“Good But Uninspiring” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Rockville, MD
“Good But Uninspiring”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

Our family of four each ordered a different dish and each enjoyed their selection. That being said, there were no "wow's" here. So, if you want a solid asian restaurant, this is a good bet just don't expect anything more than that, which is okay.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

46% Recommend
Murrells Inlet, South Carolina
“Decent Shumai and Sushi”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

When it is busy, expect to wait. But wait is worth it as the My My Mahi was excellent as was the Emperor roll. We had an order of the Shumai and house salads w/ ginger that were well appointed with cucumbers and tomato. Eel was so good we had 4 pieces and added the smoked salmon. The conch was just OK.

Our server was OK, but the hostesses were very pleasant. Reserve a table on OpenTable for 100 points.

Saleeby Score: Food: 7/10, Service 6/10.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Charleston, SC
“There are better Japanese places in Mt. P.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

I've been to Tsunami's on many many occasions. It's never my first choice for sushi in Mt. P, but I often find myself there because it is close to Palmetto Grande (movie theater next door) and they very often are offering a Groupon.

Tsunami's isn't the worst place in the world to get sushi, and it is certainly edible...but go somewhere else if you can. Actually, the sushi isn't my biggest beef with Tsunami's, its the hibachi. It is downright terrible. Please, if you find yourself at Tsunami's, do not get any of the hibachi dinners. The rice is really oily, and the grilled veggies and meat taste like propane.

I do have to give them some recognition for remodeling the space a bit and adding more tables. They used to have a stage at the far end of the dining area, that took up a lot of room. The service has also been better in more recent years. I don't know if it underwent a change in management but the servers are a lot more attentive than they used to be and I think the communication between the servers and the hostesses has also improved.

I cannot comment on the bar scene here, but every time we have gone in the past, it seems to be a busy section and a lively crowd. The bar area is ample and is sectioned away from the main dining area. They have some covered outdoor seating, which I believe is mainly used as a smoking section.

If you are specifically looking for good sushi in Mt. P, try Locals Bar or Tropical Sushi. If you are out to have some OK sushi with some cocktails, then Tsunami's will fit the bill just fine.

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Charleston, South Carolina
“Excellent!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

We went here for lunch using a Living Social voucher. What a find! Since we're new to the area, we likely never would have found this delightful restaurant in a shopping center. The sushi was great, the staff attentive (the manager even came over to check on us) and the atmosphere very nice. I was surprised to see a few negative reviews; we were very pleased and we've been to many sushi restaurants on the East Coast. We'll come back for lunch and dinner.

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Watch our for the double tip”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

I went there with a party of six. I have always thought that they will add when parties of 8 or more are dining. But with six, this is new. And quite sneaky. I received my check and they added a "large Party Service 358626" charge on my bill. The waitress didn't disclose this. And the fee cam out to 19.25% of my subtotal. Well I tipped her another 15% even though the service was "God" awful. They snuck that in there on me and maybe I should have inspected my bill fully, but really? Don't go here!

• Visited March 2013