“So much to do” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Certificate of Excellence 2014
More attraction details
Owner description: Working plantation with true southern charm. Features world famous avenue of oaks, 9 original slave cabins, butterfly garden, and a colonial revival style 1936 mansion. Tours and theatrical performances offered daily. Used in the filming of North and South, Queen, the Tempest, and The Notebook.
California
28 attraction reviews
“So much to do”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014

I wish I would have scheduled more time for our visit. I wasn’t able to find out the event times until we arrived. There is a 30 minute guided tour of the first floor of the home. It starts every hour at the beginning and end of the day; and every half hour in the middle. The Slave Street and History Talk is every hour. You can tour Slave Street on your own. The audio in each cabin gives you good information. The Gullah Culture Talk is twice a day and lasts about an hour. The Plantation Coach Tour leaves every hour.

Pembroke Pines, Florida
18 attraction reviews
“Nice Experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2014

We visited Boone Hall Plantation in South Carolina. It was a humbling experience for us. At times sad because you can see the way people lived in the past. The plantation is nicely spaced out and is setup in a method in which you can get to see everything you need to. The only disappointment was that the Cotton Jin was closed down for restoration. The Avenue of the Oaks is amazing. The scenery - the tours all worth it. I would suggest leaving time to go visit Drayton Hall Plantation because it is the only remaining plantation that is in its original form.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“A Historical Must!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2014

Boone Hall Plantation was an amazing gem! I insisted that my daughter and I visit after reading other reviews and suggestions as to which plantation to visit. The Avenue of Oaks is amazing; beautiful oak trees lining the entry passage to the Plantation. You must take the tour around the property just to get a feel for what 400 acres of land looks like and the manpower that is needed to run such an estate. The house tour puts quite a bit into perspective. And although it is not the original house; actually its the 3rd on the property --- the wealth of information that is provided is well worth the additional 30 - 45 minutes. The slave dwellings also shed quite a bit of light of what plantation life must have been like to those enslaved.

I had one incident of insensitivity that could have tainted my view of the trip. As an African American I was already a little on edge visiting a plantation so my level of racial angst was already on a level 10. When my daughter and I went to get on the tractor pulled tour around the plantation the tractor driver kindly said to us [as we ran up] that there was just enough room for us two. As soon as we climbed up the tour guide immediately stated --- and I quote ---"there's no room up here for you". Now, clearly we could not sit together but there were two spaces; one of which [while ignoring his statement] I sat in and another that I instructed my daughter to sit in. I won't immediately pull the race card BUT since we are on a plantation and were the ONLY two African Americans with a sea of white faces starting at us as we boarded the tour it seemed a bit insensitive [just a tad]. Other than that --- everything was great! The tour guide was very knowledgeable and informative.

Grovetown
5 attraction reviews
“Must-do in Charleston”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2014

We toured the Boone Plantation last weekend. February is a tough time to visit something like this if one is excited to see the gardens and trees in full bloom. However, This place still had so much awe to inspire. The drive from the gate to the house in and of itself is nearly worth the entrance fee. The 300 year old oaks that cannopy the drive is magnificent.

We toured the only original still-standing slave houses, the plantation house itself, took a guided ride around the property and just soaked in the fact that we were standing on land with so much history, controversy, change, and influence behind it. It was a truly amazing experience and one we would be happy to do again when we go back to Charleston.

Newport, North Carolina
6 attraction reviews
“Awesome”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014 via mobile

Toured th Boone Plantation today and really enjoyed it. Wish we could of seen more of the house but since it was the third house built it wouldnt of been the same as in the 1700's. My fav was the Gullah deminstration it was finaminal. I believe our guide for the Gullah ancestry was Jacqueline. Kudos to her. It is a must see