“One of the Beautiful places I've Seen,My Second Trip was a Healing Spititual Exerience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Brookgreen Gardens

Improve this listing
Type: Art Museums, Gardens, Outdoors
Activities: Picnicking
More attraction details
Owner description: A beautiful 9,170-acre green park located 16 miles south of Myrtle Beach.
Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

I Visited Brookgreen Gardens for the first time about 15yrs ago.
I had gone with two friends and their families.
I had never heard of the place,and literally stumble across it with two of their teenage sons.
I was trying to find some activity that would keep there minds stimulated and too keep them out of trouble.The three off use really enjoyed it,and it was very educational,as well as a calming and a relaxing escape from the rat race of the modern world with all its worries and distractions.
Both the families were amazed,when their two teenage sons came back filled with so much fasinating,they went on about it for days.
We only went the one day but it made an impression on the three of use that has lasted a lifetime.
We only saw a very small part of the gardens,in the few hours that we were there,but it's magic
had become apart of us.
I travel alot and have all over Central America,to Beautiful Mayan Ruins in Belize,Gautamala,and Southern Mexico.
I had just return from a three week trip to Chaco Canyon,in New Mexico and Mesa Verde in Colorado.in May 2012
So I have saw alot of beautiful places in my life thus far
But None match the magic of Brookgreen Gardens SC.
My second trip was in July of 2012,and it was as spontanious as the first.
Me and a friend went to Charleston,Sc for a few day and then decide to go to Myrtle Beach for a few day.
( Note,One of the teenage boys from my first trip had passed away in April of 2012,from a drug overdose at age 32,and it was a huge loss of to me,as well as so many other.)
As I drove North from Charston,Sc,my mind was called back to Brookgreen Gardens an it's beauty and majesty.
It was if though I was being pulled back there,I told the friend that was with me about it and about the first time that I had went there,and about how I felt that I needed to go there again.
So we decided to stop in Murrells Inlet,and go there again.
It's fourteen dollars for a seven day pass to the complete site.
Where else can you get really good clean relaxing,educational fun for two dollars a day?
I was'nt prepared for the first day there,or all the emotions that I would fell or all the Blessings that I received that day and the following week.
I had skipped the fifteen min history film the first time there,but decided to go ahead and see it this time.
The following is a poem that's on the fifteen minute film about the gardens,it is also on a wall in the garden along with several other poems.

Inscription for a Garden Gate

Pause,friend,and read before you enter here.
This vine-clad wall encloses holy ground.
Herein a mellowed garden dreams away the years.
Steeped in serene,sweet light and muted sound.
Herein tranquility and peace abide.
For God walks here at cool of evening-tide.

Pause,friend,and strip from out your heart.
All vanity,all bitterness,all hate;
Quench, for this hour,the fever of your fears.
Then,treading softly,pass within this gate.
There, where the ancient trees wait,hushed and dim.
May you find God, and walk awhile with Him.

Pearl Council Hiatt

I knew at that moment,why I was there again,
I began to uncontrollably weep,shake and cry.
My friend setting beside me said nothing.
I wanted to get up and run up out of there,but I didn't.
I finished the film,then went outside leaned up against a stone pillar, and had a really good cry.
I had never really moured the death of my friend,and had been carrying him around with me since his untimely death earlier that year.
There amoung those ancient oaks,and beauitful flowers,and Sculpture,I felt as though he let go of me;and I could see him running along the open yards ad gardens.
We stayed the week,and returned everyday;and I have to save it is one of the most unique places that I've ever been.
The flora may not be named but who care.
You will never find a place with so much different flora, fountains,and sculptures in one place,the place is set on 10,000 acres,and it also the only certified zoo in South Carolna.
It has something for everyone of all ages,but there is a lot of walking but take your time.
You can't see it all in seven days.
Would recommend to anyone and everyone
you cant go wrong
Tim N T

Visited July 2012

Marion, North Carolina
7 attraction reviews
“Beautiful Gardens!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

The guided tour was so informative! You don't have to take the guided tour, but since it was our first time, we thought that it would be wise. The flowers are so beautiful and the artwork is unreal! It boggles your mind to see gardens so beautiful! We enjoyed it immensely!

Visited May 2012
Florence, South Carolina
20 attraction reviews
“Three score of fun.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

I've been going here since 1949. It has always amazed and intrigued, but it gets better and better. It is the Carolina's finest attraction and one of the USA's unsung treasures.
Fine sculpture, appealing zoo, tranquil setting, unique history, things to buy, things to do, appeals to all ages. Easy strolling, so age or infirmity are no barrier to the pleasure. What's not to like ?

Visited April 2012
Frederick
260 attraction reviews
“Beautiful Even Off Season”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

We spent 5 hours here during our MB stay and loved it. The grounds occupy 9,000 acres, complete with an extensive sculpture garden, local animal zoo, butterfly enclosure, aviary, creek boat ride with narrated tour of local rice farming, and live animal "meet and greet" in the learning lab of the zoo. We got to see the cutest little screech owl who studied the trainer as she walked around the room showing her off to the crowd. As it warmed up later in the day we took the creek tour which was the highlight for hubby. He spotted a great blue heron immediately. I enjoyed walking around the zoo with the volunteers who fed the animals their morning snack. The ticket there is good for 7 days and though we only had one day, we did a lot.

Visited November 2012
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
3 attraction reviews
“Beautiful Gardens and Sculpture--Worth a Trip!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

We visited Brookgreen Gardens during our Thanksgiving week trip to Myrtle Beach. Murrells Inlet is only about a 30 minute drive from Myrtle Beach.

The gardens and sculpture were beautiful and the tour guide we had was interesting and very knowledgable. We had lunch at the restaurant on site and the food was delicious and reasonably priced. I would recommend the she crab soup.

I had foot surgery recently and walking is a challenge at this time, but the gardens had lots of adult strollers, so I was able to see most of the property with the help of my husband who pushed! There were also strollers available for children.

The zoo was especially interesting--it featured animals that inhabited the area before plantations. The aviary was amazing!

The tickets were good for a week, and if we had been staying in the area longer, we would have returned.

Visited November 2012