“Nicer looking - average food” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Myrtle Beach, SC
“Nicer looking - average food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

Went back for a second time after the Restaurant Impossible conversion. While the restaurant itself is much more appealing from an eye pleasing view, the menu has been reduced significantly and I hate to say it (as I had been going to the restaurant several times a year over the last 10 yrs) but the menu choices are just too limited. The wait staff was undermaned on a Tuesday night with the restaurant just about full around 7 pm. The result was very slow service. There were 4 of us in the party and we all had different entrees. Each said the food was "ok" but nothing to rave about. There are too many other italian restaurants in the area so we will not be returning.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

SC
“Supurb local restaurant with friendly staff - tasty food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

We went to Old World on a medium-busy Wednesday night. The new décor was a very nice improvement. We have dined here off an on for the past several years; the new décor was most welcome, open, airy, spacious. The patrons were a mix of couples, small groups, and one larger family of about 14 people. My guess is a combination of visitors and locals. Noise level was subdued, a real plus for us.

The new menu, and especially the food, were a delight. Specifically, we had Chicken Francese and Eggplant Parmigana. Wife had a small salad. Bill was $33 for two. (We added two glasses of wine for $13 more.) OK, the food! The chicken was flavored very nicely - tasty lemon seasoning with capers and spinach. The Eggplant Parmigana was also very flavorful, especially the marinara sauce. Portions were generous to our thinking; we took home some of our meals for later enjoyment. Service was friendly and responsive to our requests. We will most definitely return.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Columbia, South Carolina, United States
“Great Italian food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Ate here over the 4th of July holiday and it was excellent. Did not discover that it was a Restaurant Impossible success story until a day or two later. Absolutely delicious! Will be back to eat there next time!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
san diego
“BEST ITALIAN in MYRTLE!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

I was skeptical at first. The fact that the restaurant is in a strip mall and it doesn't really stand out, not to mention, I only heard about it by watching it on "Restaurant Impossible" where Robert Irvine, went in and made basically some physical changes to the restaurant. I am from Pgh but have a second home in Myrtle and have been coming here for over 24 years. I have never been to the place. But, I am ITALIAN and I pride myself in recognizing good cooking. So here it is, no kidding:
The MEATBALL - melt in your mouth and are the best I've ever had!
The Eggplant Parm - again, I can't get enough and the flavor blends are terrific, cheese, sauce and eggplant.
The Wedding Soup - I had long ago given up on "fake" Italian triers and make my own; but yes, they trumped my own and I love it.
The Spaghetti and meatballs meal - my husband orders extra meatballs because he can't get enough.
THANK you OLD WORLD ITALIAN for proving that it can be done and you do prove it - hands down. I love your place, I will tell everyone I know about it and I pray you stay in the business. Best wishes for success - and I'll BE BACK with my family whenever we are in Mrytle.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Ontario, Canada
“Don't bother”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

I'm not one for chain restaurants but do yourself a favor and just go to Carrabba's next-door. My salad was so sopping and vinegary that I couldnt finish it, I ordered pasta with veal picatta: pasta sauce did not taste homemade, and the veal sauce had so much salt in it I nearly choked. The one dessert I wanted they did not have. Waiter was poor, maybe new? and did not offer specials to me, as I heard other servers mentioning to their tables, brought the bread after the salad?? I would not return, there are so many other great Italian restaurants in Myrtle Beach.

• Visited June 2013