told housekeeping had left for the day and if I needed towels I would have to go to the front desk and get them myself. Excuse me? Housekeeping took every towel in my unit and I have to go to the office to get them back? Again, not a terrible place to stay, it fit my families needs and the free pass to the state park was a plus. Would I stay here again? I guess if all the other places were sold out I would but it is not my first choice.

State College, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2009

We had a two-bedroom unit on exchange through Interval, and it was a very nicely furnished unit with tasteful decor. It was clean and well-stocked with plenty of dishes and silverware, etc. I don't think this resort compares to the top five-star (or Gold Crown) resorts where we have stayed in the past, but it certainly was a very comfortable place to vacation for a week. We are not golfers, but I'm sure anyone who golfs would have loved the course on premises with plenty of golfcarts and the clubhouse. We used one of the two outdoor pools and the hot tub, which was just a few steps from our building. The beach at Huntingdon Beach State Park is a 3-mile drive south of the resort, and the resort will give you a car pass for the week. We went every day, and the beach there is beautiful and clean. There are lifeguards, and there are bathrooms, picnic tables, a small pavilion and even a park giftshop. To reach the beach you pass over a causeway over a marsh on the inlet, and there we saw alligators from our car every day!

My only complaint about the resort, and I consider this to be minor, was that the towel supply was kind of skimpy for the occupancy of a 2-bedroom unit. We had five people, and we basically had just one hand towel, bath towel and washcloth per person from Sunday until Thursday, when they did a towel exchange. Somehow we didn't get our clean towels and asked a housekeeping person late in the afternoon about them, but she couldn't get us any more at that point. So we called the front desk, and they said they could get us more, and we did get some pool towels (smaller than bath towels) and a few washcloths, but no hand towels until the next day. I suppose we could have washed some towels ourselves since there is a good-sized washer and dryer in the unit, but why bother if we were supposed to get a fresh supply anyway? Oh, well, it wasn't a major issue.

There are many fine seafood restaurants in Murrells Inlet. Be sure to do the "marshwalk" around the inlet where all the restaurants with outdoor decks, bands, live music, boats, crafts are located. This is a very pleasant way to spend an evening, away from the crowds of Myrtle Beach. We ate at Drunken Jack's, Prosser's Barbeque, Cedar Hill Landing Oyster Roast, and Creek Ratz. Prices are very reasonable and the seafood is fresh and mainly prepared in the Calabash (light flour dredged) manner. There is also a nice gift shop called The Lazy Gator right across from the restaurants.

The unit had three flat screen TVs, one in each bedroom, and a nice screened-in porch with a good-size table and four chairs as well as a ceiling fan. We were on a second-floor unit, which I preferred since I think it would be a little noisy to be on the first floor.

All in all, we had a great stay and would return to this resort again.

Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2009

We travel to Myrtle Beach every year with family and stay at Ellington. We absolutely love it here. While it is a no frills kind of place (pool and golf only), the accomodations are EXCELLENT. They have always been VERY clean and roomy. We love the fact that it is off the beaten path in the less crowded Murrell's Inlet area, where the food is OUTSTANDING!!! Try Bovine's! It's the best. We also love the Huntington Beach State Park down the road, to which Ellington provides passes. I don't understand the negative comments, unless people are used to the water-park-next-door thing or didn't read that it isn't on the beach.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2009

My wife and I spent a week at Ellington wachesaw Plantation from June 14 to June 20, 2009 with Time Sharing. My experience can be summed up in 1 word "PERFECT".
The room was ready , the check in was excellent, the room was clean and very very nice, and everything as far as kitchen items, bathroom products, washer, dryer, and just everything was perfect. the golf course was beautiful as well as the whole facility. After reading so many negative reviews about this place, I personally was expecting the worse. But to our surprise it was just the opposite. I would definetly go back again and recommend it.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Wichita
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2009

After reading the reviews, I was somewhat hesitant about our stay at Ellington. But it turned out to be good. Yes, it is not a 5 star resort but did not expect that in a timeshare exchange. The accommodations were good. We had a one bedroom and it worked great for us. The rooms could use a little sprucing up, but were not that bad. We had a kitchen and washer/dryer so we could not complain. The wood floors were somewhat sticky and dirty feeling but am guessing that is due to what they use on them to maintain them with so many visitors. Thoroughly enjoyed having the screened in porch and used it often.

We used the pool quite often and the kids loved it. There is also a small playground and it was nice for our young children to use for play. There is also a very small video arcade. We did not take advantage of the activities but thought it was great to see the resort have them. We did use the discounts offered for putt-putt and groceries. My husband and I did use the fitness center but it was somewhat lacking. The treadmill was not working.

Overall, I would stay there again. I like the location. It was a little hard to find by the directions but figured it out quickly. We were only called once about the survey and never did respond. We did not have much interaction with the staff but the little we did have was fine.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family

Been to Ellington at Wachesaw Plantation East? Share your experiences!