“Dissappointed in the food - Interesting venue though” 1 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
Sydney Australia
“Dissappointed in the food - Interesting venue though”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2011

Read the reviews & other info & thought it would be a worth the trip. Unfortunately not. I ordered the cosmic hot dog - with sweetpotatoe mustard and blue coleslaw - unfortunately it was half gone before I worked out they'de got the order wrong, (not badly, but it was missing the sweetpotatoemustard that I wanted to try as they also sell this mustard by the jar, & there was a pickle with this one & I don't like pickles). But anyway I liked the blue cheese dressing coleslaw. The bun was fresh & the hot dog was - well - ok- could have been warmer - but it was just an average hot dog - it was edible & I was hungry, and at $2.95 you can't complain. My partner had the Galactic Dog - he was dissapointed as he luves hot dogs & chilli - his comment was edible but tasteless. (if it had been good he would probably have had 3! We tried the fries as the review said they were the best - sadly again they were just ok, not good enough to finish between us though. we got them with cheese (which was actually just cheese sauce). I was expecting us to be getting another round as we were both hungry and it was a bit of a drive - but neither of us wanted anything else. The environment is great though - plenty of large antiques to look at, quite eccelectic. There were several mums with young kids & they all seemed to like it. I think this must have had good quality food at one time as there are lots of reviews around, but sadly the food didn't do it for us. (though we did go to Arbys afterwards because I was still hungry!). So go if all you want is a hotdog and some different scenery. but don't go expecting it to be a really tasty hot dog, because you'll probably get better ones at the next ball game. They do have some vegetarian options though - both soy and tofu as well as - bunny in a bun 'grilled carrot topped with coleslaw' $1.95 well, its cheap.

• Visited August 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Nashville, Tennessee
“A Must for hot dog Connoisseurs”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2011

Bottom Line Up Front: If you want something a little different, that is not expensive, and you are around Mount Pleasant or Folly Beach, visit Jack's Cosmic Dogs (JCD) - if you like hot dogs. If you don't like hot dogs, keep driving. The menu is all about hot-dogs.

My wife and teenage daughters LOVE JCD. I don't know why - it's a hot dog stand. They even bought t-shirts. Every time we go to Charleston, we have to visit JCD in Mount Pleasant or Folly Beach. Did I write that when we return home, we HAVE to stop drive through Atlanta in order to stop at the Varsity and eat hot dogs?

In any case . . . the Folly Beach has more of a 1960's beach atmosphere. The Mount Pleasant location has more of a "rural-coastal-shack" motif. Both locations save money by not wasting energy on too much air-conditioning.

For some insane reason, I went on vacation with 5 females (one wife, two daughters, and two friends' of daughters) and myself (the dad). Dealing with 5 females at chow-time is always a hassle because that is when hormonal passive-aggressive domination comes into play. One of the girls decided she didn't like hot dogs. Oh . . . my . . . gawd! What ten year-old doesn't eat hot dogs? The menu at JCD is very, VERY limited for non-hot dog eaters. If you go to JCD, plan on eating a hot dog.

I like JCD's. It's fun and a neat place. Every time we have been there, the staff has been friendly, accommodating, and fun - even when busy. Would I drive out of my way for JCD? Nope. Will my wife and daughter, definitely!

• Visited July 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Albion, New York
“YUM!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2011

We have been wanting to come here ever since we saw it on "Best thing I ever ate" on Food Network!

We were NOT disappointed. The hotdogs were great! Neither of us had ever had a hot dog with so much stuff on it, but we were brave and we loved it! The french fries are quite possibly the best we've ever had. The homemade root beer is delicious too!

One of us had the Sky Dog and the other the Galatic Dog. YUM. YUM. YUM. :)

The restaurant is really cool too. Reminds us of old drive ins the way they used to be. The staff was very pleasant and understanding while we stared at the menu trying to decide what to have!

• Visited May 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Branford, Connecticut
“A real weiner!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2011

Jack's Cosmic dogs is a great little hot dog shack. It's not your normal hot dog, mustard and onions place. The hot dogs are steamed and placed in an over sized bun so the toppings fit. Grab a fork, you'll need it. Blue cheese cole slaw, sweet potato mustard, the choices are amazing. It takes a while just to figure out all the choices you can get on a hot dog. Fries were deep brown and really hot. The decor is 1950's and fun to see. Great place for a quick snack, lunch or dinner. There are also vegan choices you don't see very often. Good place to take the kids and you can eat outdoors at a few tables.

• Visited April 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Byron Center, Michigan
“not that special or unusual”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2010

jack's was a dive, really. we tried the galactic dog and the cosmic dog. their blue cheese slaw is good but they don't really give you a lot of topping. we tried slaw, mustard and chile and it wasn't even messy. but is was handable and that's not all bad. the kid taking our order was really helpful. we were thrown off because we had been on the net and wanted the neutron dog. come to find out, the owner is just thinking that up and has not decided on the ingredients or at least gotten them in stock. it is jack's mango peppa ketchup and jalapeno slaw. hurry up, jack. don't get that on your menu until you really have it available, huh? the place was full of kids. nothing fancy. it's ok. not that unusual nor terrific, but doable. i don't think a hot dog is worth $3 but maybe i'm just out of touch. people were getting ice cream cones since they have soft serve. i wouldn't go back since i have now experienced it and it just wasn't as special as i thought it would be. i also don't like fighting flies when i eat. yucky. let's say i wouldn't send a friend there on purpose.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere