“Depends What You're Looking For” 1 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #222 of 274 Restaurants in Mount Pleasant
Cuisines: Spanish
Charleston, SC
“Depends What You're Looking For”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2010

If you're looking for a place to go hang out at night with the bartenders and their friends(the only people who go there) and pay 4 or 5 bucks a beer, then Hatchell's is the place for you. If you're looking for food that comes out of a freezer and is dropped into a fryer, then hatchell's is for you. If you're looking for reasonably priced drinks and good food, then i recommend you trying any of the other restaurants in Town Center. For instance the new Guy Harvey Grill, or PF Chang's, or even Friday's is better, which isn't saying much.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Topsail Beach, North Carolina
“Some good, some not so good”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2010

Had the fish with a white wine sauce and pesto--I remember it as being grouper, my wife said "snapper". She's probably right. Very good blend of favors and once home I tried to duplicate it (with grouper, next time with snapper). She had the green fried tomatoes--okay but too thick of a breading. We also had the southwest spring rolls--fairly good, but too thick of a breading/spring roll. Good bottle of wine. Their computer went out so there was a delay then ended up paying in cash rather than a credit card. Young waitress pleasant, fairly efficient, but not knowledgeable beyond the menu description. Ate outside on the sidewalk--my wife said that she couldn't have eaten inside because of the "old bar smell". Beautiful day and temperature so not a problem. Might well eat there again for a lunch--never a dinner.

Charleston, SC
“Do Not waste your money!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2010

Anybody writing a review here about how great Hatchell's is, must work there! I have to admit that I've been there more than once (3 times) because it's right by the Mt.Pleasant movie theater. Anyway, if you want to play pool or darts-it's your place. The games are upstairs in a lounge like atmosphere. If you go for the games, just make sure you eat and drink somewhere else before you get there because if you dont like eating slop or spending a fortune on an alcoholic drink-- STAY AWAY FROM HATCHELL's. It's so bad that we were at another location in mt. Pleasant talking about a bad restaurant experience and the woman said 'let me guess, you went to Hatchell's" -ha! Now how did she know? One example - The last time we were there, we asked to see a manager and he came over-- not to apologize for the service and food but to tell us that we were wrong..he actually argued with us. Heed this warning restaurant goers.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
columbia, sc
“Awful!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2008

My husband and I eat out regularly, home and away, and I can honestly say this was one of the worst meals we have ever had. We sent two of our four tapas (crab cake and chicken quesadilla) back to the kitchen because the flavors were so unappetizing. The two we kept were edible, but not wonderful.The crab cake tasted like a fish cake - no sweet crab flavor at all. Before I ordered, I asked our sever if all of the seafood was fresh - he assured me it was. When I complained about the taste of the crab cake, I was informed it was canned. The chicken quesadilla tasted like boiled chicken and raw onion. The most disappointing part of the experience was the response of the management. When we sent back two dishes, the manager came over to talk to us. He defended the preparation/flavor of the dishes, and then said he could take them off of our bill - but only because we did not eat them. There was no apology, no offer to try something different...no effort to retain our business. We visit Mt.Pleasant/IOP at least once a year, and have eaten at 15+ restaurants in the area through the years...we will never return to Hatchell's. There are many great choices in the area, but this is not one of them. I suppose they are able to stay in business through unknowing tourists. If this place depended on locals it would have closed long ago.

carolina del sur
“Fun place with Great food and Service!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2008

I love this place!! It has great food, lots of great choices and everything we have tried has been great. It's a casual place, with a great atmosphere any time of day. Many people seem to come alone just to have a drink and people watch. The crabcakes are great, as are the sandwiches, and we especially liked the cheesecake! It's a great place for a bite to eat before or after a movie. The servers are very personable and capable. We will definitely go back again ( and again!!)