“Best lunch in a while...” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: American, Barbecue, Hamburgers, Family Fare
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night
Description: A South Carolina tradition since 1939, Melvin Bessinger's Bar-B-Q Restaurants are beloved and famous for our St. Louis style pork ribs, chicken and "Best BBQ in Charleston". But don't take our word for it, come on down and experience the flavor at one of two locations, in Mt. Pleasant and James Island. Thank you for your continued support, y'all!
New York City, New York
“Best lunch in a while...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

I was visiting Charleston from NYC and was lucky to have a close friend who lives in town. During our round of golf, my friend told me about a sandwich that I absolutely had to have. I was not to even look at the menu, he would order for me. He also had to get extras for his family cause "if he went to Melvin's and did not come home with sandwiches for everyone there would be a fight". While waiting for our food we filled our plates with some free side items such as pickles, cauliflower and an assortment of peppers. It was a serve yourself small food bar that was free, fresh and pretty awesome. Then the sandwiches arrived. My friend ordered me the pulled pork sandwich with slaw, mustard sauce and pickles. The sandwich was awesome. I inhaled it. Good quality meat and fresh ingredients. My side of onion rings was also very good, but consisted of only 2, yes 2, onion rings. They were big and battery and excellent... but just 2. This lunch was absolutely perfect, well maybe one more onion ring, but man, the best lunch I have had in a while. On top of the great food, you get free refills on your sweet tea and I am assuming sodas as well. Keep in mind that this is fast food, but it is as good a fast food as you can get. Excellent experience. I was only sad that I was not able to eat there again as I was leaving the next day. Almost went out of my way to get lunch on the way to the airport but chose to not cut it close on my flight. I can't stop thinking about how well this place would do in NYC.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

mt pleasant
“pretty good - skip the sauce - get it naked”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

pretty good bbq for the money - service is a little slow, and they mentioned that they are breaking in some new people. good bbq should not need sauce - although they have a few choices - experiment with the meat alone before dousing it with sauce. the onion rings are to die for. enjoy

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Burke, Virginia
“It's the Pits”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

Melvin's Pit Masters know their way around the pits. The meats have a nice bark and excellent flavor. The sauces either the red or the mustard have a nice tang and do not over power the meats. Bring a big appetite, because you are going to need it. The sides are large and flavorful.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Fort Lauderda
“A most try!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

Delicious southern flavors. For fast food the service is somehow slow, but the food is really good worth the wait. Kids friendly.

Visited August 2013
Reading, Pennsylvania
“Reminds me of a restaurant chain”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

This was good barbeque but was similar to Smoky Bones. There is a better BBQ place in Pennsylvania. I thought the South would be hard to beat. Everything was done well but was pretty expensive for what you got. I appreciate that it's family run and the third generation is running the business so many years later. Still just average and similar to a chain. Service was take out and the young people serving were inexperienced and took a while to get everything together.

• 3 of 5 stars Food