“An absolutely perfect weekend getaway!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Charleston Harbor Resort & Marina

You added Charleston Harbor Resort & Marina to your Saves list
Charleston Harbor Resort & Marina
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   20 Patriots Point Road, Mount Pleasant, Mount Pleasant, SC 29464   |
Ranked #10 of 20 Hotels in Mount Pleasant
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Hickory, North Carolina
“An absolutely perfect weekend getaway!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2009

Wow... well, this could have been a disaster but ended really nicely. I booked a King Studio Suite through Priceline for a fraction of what the resort's website had it going for, so I was really excited. It was a rare weekend getaway for my husband and me, and I was looking forward to a nice, big room with a huge balcony (the suite had that). The morning of our trip, I decided to call and confirm. As it turns out, there is some major miscommunication between the resort and priceline. The agent told me she had us in a Standard King/Inland room. OH NO... no way. I had the confirmation in front of me and explained that I had booked the large corner King Suite room. She said none were available. I asked to speak to supervisor, yadda yadda yadda. 20 mins and some arguing later they had given me a really sweet deal - a smaller room but one of the upscale deluxe ones with a balcony overlooking the harbor for dirt cheap, free breakfast both days, free carriage ride, free aquarium tickets, etc. It turned out better than the original would have been and we actually saved quite a bit over what we would have paid through priceline. The agent called priceline and cancelled our reservation through them, and priceline gave us a full refund.

Check in was very easy. The staff (both Brians at the time) were great; very funny, easy-going guys who were eager to answer any questions and do anything for us. We went up to our room and were pleasantly surprised. They only had the 2-queen bed deluxe room but it was fine. It is NOT a large room, but it's really beautifully decorated with tons of gorgeous moulding and built-in cabinets, lovely nautical toile bedding and draperies, etc. There were two plush terry robes in the closet but we never used them. There is a safe in the closet but again, never used. Large-screen plasma TV was nice. Vanity. Lots of cabinets. Small fridge with (overpriced) drinks and a variety of (overpriced) snacks available. The Wi-Fi was finicky but it finally started working. The bathroom is nice - smallish but pretty. Weird acrylic shower "curtain" - it's just a piece of clear acrylic that is stationary and only covers half the length of the (jet) tub. Hair dryer. Good toiletry brand. Lots of nice soft towels.

The view from our 3rd-floor balcony was lovely. We were on the south facing side so we were shaded from the afternoon sun, whereas the west-facing balconies were full-sun. It was a huge relief. I would request the south-facing side of the resort for that purpose, especially in the summer!

We put our things away and had a drink on the balcony before exploring the grounds. We arrived on a Friday and they were gearing up for their Friday night resort party - very busy hustle and bustle. We walked the piers (one for the charters, one just a pier). We noticed that there was a soda-machine on the charter pier and 20 oz bottles of soda were only $1.00, whereas they were $3.00 for the same thing at the resort. It's literally steps away from the resort so if you need soda for a mixer (or just want some to drink) and didn't bring any, go to the charter pier! It's the pier where the water taxi picks up and drops off.

We went to the bar to have a drink but they had moved all the seating out for the party. That was sort of lame, but we found a place outside near their man-made "beach". NOTE: there is an entry fee for the party, but only for non-resort guests! We nearly paid $5.00 each just to go in and see what food they had available. Ask for a free wrist band in the bar and they'll confirm your room number and give you one. What does it entitle you to, you ask? Nothing! It gets you "in" so you can pay $5.00 for a crappy burger or taco. And it allows you to pay for drinks! They had a deal of $3 domestic beer or something of the sort for those wearing wrist bands. It also gets you in to hear the live band so I guess that's cool. We had brought our own (better) beer, so we bought a couple of burgers and went back to our room where we could enjoy the live music from our balcony.

Beds very comfortable with 4 pillows on each. Pillows too smooshy/soft for my taste, but not bad.

Breakfast was -marginal- and if they hadn't given us complimentary breakfast, I would have been p.o.'d. The continental buffet (breads, pastries, a few fruits, yogurt, juice, coffee) is $11 per person. The full American buffet (scrambled eggs, cheese grits, potatoes, bacon & sausage, plus the continental fare) is $16 per person. WAY overpriced for what you get. The coffee was good and the food was decent, but again, I wouldn't have paid the asking price. If you can't finagle free breakfast there, I would definitely venture out for something much less pricey.

The trolley is very convenient and we made use of it. Of course you are paying an $8 "resort fee" per day for the privilege of the "free" trolley but again, very convenient. Grab a trolley schedule at the front desk and plan to use "Ollie the Trolley" to get to and from the C'ton peninsula. Its last departure from the peninsula back to the resort is 10:15 pm.

The resort is centrally located to both the Charleston Peninsula and the Isle of Palms/Sullivan's Island beaches. We found it very easy to get around, though there's not a lot around the resort itself as far as other restaurants, shops, etc. They do have rental bikes that would be nice but we didn't use them.

We spent Saturday on the Isle of Palms beach, right near the Windjammer bar/grill. That was the -ticket-. Park right near the Windjammer (pay for a ticket at the kiosk - .75 per hour - or maybe half-hour, my husband paid it so I can't remember), then access the beach using the Windjammer. There is beach volleyball right there, also they usually have a couple of nets set up out on the beach right outside the bar/grill. Set yourself up on the beach near the Windjammer and you have restrooms and drinks/food at your fingertips. The food is good and very reasonable. They have free water also. BUT DON'T LET YOUR PARKING TICKET EXPIRE! They go up and down ticketing cars that haven't paid enough. Alcohol is prohibited on the beach as is glass. Dogs are allowed but must be on leash.

We went back to the resort to clean up and then had dinner at 82 Queen. It was a very nice place. The food was pretty good. The She-Crab soup is good but a tad too salty for my taste. Sweet potato bisque delightful and flavorful. The Frogmore Stew was good but again, a tiny bit too much salt. Wonderful creme brulee. The cheddar/garlic biscuits they brought out would have been great if they hadn't been so underdone.

The carriage tour in downtown Charleston was great and very informative. We recommend it. We saved our free aquarium tickets for next time when we bring our kids back, and we will be back.

We really enjoyed the Charleston Harbor Resort & Marina and definitely plan to come back!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (286)
NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2009

My husband and I went to Charleston for a weekend getaway and stayed here. We had a great experience. We checked in on a Friday and loved the charming room. The room was very clean (I'm very particular), the bathroom was beautiful and we had a great ocean view. We went to some nearby attractions, then returned to freshen up and have dinner. The dinner was delicious! My husband had the shrimp and grits, a first for us, and he was in heaven. We then enjoyed "Rockin' on the Point", an awesome concert held on Friday nights in the summer. It was great food, cold drinks and wonderful live music. The whole experience was great and we will definitely be returning to this great hotel.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, GA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2009

We just got back from a weekend stay at Charleston Harbor Resort and Would not recpommend this place. First, the rooms are extremley small and with the exception of the view(which is not much) there is no diferrence in the size and therefore not worth $399 per night for an upgraded room. We stayed at the delux Two queen Harbor view room and I must tell you that it was the smallest room in any hotel that I have ever stayed. My guess is that it is under 200 sf!!! The room was so small that I decided to take a shower in the hotel's spa and was told that there was no spa in the hotel. The food was also mediocare at best. It seemed as though they never expected anyone to come to the restaurants. All in all they are charging 5 star rates for a 3 star hotel. If you could pay under $200 then the pool may make it worthwhile but not 3,4 or $500 per night.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2009

I'm trying to figure out if some of these reviews I have read on this site are about the same hotel I just stayed in last night! This was the third visit to this resort and three times of the same fantastic stay just cannot be a coincidence. We have not stayed here since 2004 and nothing has changed. My wife and I had a wonderful experience and would recommend this hotel to anyone. Friendly staff, Clean rooms and common areas and oh yea did I mention that I walked up and received a room with a great view and balcony for less than $150.00! My daughter and I enjoyed the views of the harbor along with the location to everything in charleston. Check around Mt. Pleasent and try to get a cheaper room than that. Thanks and we will be back. Please read all reviews before choosing a hotel, some people apparently have standards higher than the moon. This place was everything it promises.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
Green Bay, WI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2009

Just returned from a three night stay at the Charleston Harbor Resort and Marina and I would not hesitate to recommend. We did have the upgraded King room (originally booked standard King, but on check in they offered a discount on upgrade). Staff and hotel were great. Clean as can be, very nice baths, amenities. Ate at the Reel restaurant our first night, very good. Much closer to historical district than we imagined and free trolley takes you over there and back...no parking or worries. Very good dining in nearby Mt Pleasant. Would stay there again. Great views of harbor, morning and night

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Charleston, SC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2009

My wife and I had an wonderful trip to the resort for a weekend getaway. It was perfect. The views of the Harbor and the porches on the rooms overlooking the beach were fabulous!

• Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
SC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2009

We were in Charleston for a wedding so had a large group staying in several rooms. We could not have been treated better. The rooms were nice, the view was excellent and the staff was very accommodating. In fact, one of the men in our group was burned at a downtown restaurant the first night we were there. When we got back to the hotel that night, I called the front desk to ask for first-aid cream to get us through the night until the next morning. Not only did they immediately respond, but provided bandages and antiseptic from their kitchen our entire stay. They could not have been kinder. I will not hesitate to stay at Charleston Harbor Resort on future visits.

• Liked — No problems, no mixups, we got what was promised.
  • Disliked — Breakfast accommodations could be better.
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Charleston Harbor Resort & Marina? Share your experiences!